Premier League want to reduce from 20 to 18 teams

Curtains

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The floor to the way they calculated the average positions was to give a fake position for seasons outside of the football league. Those initial 20 years making the difference 

However you calculate it neither Chelsea Or Tottenham or Manchester United or Liverpool or barrow or Derby or shrewsbury or MK Dons should be allowed to make decisions regarding the rest of the league unchallenged. 

the EFL and all the idiot Parry will bend over and take It because that is all the have ever done... but it won’t be his fault...

I really hope it goes ahead. I really want them to play mini leagues in China and expand the Champions League. Make it so over 10 years you get about 22 different teams appearing in the PL. Completely lock us all out. 

Chuck us down your bribe money

And one day, the average stupid football fan will look into his empty wallet and ask himself if he actually enjoyed watching the Shanghai Cup Final between United and Bayern.

He'll take the dog for a walk and pass a U15's Sunday league game. He'll watch on with interest as there's no pathetic feigning injury, diving, yellow cards for excessive force, VAR and basically every other bit of knob head behaviour that comes with the superstars

He'll realise he doesn't need Evra to tell him which way a keeper should have dived to save the ball. He didn't need Carragher to circle a midfielder to show him what one looks like. 

He'll enjoy the game even though it hasn't got fake enhanced crowd noise and cringe adverts of fans really enjoying the SUPER SUNDAY between Newcastle and Palace. 

He might realise that a team can lose and it's not the nuclear holocaust. That the PL title race happens every season. Every. Single. Season. And every season it's THE season!!! The title race to end them all. 

He might actually enjoy watching a game with no advertising budget, less whinging and a lot lot less cheating. A game where any club from any division can be top dog. 

Man City v Spurs is only a super massive huge season defining game because of pretty lights, bells and whistles. Jamie Carragher says we need to see it and we throw our money in his pockets. 

When will someone say duck off Jamie? It's the same poo that's going on down the park. 

5 hours ago, Alpha said:

I really hope it goes ahead. I really want them to play mini leagues in China and expand the Champions League. Make it so over 10 years you get about 22 different teams appearing in the PL. Completely lock us all out. 

Chuck us down your bribe money

And one day, the average stupid football fan will look into his empty wallet and ask himself if he actually enjoyed watching the Shanghai Cup Final between United and Bayern.

He'll take the dog for a walk and pass a U15's Sunday league game. He'll watch on with interest as there's no pathetic feigning injury, diving, yellow cards for excessive force, VAR and basically every other bit of knob head behaviour that comes with the superstars

He'll realise he doesn't need Evra to tell him which way a keeper should have dived to save the ball. He didn't need Carragher to circle a midfielder to show him what one looks like. 

He'll enjoy the game even though it hasn't got fake enhanced crowd noise and cringe adverts of fans really enjoying the SUPER SUNDAY between Newcastle and Palace. 

He might realise that a team can lose and it's not the nuclear holocaust. That the PL title race happens every season. Every. Single. Season. And every season it's THE season!!! The title race to end them all. 

He might actually enjoy watching a game with no advertising budget, less whinging and a lot lot less cheating. A game where any club from any division can be top dog. 

Man City v Spurs is only a super massive huge season defining game because of pretty lights, bells and whistles. Jamie Carragher says we need to see it and we throw our money in his pockets. 

When will someone say duck off Jamie? It's the same poo that's going on down the park. 

We've all been fed this nonesense for nearly 30 years. There are a large section of football fans who know nothing but the Premier League. All the 'swoosh' sound effects when a graphic comes on the screen. Endless hours of pundits telling them what to think. Soccer Saturday - a corporate programme styled to look like it's 'real' fan culture.

Just before we hired Paul Clement I got into a discussion with some young lads on Twitter who were conviced he'd take the (then vacant, PL) Sunderland job. I asked why. "Because we're Premier League. We've got Premier League players". As if the PL is somehow some magic badge of honour. I mean, if you really think the Premier League cares about you if you're not one of the Big 6 then you're deluded. It's not about Sunderland, or Palace, or Burnley or Derby. None of those clubs matter to the "Premier League".

I'd love them to have a Super League. It won't be what they think it is. There's one flaw they're not considering: someone has to finish bottom of it. How will that go down with Chelsea fans around the world if they were to finish bottom of a league? Quite damaging to their 'brand', I'd say. Thats another thing I hate - football clubs as brands.

Within 5 years they'd all come knocking on the doors of their domestic leagues again, begging to be let back in so they could go back to steamrollering everyone else again. And that would be perfect, because if I had my way I'd tell them to duck off and slam the door in their faces.

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Doesn't seem fair to me. As an example (and made up figures), Derby could lose £10m as a result of Covid, but Luton lose £2m. Both receive the same amount as a bail out. Personally, I think all clubs should make submissions showing unexpected lost income, with the bail out matching those values.

It’s not a bail out though is it? It’s a bribe and you have to bribe all the voting members who think they will gain from it. Will they , only time will tell but the proposals do stink in many ways but at least the money in the premiership is being publicly debated in negative ways.

This idea depresses me so much and all fans should be against this.

I would doubt Derby are one of the efl teams that are in the 90% of clubs who like this idea. 

I wonder if the Premier league will come up with a secondary proposal. 

I'd have thought that they would have done a 2x18 league (prem1, prem2), one-off covid bailout and an ongoing (increased) solidarity payment. 

2 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

I would doubt Derby are one of the efl teams that are in the 90% of clubs who like this idea. 

I'd have thought that they would have done a 2x18 league (prem1, prem2), one-off covid bailout and an ongoing (increased) solidarity payment. 

Unfortunately, EFL clubs are desperate for any cash. This is little more than a BRIBE. Scrapping of the league cup? Well I guess the big teams don't care but takes away chance of extra revenue for smaller clubs and maybe opens up the door to extra European competition / super leagues in the future. Cutting the teams in the top division? 2 fewer competitive clubs and again, opening space in the calendar for the bigger clubs. Scrapping of community shield? space in the calendar for money making - lucrative pre season tours.  Special voting rights? Consolidation of power. The issue is there are obviously benefits for smaller clubs so it's little surprise they are desperate for this. A quick injection of cash during the COVID crisis. There needs to be an alternative plan, government intervention or something viable that won't involve a small number of bigger clubs consolidating their power on the English game. 

Essentially, because the Premier League exists as its own entity with a small collection of financially powerful clubs, this kind of scenario is hard to avoid. I think it will eventually get pushed through unfortunately, especially now as small clubs will be decimated by the COVID crisis. 

11 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Prem1 & Prem2 has been talked about by fans for ages, and to a degree it makes sense, England has 30+ clubs who could be viable premier league clubs and the championshi is littered with teams with top flight history.

But the big money clubs don't want that, they want the shop closed as much as is possible. Not competition but a cabal of six+lackies to run the game in the way they want. Big Picture is a brib to let them have it and the EFL clubs are in bad enough shape to take it. They'd have a premier league of 12 with 1 relegation spot (if any) if they thought they could get away with it.

It'll end up being like the Old Firm in Scotland except there's 6 of them instead of 2.

In order for all this to stop there has to be a collective realisation from all fans across the board that some may find uncomfortable: your beloved club does not care about you. All they care about is ££££.

Stop paying £50 a year for a new shirt. (Remember when it was a new shirt every 2 years?) 

Stop paying £4.80 for a pint of crap beer in the ground.

Stop paying for your Sky and BT subscriptions - you're only funding a system which is set up to screw your club anyway.

All football is interested in now is how much more money they can squeeze out of fans. It's all about putting prices up as far as they can go before the public say "no more"

"Hey, do you reckon if we added another 5p to a pint the fans would pay it?"

"Look! They're paying it! I wonder if they would still buy if we put it up by another 5p.."

Stop being treated as cash cows. Say no to it all. We're all being treated as mugs.

17 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

What we have to be careful is to remember that this isn't supported by most premier league teams, nor the Premier league itself. there is even less insensitive for teams 7-20 in the prem to agree to this than any other. 

Then allow clubs 1-6 to rejoin the EFL and leave clubs 7-20 to play in their own league then... good luck selling those media rights!

A lot of the complaints against the plans are about the special voting rights.

TV deals
If we had a similar rule in the Championship, we probably wouldn't be in this mess, as we would have blocked the shambolic deal the EFL signed, and would have had the possibility of getting a better deal. 
However, it may be possible for the 9 teams to negotiate a deal which favours themselves. All that is needed is a rule to be put in place to prevent this.

Election/removal of CEO/board member
Sounds good in principal. Prevents them being stuck with someone like Harvey/Parry.

Changes to cost control rules
I assume this is relating to P&S. The top clubs are restrained by UEFA P&S rules which are stricter than current rules. Surely no bad can come of this?

Preventing changes to centralised rights
This could prevent the other PL clubs getting a better slice of the PL pie, but if the deal is good enough in the first place, this should be a concern.

Preventing changes to the PL structure
Maybe not a good rule. If we go down to 18 PL clubs, they could prevent going back to 20 and could prevent the change to the relegation/playoff system. This is one of the rules which shouldn't go ahead.

Preventing new owners from taking over
Another rule which must not go ahead. If the league board do their job properly this rule shouldn't be required. It's also open to abuse, preventing smaller clubs gate crashing the big boys.

It's not far off being the ideal deal, it just needs some negotiation to take place.

2 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Derby will without doubt be one of the clubs that are in favour of taking the dirty money. 

Archived