When the penny drops

Lander

Whilst I’ve remained faithful that we’re making the right decisions on player sales and incomings, I think this window has been when it’s really hit me what kind of financial restrictions we’re working within. 

I genuinely believed and trusted that we’d bring in some striking options and we have reduced them, I’m not massively fussed about specially about Marriott going because he’s not hit the ground running with us but to get rid of him and not have a replacement until potentially January is really disappointing.

Hopefully we can have our faith restored with players returning from injury, we’re not a million miles away and I hope we did what we did because Cocu is happy that he can work wonders with the quality we’ve got returning soon, because if not it’s going to be a rocky road this season.

Big performance and a win tonight to start the confidence snowballing anyone?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m just despondent over the whole club at the moment. A weak, thin squad too reliant on young players, and no money to strengthen it. Coupled with a boring style of play with little attacking flair, it’s difficult to have much enthusiasm at the moment. It feels like the Nigel Clough era again, and that was not a great time to be a Derby fan. And it difficult to see anything changing soon, unless we get some external investment. Just glad we don’t have to go tonight, because it would be a horrible atmosphere.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I’m just despondent over the whole club at the moment. A weak, thin squad too reliant on young players, and no money to strengthen it. Coupled with a boring style of play with little attacking flair, it’s difficult to have much enthusiasm at the moment. It feels like the Nigel Clough era again, and that was not a great time to be a Derby fan. And it difficult to see anything changing soon, unless we get some external investment. Just glad we don’t have to go tonight, because it would be a horrible atmosphere.

It's always a great time to be a Derby fan

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

You could always protest by posting less ?

10 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Oh gawd, yeah. Wish I hadn't read all that tbh. I'm trying to find a 'new saviour', was hoping it would be a late signing! #COYR

18 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Just be thankful you're not watching Tommy Doc's offerings ......now they were tough times. Some of you don't know you're born !

I think these are on strange times and are a test for any club! Objectives have probably changed now due to covid, its about survival, finacially! One thing that is reasuring tho is we have a clever business man in charge, who it would seem has derbys best interests at heart, which is a better position than a lot of other clubs!

I'll be honest this feels like the final knockings of Nigel Clough's time as manager -  a sense of torpor and just meh. Groundhog Day season after season. Totally flat. Having to make do with fill ins and stop gaps. Dull football being served up. No real serious signs of advancement. Supporters started to drift away which is when decisive action was taken. 

10 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'll be honest this feels like the final knockings of Nigel Clough's time as manager -  a sense of torpor and just meh. Groundhog Day season after season. Totally flat. Having to make do with fill ins and stop gaps. Dull football being served up. No real serious signs of advancement. Supporters started to drift away which is when decisive action was taken. 

Short memories. Only 18 months since Wembley and I was thinking we only have 3 players left from the entire squad of that match day.

Our player situation feels more like early clough as the clearing out, cost reduction and profit taking looks to have been pretty relentless.

My concern at present is whether we've identified and got a few players we can rebuild around. That might be some of the youngsters, but equally we might be trying to extract profit from them.

12 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

This isn’t a Groundhog Day season ... this years a relegation battle 

4 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

My concern at present is whether we've identified and got a few players we can rebuild around. That might be some of the youngsters, but equally we might be trying to extract profit from them.

Agree, who? But also what are we trying to build?

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Agree, who? But also what are we trying to build?

I think that the answer to the second question is - at the risk of sounding glib - a fast paced, athletic but technical footballing side.

That's what I've gleaned from the nature of the youths being promoted,  the Cocu signings, and the playing out from the back stuff.

Unfortunately the spine of our team is as old as the Pennines and we're playing youth out of position to fill glaring gaps, so I think at the moment we are not even trying to build and can't until we get something like a full squad together. 

8 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think that the answer to the second question is - at the risk of sounding glib - a fast paced, athletic but technical footballing side.

That's what I've gleaned from the nature of the youths being promoted,  the Cocu signings, and the playing out from the back stuff.

Really?! I'd never have guessed that was the aim. ? Eldorado seems a long way off.

Archived