Derbyshire cricket 2021

jimbo jones

44 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Surrey have sent us Jade Dernbach on loan. He’s played some of Surreys games in the T20 this year, but not the recent ones.

Obviously played for England a few years back, 35 now.

Feeder club - I love it.

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

Feeder club - I love it.

Can never really be anything but. It's very much a 2-tier system, with 9 counties having test grounds and 9 not. Factor in the fact that Derbyshire have one of, if not the lowest, number of members (a few hundred compared to Surrey's 10,000+ and Yorkshire's 8,000) and you can see why we are permanently strapped for cash.

1 hour ago, jimbo jones said:

3 wickets for Dernbach on debut, Worcestershire get 167.

in other news Du Plooy is going off to play for Welsh Fire in that 100 rubbish. Didn’t know they could still steal your players at this point ?

What another shocking display. Reece does brilliantly but our batting afterwards is nothing short of woeful.

Honestly - Do they think you win 20/20 games scoring 4/5/6 an over? What instruction are they given?

I am glad I haven’t wasted money going to any games this season.

33 minutes ago, rammieib said:

What another shocking display. Reece does brilliantly but our batting afterwards is nothing short of woeful.

Honestly - Do they think you win 20/20 games scoring 4/5/6 an over? What instruction are they given?

I am glad I haven’t wasted money going to any games this season.

Batting line up just looks a bit weak, Hudson-Prentice batting at 6 shows that. We struggle with the bat outside the power play overs, just ticking over at a run a ball with the odd boundary would probably do, but we get bogged down going 3/4/5 an over. Disappointing really, we could easily have had 5 more points and be in the mix, instead the competition is over for us.

Michael Cohen has signed a 1 year extension to his contract. He’s still a bit rough around the edges, but worth persisting with another year.

Alex Thomson has signed a 2 year contract, and will stay with us after his loan for this season finishes. He’a done okay in the T20’s, interested to see if he plays in the Championship games.

Looking towards next season, we have plenty of bowling options, so hope we address the batting department with a quality signing, overseas or otherwise.

14 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Batting line up just looks a bit weak, Hudson-Prentice batting at 6 shows that. We struggle with the bat outside the power play overs, just ticking over at a run a ball with the odd boundary would probably do, but we get bogged down going 3/4/5 an over. Disappointing really, we could easily have had 5 more points and be in the mix, instead the competition is over for us.

But it’s the intent in the middle overs. I don’t even see a plan of any type.

16 minutes ago, rammieib said:

But it’s the intent in the middle overs. I don’t even see a plan of any type.

Well yeah, that’s my point, run a ball and the odd boundary should be the plan. Swinging like idiots and going for silly shots is what got us in trouble last night, and has done many times this season. Unless your on a complete road of a wicket (and thankfully most teams don’t seem to be putting those types of wickets out this year) runs in the middle overs aren’t easy to come by.

Our bowlers have been good at strangling teams in those overs to, one big issue we have is if Reece, Du Plooy and Critchley get out, there’s no one capable blasting us to victory in the final overs. 

It’s been very much Deja Vu this season. Reece leads the charge as we fly out the blocks in the power play. Field goes back, fail to keep the strike rotated, too many dot balls, panic and go for big shots with fielders on the boundary and get caught out (or miss the ball and get bowled) get behind the run rate and lose wickets, which is a recipe for disaster. Lower order batsmen required to go at 12 runs an over for a sustained period, of which we don’t have anyone capable of doing....equals lots of defeats

19 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

To be fair, taking McDermott, Madsen and Hughes out of that batting line up is going to have an affect….

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

Who are more of an embarrassment our football or cricket team…....discuss……

Depends, if we are still this bad when we go into the second group stage with all the other rubbish teams....then it could be close. For now it’s the football team.

Just now, jimbo jones said:

Depends, if we are still this bad when we go into the second group stage with all the other rubbish teams....then it could be close. For now it’s the football team.

We can’t seem to get more than 150 when we bat, losing by an innings is the norm. To answer my own question I think they are both as bad as each other. Very sad times…

1 minute ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We can’t seem to get more than 150 when we bat, losing by an innings is the norm. To answer my own question I think they are both as bad as each other. Very sad times…

Middlesex, Sussex and Kent haven’t been any better, Kent have been bowled out for 74 twice this season ? Don’t think anyone needs to worry about day 3 tickets when we play them...

Will probably be Leicestershire and Worcestershire also in the bottom group. Hopefully we can at least be competitive in that group ?