Derbyshire cricket 2021

jimbo jones

25 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

He got in the 20’s which is close enough...

In fairness, he does contribute as a Jonty Rhodes type cover point/backward point fielder. It's difficult to justify his inclusion on athleticism alone though. The upper order has been largely non-existent since April, and that's where the problem lies. A team which is seemingly incapable of building partnerships, let alone the prerequisite of posting 300 in the first dig is not going to win matches. The seam attack is very inexperienced and just learning their way in the game, and by and large have performed way above expectations. There is no 'old head' - a couple of years ago we had the likes of Palladino and Rampaul, both vastly experienced, and before that the likes of international players Hardus Viljoen and Duanne Olivier.

Derbyshire are not a wealthy county by any means, they have the lowest membership of any side in the championship, no large test ground and basically live hand to mouth. Consequently, recruitment is always going to be a problem.

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

In fairness, he does contribute as a Jonty Rhodes type cover point/backward point fielder. It's difficult to justify his inclusion on athleticism alone though. The upper order has been largely non-existent since April, and that's where the problem lies. A team which is seemingly incapable of building partnerships, let alone the prerequisite of posting 300 in the first dig is not going to win matches. The seam attack is very inexperienced and just learning their way in the game, and by and large have performed way above expectations. There is no 'old head' - a couple of years ago we had the likes of Palladino and Rampaul, both vastly experienced, and before that the likes of international players Hardus Viljoen and Duanne Olivier.

Derbyshire are not a wealthy county by any means, they have the lowest membership of any side in the championship, no large test ground and basically live hand to mouth. Consequently, recruitment is always going to be a problem.

The Warwickshire commentator compared him to Trevor Penney today. I can see why they want him in the team, he a up there with the best fielders around. But with him joining the long list of batsmen who can't score any runs, and he very rarely bowls, it does seem difficult to justify a place in the team for him.

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

What will our best 20/20 Xi be?

Hmmm, at a guess these 8 will be in

Godleman, Reece, Du Plooy, Madsen, McDermott, Critchley, Guest, Van Beek 

The last 3 spots are hard to pick, is probably go Hudson-Prentice, the new spinner from Warwickshire who's name I've forgotten and Melton, who's been good bowling at the end in the past.

8 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Hmmm, at a guess these 8 will be in

Godleman, Reece, Du Plooy, Madsen, McDermott, Critchley, Guest, Van Beek 

The last 3 spots are hard to pick, is probably go Hudson-Prentice, the new spinner from Warwickshire who's name I've forgotten and Melton, who's been good bowling at the end in the past.

Not sure if Billy still warrants a place, maybe open with Wood and McDermott. Think I would have Hughes in and probably Conners too....

21 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not sure if Billy still warrants a place, maybe open with Wood and McDermott. Think I would have Hughes in and probably Conners too....

He had a better average than Du Plooy, Reece, Hughes and Critchley in last year's competition. Definitely a place for him in my side, even if it’s not as opener. Wood as an extra batsman sounds good, we’d still have plenty of bowling.

27 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

He had a better average than Du Plooy, Reece, Hughes and Critchley in last year's competition. Definitely a place for him in my side, even if it’s not as opener. Wood as an extra batsman sounds good, we’d still have plenty of bowling.

McDermott, Wood, Reece, Du Plooy, Madsen, Critchley, Hughes, Hudson-Prentice, Van Beek, Thompson, Conners

4 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

McDermott, Wood, Reece, Du Plooy, Madsen, Critchley, Hughes, Hudson-Prentice, Van Beek, Thompson, Conners

I forgot McDermott was a wicket keeper ? and that he, Van Beek and Melton can’t all play ?‍♂️

id sill play Godleman over Hughes, but agree with the other 10

11 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

I forgot McDermott was a wicket keeper ? and that he, Van Beek and Melton can’t all play ?‍♂️

17 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

McDermott called up by the Aussies, won’t play for us again

Every cloud has a silver lining

2 year contract for young lad who’s been playing in the 2nds. 22 years old and has 5 first class matches for Hampshire under his belt.

Scored 113 not out off 54 balls in a recent seconds t20 game, and is said to be a strong, powerful hitter....just what we need.

Hughton said of his signing, he will get chances this summer, will be an interesting one to follow.

4EAD5530-22EA-48DD-93B3-D2DA50E4E174.jpeg

Edited by jimbo jones