What’s the story Mel?

BramcoteRam84

Think it’s time you level with us as to the current situation. The management say top 6 is the aim. While the transfer window has been largely solid with some astute wheeling and dealing, success is dependant on gambles like Ibe coming off, and a side with top 6 aspirations or even aspirations to better last season doesn’t do that by offloading Chris Martin and Jack Marriott and signing Colin Kazim-Richards. We will back Colin and hope he is an inspired bargain like Dickov and Kuqi were but let’s face it, this is a Burton Albion signing. 

Alongside the transfer business today there is more reports of loans from Michael Dell with charges being raised against the training ground now, as well as the other one on Pride Park. How bad is the situation and what is the plan here? We can back a long term plan but don’t take us for mugs and let your management team say Top 6 is the aspiration, the evidence of the transfer business particularly in the last 24 hours says otherwise.

If this season is stabilise/regress to build for the future then say it and manage expectations. Many of us still don’t have refunds we should’ve had by now and have paid full whack for season tickets this season despite only being able to watch on Rams TV for the foreseeable. We don’t mind, we’re behind the club in these difficult times but level with us. What’s going on?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely feels like Marriott has gone out the door due to urgent cost-cutting reasons after no replacement was brought in.

Not sure who has sanctioned that decisions but I refuse to believe it's for footballing reasons. Needing a striker and then choosing to ship out Marriott and bring in someone of CKR's calibre is just absurd. 

11 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Think it’s time you level with us as to the current situation. The management say top 6 is the aim. While the transfer window has been largely solid with some astute wheeling and dealing, success is dependant on gambles like Ibe coming off, and a side with top 6 aspirations or even aspirations to better last season doesn’t do that by offloading Chris Martin and Jack Marriott and signing Colin Kazim-Richards. We will back Colin and hope he is an inspired bargain like Dickov and Kuqi were but let’s face it, this is a Burton Albion signing. 

Alongside the transfer business today there is more reports of loans from Michael Dell with charges being raised against the training ground now, as well as the other one on Pride Park. How bad is the situation and what is the plan here? We can back a long term plan but don’t take us for mugs and let your management team say Top 6 is the aspiration, the evidence of the transfer business particularly in the last 24 hours says otherwise.

If this season is stabilise/regress to build for the future then say it and manage expectations. Many of us still don’t have refunds we should’ve had by now and have paid full whack for season tickets this season despite only being able to watch on Rams TV for the foreseeable. We don’t mind, we’re behind the club in these difficult times but level with us. What’s going on?

it amazes me that people are likening the signing to the "inspired" signing of Dickov and Kuqi....they were both useless..!!!!

I'm drained, seriously I'm struggling with this. I watch us getting weaker and weaker every season other than when we've plugged the gaps with a few loans. I'm completely aware of our financial restrictions but It doesn't mean this doesn't hurt. I'm not asking for big money signings, just a vision being followed. The NUMBER 1 priority was replacing CM19... We've signed a GK, RB, CB ,LW and RW... We left our number one target until last and failed, all whilst losing another striker, the only one left capable of something out of nothing.

It's all lip service. I don't see any coherent roadmap as to how we're going to get into the Top 6 especially after today and it just seems like hollow words. What's the plan? Limp along until January and hope we're not embroiled in a relegation scrap by then and kick on with some extra signings? Or maybe some more outgoings to bring some money into the coffers. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Mel and Cocu think this team is good enough for the top six. 

Let's hope they're right. 

Happy to be proven wrong, I think for it to be successful we’re relying on Waggy and Rooney delivering 10-15 goals each alternating for the number 9 with Ibe Sibbo Lawrence Jozwiak Knight all weighing in.

Think it’s about time he came out and answered some questions about the current situation. Fans not getting their season ticket refunds after being told they would is piss poor imo. And the end to this window has been nothing short of shocking. I know Coronavirus has caused major financial problems, but it’s affected everyone, not just Derby County.

Just an update on our financial situation would at least make fans more understanding of what’s going on at the moment. Are we still close to FFP? Are we waiting for a takeover before any more money is put in the club? If so, then you can understand what has happened this window. I’m not saying I don’t sympathise with the clubs situation, but not everyone will.

I mean if you look at this window on the face of it - we’ve sold two of our young talents, not reinvested most of the money on new players, let two strikers go and replaced them with a journeyman from Mexico, and are now heavily reliant on academy players up front and at LB. If GSE were still here, rightly or wrongly, they’d be getting slaughtered for that. Luckily since Mel is a Derby lad, he gets more support from the section of the fan base that might not be so understanding of the financial pressures the club is under. But that support won’t last forever - you’ve already got plenty of idiots on Twitter calling for the manager out etc. If Mel came out and explained how difficult it is for us as a club at the moment, then that might help temper expectations so fans understand we’re targeting mid table rather than the top 6, which in turn will relieve the pressure on Cocu.

5 minutes ago, Topram said:

I bet Cocu doesn’t 

Cocu said his aim this season was top 6. An improvement on last season should've been an easy transition. We've taken steps forward, but equally taken steps backwards to say we have improved IMO. 

Goalkeeper has undoubtedly been improved. The wide areas have also been undoubtedly improved. The defence, at the very best, you say it is as good as it was last season. The midfield should be better just due to player progression in Bird, Knight and Sibley. Not to mention Bielik being back. The striker position, however, is undoubtedly much weaker and it was an issue last season. 

We will have to wait and see what transpires. The injuries we've had already shows how quickly this squad can thin out. 

Yep, for me its time Mel stopped self promoting, going on Talksport like some fantastic businessman and levelled with the fans.

He has put a hell of a lot of money into the club and I feel sorry for him that he has seen very little for it, but, it would still be nice to know what the hell is going on.

The noises coming out of the club were that players would be joining after Ibe and Jozwiak etc, Cocu was confident a striker at least would come and even said "we need to make sure when the window closes we are happy with what we have got".

I've spent a whole week on holiday refreshing dcfcfans and Twitter waiting to see who we sign and the only bits of business is we get shot of Jozefzoon and Marriott.

My 425 quid I've paid this year to just watch a relegation scrap on RamsTv seems a bloody huge waste of money at the minute.

9 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Think it’s about time he came out and answered some questions about the current situation. Fans not getting their season ticket refunds after being told they would is piss poor imo. And the end to this window has been nothing short of shocking. I know Coronavirus has caused major financial problems, but it’s affected everyone, not just Derby County.

Just an update on our financial situation would at least make fans more understanding of what’s going on at the moment. Are we still close to FFP? Are we waiting for a takeover before any more money is put in the club? If so, then you can understand what has happened this window. I’m not saying I don’t sympathise with the clubs situation, but not everyone will.

I mean if you look at this window on the face of it - we’ve sold two of our young talents, not reinvested most of the money on new players, let two strikers go and replaced them with a journeyman from Mexico, and are now heavily reliant on academy players up front and at LB. If GSE were still here, rightly or wrongly, they’d be getting slaughtered for that. Luckily since Mel is a Derby lad, he gets more support from the section of the fan base that might not be so understanding of the financial pressures the club is under. But that support won’t last forever - you’ve already got plenty of idiots on Twitter calling for the manager out etc. If Mel came out and explained how difficult it is for us as a club at the moment, then that might help temper expectations so fans understand we’re targeting mid table rather than the top 6, which in turn will relieve the pressure on Cocu.

Yes that will help us sign players with what little money we do have and help us get good prices for our sales. I am sure this will also help with any potential investments. 

I would have thought it is evident from our signings that we have little money. My expectations have been tempered. I'm not sure Mel has to paint a picture.  

13 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Cocu said his aim this season was top 6. An improvement on last season should've been an easy transition. We've taken steps forward, but equally taken steps backwards to say we have improved IMO. 

Goalkeeper has undoubtedly been improved. The wide areas have also been undoubtedly improved. The defence, at the very best, you say it is as good as it was last season. The midfield should be better just due to player progression in Bird, Knight and Sibley. Not to mention Bielik being back. The striker position, however, is undoubtedly much weaker and it was an issue last season. 

We will have to wait and see what transpires. The injuries we've had already shows how quickly this squad can thin out. 

I’m only saying he doesn’t as he said he wanted to improve the striking options have we done that? 

50 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

If you need Mel to level with you, I suspect you haven't been paying attention.

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Yes that will help us sign players with what little money we do have and help us get good prices for our sales. I am sure this will also help with any potential investments. 

I would have thought it is evident from our signings that we have little money. My expectations have been tempered. I'm not sure Mel has to paint a picture.  

I didn’t say it would. And I’m not talking about you, or to be honest the majority of posters on here, I’m talking about the wider fan base.

With all due respect to those questioning what is going on at the moment I really don't see what is so hard to understand.

We had our chance with Mel's millions and we made an absolute hash of it. Lampard was the final roll of the dice and without some clever interpretation of the financial rules would have seen us staring at the abyss.

I can't imagine how Mel feels when he looks at other clubs who had similar opportunities to us (Leeds, Wolves) who went on to make reaching the Premier League look so straightforward.

So here we are. Cost cutting was always going to be on the agenda but chuck in a global pandemic for good measure and yes, it's pretty bleak for us right now.

We went through a phase of buying whoever we wanted and it was fun while it lasted, but ultimately and unbelievably it took us backwards. Time now to come together as a club and support the new path we must take.

I just hope we give it a real go tonight, I'm looking forward to it!

COYR!!

Archived