Jack Marriott - joined Sheff Wed on season long loan

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

It does seem ironic that probably the best finisher we have might be leaving now we have two quality wingers. 

I don't think Marriott's ever been 'clinical', mostly due to the type of shots he takes on. A high percentage are usually first time efforts from awkward angles. However, his minutes per goal ratio is good (when fully fit) due to the high number of shots he takes on.

Marriott will score loads of goals if he plays in a two up front, which has not been the case here. I thought when we play with wing backs that would enable us to have played two up top and play the wingers in the normal formation. With the amount of games this season it would be ideal to be able to switch formations for different games and use fresh players. (2 games a week every week until the season end).

Imagine if we let him go and then don't sign Wilson? 

Although, saying that, Colin Kazim Richards has been brought in because Marriott can't do his job to a good enough standard. It's an utterly sad state of affairs, considering how good Marriott has been at times. A 34 year old that lost his place for a no-mark team in Mexico has been seen as the prefered option to Marriott going forward because he seemingly can't get his head right. 

Tragedy. 

Genuinely can't understand how some people would be accepting of this?

We needed a striker in even with Marriott here. 

Get rid of him and we need another. 

We've bought in a journeyman striker from the back end of Mexico. Who has scored more 10 goals in a season once in his 16 year career.

To have our striking options as Rooney, Waghorn and Kazim-Richards would be suicide.

So that’ll leave us with Turkish Colin and his 4 goals a season and Waggy as our striking options? Well that’s so ducking stupid it’s exactly what Derby will do ? it’s nailed on folks.

6 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Genuinely can't understand how some people would be accepting of this?

We needed a striker in even with Marriott here. 

Get rid of him and we need another. 

We've bought in a journeyman striker from the back end of Mexico. Who has scored more 10 goals in a season once in his 16 year career.

To have our striking options as Rooney, Waghorn and Kazim-Richards would be suicide.

Bobby Duncan is a striker in a similar mould to Jack and I'd guess that he has a much higher potential and is probably close enough to Jack's skill level now, or even better than him. I know he was "signed for the under 23's" but what other Under 23 player have we signed and done a full video interview and social media hype with?

I expect Duncan might be first choice by the end of the season or at least be a mainstay in the match day squads.

20 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

A 34 year old that lost his place for a no-mark team in Mexico has been seen as the prefered option to Marriott going forward because he seemingly can't get his head right. 

There's nothing wrong with his head, Cocu just doesn't utilise him properly or play to his strengths. You can't ask him to drop deep and hold up the ball because he's just not that sort of player. I'm very disappointed because I'm certain if we played to his strengths we would have a top striker on our hands. Absolute disaster 

"Jack Marriott doesn't fit our system"

Who's system would he fit, though? I can't see a place for him in many Championship teams tbh

"We don't play to his strengths" 

Which strengths are those? I can only really name one major strength and a whole lot of average!?

He's not particularly quick, isn't strong or persistent in chasing down defenders, he can't hold it up, he has no physical presence against an opposition defender, he can't 'face up' to the opposition and run at players, he won't be heavily involved in passing moves or draw opposition players away to create space for others.

How many Championship teams play in a way where their strikers sole responsibility is to run in behind the opposition & onto through-balls or getting onto crosses (but only crosses from deep)?

Broadly speaking he's a League One standard footballer with upper Championship level finishing, but his own movement to get into the space to score is no better than decent.

He's Adam Le Fondre, but not as good -  he could play a bit part at any level and bag a few goals but I can't see him being an automatic starter in many teams.

Archived