Derbyshire cricket 2021

jimbo jones

220-5 at tea

Thought it would be allover by now at 11 this morning. Guest and Dal have looked in no trouble at all really. New ball due, that’s the big test, can these 2 see that off and carry on. Thomson can bat, but you wouldn't want the dealers coming in to the new ball.

3 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Apparently our top 5 batsmen were playing on a different pitch to everybody else.

Bizarely Leicestershire haven't taken the new ball.

Neither did Derbyshire in similar circumstances yesterday, and it was entirely predictable in the circumstances.

It is blazing hot (I'm using my brolly as a sunshade, and the players are having a drinks break every 40 minutes), Leicestershire have spent 2.5 hours in the field and there were oy 4 overs before tea - and both batsmen are well set. Far better for the seamers to have a quick shower and come out fresh.

48 minutes ago, Grumpy Git said:

Derbyshire miss-out on a batting bonus point by 1 ball, you couldn't make it up! Scored 300 on the 661st ball.

Top sledging by Ben Mike.

Throughout the last over, he was in Alex Thomson's earhole (albeit from 50 yards away) while Callum Parkinson was bowling the 110th over... "Come on, Alex. You only need two for a bonus point" etc. Three swipes across the line followed, unfortunately the last delivery was dead straight.

In the context of the match, it was a big moment, because it gave Leicestershire a lift, and they finally winkled a very weary Brooke Guest out (remember that he had kept wicket for 169 overs).

I prefer to concentrate on today's positives, although it is 'fashionable' on here to take the piss out of Derbyshire (and I'm as guilty of that as anyone).

• Brooke Guest - maiden first-class century.
  • Anuj Dal - maiden first-class century
  • Guest and Dal shared an all-time Derbyshire record 6th wicket partnership of 227, breaking the record of 212 previously set up by Garnet Lee and Stan Worthington at Chesterfield v Essex in 1932.

It's a small glimmer to take pride in, during an otherwise wretched season.