Premier League want to reduce from 20 to 18 teams

Curtains

53 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

In that case he's as unfit for his role as Parry.

Some people are seeing this as only affecting the PL, and everyone else doing well.

By bringing the EFL on board, we'd be allowing 6 clubs to dictate the future of 90 clubs all the way down, not the 20 top flight clubs we presently have, or even the 18 they'd become.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/10/2020 at 21:05, Eddie said:

A team could spend an entire season not being worthy of promotion, finish 6th and then, over 3 games, earn the big prize.

I think that’s what we’re relying on ?

Actually, a lot if the proposals make sense, filtering money down the pyramid,  scrapping the League Cup (always thought it pointless) etc.

I think the only thing i have an issue with is the voting so if they can change that bit, I'd be all in.

They want to protect clubs in the pyramid? 

Recognising heritage does not mean giving a vote to a club like Southampton ffs, 1 FA cup .

Change the votes so that the top 6 requires a 2/3 majority to pass anything.

Give a voting fraction ( 1/2 or 1/4 ) to each founder member.

Little things like that would go a long way.

Not sure if anyone has just heard Mel Morris on 5 Live just now. He came on around 7:20 if anyone wants to find it to listen back.

Sounds like he's very much in favour of this whole idea, but I can only assume it's more to do with getting cash into the club to make it a better prospect for potential investors or even a sale.

From a John Percy article in The Telegraph.

“Sources have indicated that in the face of majority opposition from the Premier League, the only way forward for Liverpool and United - and any other leading clubs who throw their support in with the two - would to be leave and join the EFL.“

..............................nice one John.

I think this could happen.

The people strongly against it are the Premier League executive, because they will lose power, and the smaller PL teams, because they will lose money - to the EFL mostly - and because 5 of them will get relegated instead of 3. But they are faced with the prospect that if they say no to everything, the big clubs can just rejoin the EFL and say to the rest of the PL, up to you, join us if you want. Parry did not deny that is an option, which is probably a message to the smaller PL clubs. Hence West Ham screaming about how it's terribly unfair.

Just seen Old Spalding Ram's post above. That John Percy article is also a message, and confirmation of the plan. 

Two big questions that need answering for the EFL in my opinion 

1) is £250 million good enough for the worst case scenario? What if we can’t have fans in stadiums for the whole of this season and into next?

2) is 25% enough of the tv deal long term? Is that negotiable? How does that deal work? What’s going to happen with PPV?

This deal is a start but should by no means be an end. For now I’d concentrate on making sure there’s money on the table for those clubs that are facing the brink without signing the league away.

If MM and SP are supporting this concept, their not looking at what their fans think and representing their fans very much.

Ad for the PL - 18 team league - 34 games, could be knocked out the FA Cup in round 3, so 35 game season. That's not very attractive. All because the big 6 will have their European games to go and play and want to be less tired.

Sorry - but this proposal isn't for me. Wealth does need sharing a little more and there are a few ideas I'd be happy with:

- Scrap Cup Replays
- Bring 17/18th PL teams into a 6-team play-offs scenario.

Plus if the Premier League are so concerned with protecting their assets, get rid of International Weekends where they are only friendly games. Players travelling 200 miles around the UK to join up, flying off with their country, multiple training days, playing a game, then getting back home at 2am in the morning all after playing 45 minutes in a meaningless friendly, sorry, but that's a better place to start.

I hope this falls firmly flat on its feet.

33 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Two big questions that need answering for the EFL in my opinion 

1) is £250 million good enough for the worst case scenario? What if we can’t have fans in stadiums for the whole of this season and into next?

2) is 25% enough of the tv deal long term? Is that negotiable? How does that deal work? What’s going to happen with PPV?

This deal is a start but should by no means be an end. For now I’d concentrate on making sure there’s money on the table for those clubs that are facing the brink without signing the league away.

My other question would be,

What is to stop the big six clubs deciding amongst themselves that they will reduce the 25% revenue share to a lower figure in future?

The answer looking at the proposal in it's current format is absolutely nothing.

I think there are a lot of good things in this proposal, the most notable of which for our club is the abolition of parachute payments in favour of a more evenly distributed share of the PL monies across the EFL.

I think there is one intolerable thing, being the handing over of power to make decisions to 9 (more likely) 6 PL clubs.

However, it is a blueprint that is a starting point for negotiations. I think that to reject the whole proposal out of hand is as silly as endorsing it fully. Start of a journey that desperately needs to be taken, in my opinion.

The majority of the ideas on paper are good natured. Unfortunately behind the scenes, this is a long term ploy to ensure the top 6 teams create a monopoly that will destroy the heart and soul of English football. 

It doesnt feel genuine to me. We're not a 2 team league like the majority of Europe. How many countries have 20000+ average crowds in the second division? Maybe Germany. I'm not surprised the American owners of the big clubs are behind this. If they had it their way, it would be the english MLS where only a select few teams can play and there's no chance of promotion/relegation. Keeping the money to themselves in a nice big pot.

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

This is just ridiculous 

The Top 6 teams running football along with WH ,Saints and I forget who else to make 9 .

Crazy crazy scary stuff

West Ham have already been critical of the plan, despite being one of the proposed three clubs randomly added to the big six. They're astute enough to work out that if you're not one of the big six this plan is pretty poor if you're a Premier League club. It means sharing more TV revenue out (which they won't like), giving the big clubs a virtual veto on how the Premier League and football generally is run (another terrible idea), and it means losing parachute payments (which they'll hate, even if everyone else thinks it's one of the good points of the plan). I don't know how the people behind this plan think they're going to get the necessary number Premier League clubs to support it.

3 hours ago, WamRam said:

Not sure if anyone has just heard Mel Morris on 5 Live just now. He came on around 7:20 if anyone wants to find it to listen back.

Sounds like he's very much in favour of this whole idea, but I can only assume it's more to do with getting cash into the club to make it a better prospect for potential investors or even a sale.

I did listen.  

I don’t  think he was 100 percent behind it but he did give it some support 

MM said when asked what’s in it for DCFC

He said something has to change 

Asked how would Derby benefit 

He said Derby would benefit by a big difference in the financial model. 

He then went on about Prem relying on 20 percent of gate receipt money for revenue 

Derby 50 percent 

He was asked if EFL was being paid off 

He said I don’t know about that 

He did say when quoted about George Orwell regarding top clubs having all the say 

He said that wasn’t right. 

He was asked about 375 million being turned down of US investment to the EFL on last Friday and asked if consulted he said No 

He said that might be great short term but could cause a huge financial hole in the future 

Best to listen on BBC sounds to be honest  as it’s a good interview 

There is an emergency meeting of Prem tomorrow 

The EFL are being sold down the river by it's own chairman. The sooner they sack him the better.

His plan will sound good to many lower league chairman who's clubs are in financial difficulties due to the pandemic. How long will it be before the hand full of clubs, that Parry wants to give all the power to, start changing the rules and the money that is supposed to go to the lower leagues stays at the clubs with all the power.

Before the shutdown of football this year, many clubs were finding it hard to financially to keep their heads above water. All Perry's plan will do is delay seeing the closure of many clubs.

Archived