I was wrong

Mafiabob

Fully admit I bought into the hype about having Frank Lampard as manager. But now we are reducing the wage bill and clientele because of his mistakes in the transfer market.

BuT hE bOuNcEd

Ive git criticisms of Cocu and the way we are now, don’t get me wrong.... but the hand he’s been dealt because of Frank and Co has put us where we are.

I was wrong..... plain and simple

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see it far more as a longer term symptom of going all out to get promoted and failing.

Most clubs who do that get one or two bites at it, but, we've had about five. Sooner or later it was going to catch up no matter how benevolent Mel is as an owner.

As for Lampard, his signings have been mixed bag, Waghorn and the loans good, Evans and Holmes decent value signings, Marriott not really worked out, Zoon terrible. But Lampard was really a last crack at it. Cocu is here to rebuild and bring youth through. It's a different breif. 

10 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Fully admit I bought into the hype about having Frank Lampard as manager. But now we are reducing the wage bill and clientele because of his mistakes in the transfer market.

BuT hE bOuNcEd

Ive git criticisms of Cocu and the way we are now, don’t get me wrong.... but the hand he’s been dealt because of Frank and Co has put us where we are.

can't say I agree.  What pushed you over the edge, JM?

Agree with Derbados on this one. Frank was an inexperienced, ambitious manager. Mel signed off on the deals. Don't get me wrong Mel was putting his money up for the club he loves and if we'd have gone up it would've been a materstroke. But we didn't go up...

Frank also didn't sign Martin, Huddlestone, Keogh, Carson, Johnson, Nugent, Anya or Bryson who if the rumours are correct were all on a fair wedge. All of the above have now departed and have their wages been transferred fully in to this current squad? Definitely not. There's cutting back and then there's amputating, which is what we are now currently doing but this week's dealings. 

2 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

I was a big fan of Frank also but of his permanent signings only Holmes has been a success. Waggy has been a solid performer but not worth what we paid.

Waggy -£7m

Marriott - £5m

Jozefzoon - £2.75m

Malone - £3m

Thats potentially £15m+ that we will need to write off against P&S ???

I think the biggest mistake by far in last few years was giving Martin a contract extension on ridiculous wages, when he was ON LOAN - I know that wasn't Frank 

5 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Cocu plays a style that requires good quality all over the pitch and unfortunately I don't think we can afford it. If we played a more shitehouse style of football it wouldn't be as big of an issue.

Shitehouse style of football ?Love that term 

3 minutes ago, Hathersage Ram said:

I think the biggest mistake by far in last few years was giving Martin a contract extension on ridiculous wages, when he was ON LOAN - I know that wasn't Frank 

What? Bigger than signing Blackman? Anya? Malone? 

Lampard had an awesome season with us. Let's not rewrite history too far the other way. In his first season of management, he managed to transform our style of play in his first ever transfer window and brought a unity back to the club. The 'bounce' wasn't an inconsequential moment of fun - it was orchestrated, it was clever, and it worked. We all bought into him because we believed he had bought into us. As it turns out, that was something of an illusion, but it's still part of his skill set.

The problem was Lampard's kingdom was built on sand. A lot of our success was boom or bust by its nature, relying on players clearly playing at a level below where they should have been, who we were developing for someone else and were impossible to replace when they left. We really had to go up that season to keep the momentum going.

Tomori, Mount and Wilson, combined with Frank's appeal, helped to elevate some very average players (some of whom Frank signed for vast amounts of money) to a level they would never be able to replicate. We have since regressed to the mean. 

The 'boom' under Cocu will never be as spectacular, but we're building something. Whatever you think of Cocu, he's made it easier for his successor than Lampard did.

As much as I don’t like him, I am not sure they were Lampard’s mistakes as such.

If some are saying that Cocu wasn’t responsible for signing Dowell, Paterson, Bielik, Rooney, Clarke et al and put his faith in others to pinpoint the right type of player, then how can we blame Lampard for signing Marriott, Waghorn, Jozefzoon and Malone?

Surely the fault lies with the recruitment team?

39 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

BuT hE bOuNcEd

F20FDE55-CAA4-4019-9A90-D75EB61FA985.gif

The signings would've initially been identified by the recruitment team. The same recruitment team at the club now and have been for a long time despite an extraordinary long list of players who have left the club for much less than they came in. When Albentosa can be considered one of their better deals then that's what we're up against as we got a profit off him. 

The academy recruitment has been good in comparison, so it just makes you wonder what on earth is going on at a first team level. 

Archived