What’s the story Mel?

BramcoteRam84

1 minute ago, rad1919 said:

With all due respect to those questioning what is going on at the moment I really don't see what is so hard to understand.

We had our chance with Mel's millions and we made an absolute hash of it. Lampard was the final roll of the dice and without some clever interpretation of the financial rules would have seen us staring at the abyss.

I can't imagine how Mel feels when he looks at other clubs who had similar opportunities to us (Leeds, Wolves) who went on to make reaching the Premier League look so straightforward.

So here we are. Cost cutting was always going to be on the agenda but chuck in a global pandemic for good measure and yes, it's pretty bleak for us right now.

We went through a phase of buying whoever we wanted and it was fun while it lasted, but ultimately and unbelievably it took us backwards. Time now to come together as a club and support the new path we must take.

I just hope we give it a real go tonight, I'm looking forward to it!

COYR!!

We've done it before. Gabby, Kitson, Johnson, Simpson, Short, Pembridge etc.

Once that was over, we sold Johnson and got Lee Mills. 

Life went on.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know loans arent always the answer but someone like delaps lad would have been spot on for us! Doubt he'd have come tho! 

its strange times at the mo, we dont know whats going on behind the scenes! I dont know him personally but mels obviously a good business man and seems to have Derby best interest at heart so we have to trust him! (I didnt to start with but hes grown on me lol) This season might have been different if it wasnt for covid! Theyve probably had to change direction and this, a long with a lot of other clubs, might be a season of just surviving in the league rather than pushing for anything!

plus there was always something wrong about Marriott off the pitch, must have been!

Anyway dont usual message on here but hope everyones well and stay safe!

Up the rams!!!

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He hired and fired our managers.

Yes of course but there is also an element of luck and bad advice.

Not many fans argued with Mel's selections but none of them came good. 

Leeds get Bielsa and Wolves get NES and the rest is history.

25 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

If you need Mel to level with you, I suspect you haven't been paying attention.

Just slightly patronising but we’ll move on from that.

Details please - how close are we to FFP, what are the loans from Dell about), what budget are we operating against the other teams. How much have we driven the wage bill down, where do we need to get to what’s the plan to get there, what does that mean for this season. A bit more openness about the situation is all I’m asking for, there will be details he can’t reveal certainly but that’s what I mean about level with us. We dont know anything about the current financial situation of the club, only the last set of accounts and P&S submissions. They’ve not even filed accounts for the last period, maybe he will reveal more once they have?

2 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Just slightly patronising but we’ll move on from that.

Details please - how close are we to FFP, what are the loans from Dell about), what budget are we operating against the other teams. How much have we driven the wage bill down, where do we need to get to what’s the plan to get there, what does that mean for this season. A bit more openness about the situation is all I’m asking for, there will be details he can’t reveal certainly but that’s what I mean about level with us. We dont know anything about the current financial situation of the club, only the last set of accounts and P&S submissions. They’ve not even filed accounts for the last period, maybe he will reveal more once they have?

What gives you the right to know any of that?

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We're fans, not owners. Why couldn't Mel have hired Bielsa?

That's kind of my point. He probably could have done but was advised not to or maybe he wasn't available at the time. Who knows? In any walk of life you need a bit of luck along the way and I don't think Mel's had much of that with DCFC.

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

What gives you the right to know any of that?

Doesn’t have to be exact details. Fans, who are paying to support the club without actually getting anything back except the most expensive tv subscription package deserve to know SOMETHING about the state of the club right now. We know nothing. We are  completely in the dark and if it continues for another season some may withdraw their support. 

Just now, BramcoteRam84 said:

Doesn’t have to be exact details. Fans, who are paying to support the club without actually getting anything back except the most expensive tv subscription package deserve to know SOMETHING about the state of the club right now. We know nothing. We are  completely in the dark and if it continues for another season some may withdraw their support. 

You don't have to pay for anything.

Those who want to withdraw their support are perfectly entitled to do so. In fact, if you want, you can flounce off like a prima donna. 

The club will go on.

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

There’s a pandemic and no income - financial sanity - ( other clubs will say we have spent loads) 

Hasn’t stopped the likes of forest recruiting 13 players in one window including two for this level very top end wingers ... don’t think they’ve paid much money for either by the look of it 

Grosicki and knockheart is about as good as it gets at this level 

The apparent lack of money is not just down to COVID-19. This has not helped but it all started when Mel wasted a lot of money when he first took over. We bought players we didn’t really need for over inflated prices. This failed to get us promoted. The damage was done here. I think things may have been eased but then the pandemic hit. Let’s also not forgot that after he sacked Clement he had to back Rowett and then Lampard. Lampard spent quite a bit on Waghorn, Marriott, Jozefzoon etc. That isn’t counting any potential loan fees for Mount, Tomori and Wilson. Also, if Lampard really enjoyed his time here then why not offer two or three of his best youngsters. He used us as a stepping stone and did nothing to invest in our squad.

41 minutes ago, rad1919 said:

Yes of course but there is also an element of luck and bad advice.

Not many fans argued with Mel's selections but none of them came good. 

Leeds get Bielsa and Wolves get NES and the rest is history.

Paul Clement zero managerial experience? But he then compounded the mistake with Lampard again zero managerial experience. Pearson lived up to his expectations of his behaviour in previous roles so no surprise there.

What's luck got to do with any of that. 

IMO Mel doesn't owe us fans anything.  He is running this club out of his own pocket, he has raised the stature of the club with tremendous investment in the youth facilities and he is Derby through and through.  We are indeed lucky to have him.  He makes mistakes, sure, but in the end it is he who pays for it.  We are a Championship club with aspirations for the Premier League, like every other team in this big division, but we have the infrastructure for the PL, unlike so many and why?  Because of Mel.  Be grateful for what we have and please stop this incessant moaning and thinking we are entitled to anything, except supporting the club we love through thick and thin.  i am critical of the playing style employed by Cocu, but i don't write much about it, because i feel we need some added positivity at the club.

Archived