Premier League want to reduce from 20 to 18 teams

Curtains

It's the first step by the American owners of Liverpool and Manchester United towards an American-like system of no relegation, no promotion, a closed system.

Notice also that the big 6 plus 3 other clubs would get "special status", initially voting rights but who knows where it will lead.

I am appalled.

Not because our club is excluded but because football fans of all clubs - including those of the "big" clubs - are being excluded.

These American owners - and Rick Parry - really can ? off.

Give the people's game back to the people.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Olton Ram said:

The Premier League have put out a statement in response to the plan leaking out in today's press. In one section they don't sound very pleased with our friend Rick Parry:

"In the Premier League’s view, a number of the individual proposals in the plan published today could have a damaging impact on the whole game and we are disappointed to see that Rick Parry, chair of the EFL, has given his on-the-record support."

No doubt his old mates at Liverpool were pleased with him giving their plan his support, even if the Premier League weren't. I don't know how widely he's canvassed the opinions of EFL chairmen and owners either, given that the plan has only been made public in the last day or two. 

Rick Parry should resign. He clearly has no interest in looking after EFL clubs. 

9 minutes ago, Van Rammeister said:

This.

And, with the money that’s been swishing around the Premier League- available to all clubs, it really has become more about the coaching/management as many clubs there can afford to spend shed loads of money on individual players.

Regarding a potential European Super League...

I actually think should this eventually happen, that it would firstly lead to a more vibrant English league structure where more teams can win the league and fans actually wouldn’t give a toss about the lack of playing these monied giants any more.

Then, at some point in the future, the greedy so called ‘big clubs’ playing in the European Super League would realise no ones interested in the incestuous big city clubs incessantly playing each other over and over again, with their invented rivalries leading to them coming back cap in hand pleading for things to go back to how things were previously.

I agree with most of what you say and would welcome the idea of a 'Eurooean super league' as I see it increasing competition amongst the remaining clubs.

Where I do somewhat disagree is you saying no one's interested in watching these 'top' clubs playing each other on a regular basis. The level of interest in the UK would probably be relatively muted but those clubs won't be bothered in the slightest since the real money is in selling the rights abroad, particularly Asia, to the point of taking the actual games abroad. I wonder how your average Stretford Ender or Kopite will take to that - going to see their favourites play at Old Trafford or Anfield only to find they're actually playing in Beijing or Kuala Lumpur. They would probably muster 18-20 clubs from across Europe without too much difficulty and play a full season, similar to the current PL programme.

Well as far as I'm concerned they can stick their elite football up their jaxy because I shan't bother watching it.

I wonder if Parry would be as supportive of a change of rules that meant that, as the longest serving Championship clubs, us, Forest, Birmingham, Wednesday and Reading all got special powers in the running of this league.

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Didn't Kerry Packer do this about 50 years ago. Not a new concept. 

Kerry Packer recruited individual players and paid them small fortunes compared with what they had been earning.  Also at the time there were only 7 or 8 cricket-playing countries so whilst revolutionary in its' day, it was still on a small scale compared to football.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/oct/11/plan-to-mend-the-great-crack-in-football-pyramid-should-not-be-swept-off-the-table

Good article by the ever reliable David Conn. 

The voting power-grab is suspicious but the majority of the proposals are bold and will help address the financial gap between the Prem and Championship that causes the overspending. 

Talk of a break away is unsubstantiated. The break away happened in 1992. This helps repair the chasm caused by this and moves a lot more money down the pyramid.  

2 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2020/oct/11/plan-to-mend-the-great-crack-in-football-pyramid-should-not-be-swept-off-the-table

Good article by the ever reliable David Conn. 

The voting power-grab is suspicious but the majority of the proposals are bold and will help address the financial gap between the Prem and Championship that causes the overspending. 

Talk of a break away is unsubstantiated. The break away happened in 1992. This helps repair the chasm caused by this and moves a lot more money down the pyramid.  

They're offering bribes to hold all the power. 

13 minutes ago, Andicis said:

They're offering bribes to hold all the power. 

Most of this thread is dominated by talk of a European Super League and closing off promotion and relegation. The top six are not concerned with relegation as it will not affect them. And if they want to join a European Super League then they don't need Premier League approval, they need the approval of FIFA. 

1 hour ago, Van Rammeister said:

This.

And, with the money that’s been swishing around the Premier League- available to all clubs, it really has become more about the coaching/management as many clubs there can afford to spend shed loads of money on individual players.

Regarding a potential European Super League...

I actually think should this eventually happen, that it would firstly lead to a more vibrant English league structure where more teams can win the league and fans actually wouldn’t give a toss about the lack of playing these monied giants any more.

Then, at some point in the future, the greedy so called ‘big clubs’ playing in the European Super League would realise no ones interested in the incestuous big city clubs incessantly playing each other over and over again, with their invented rivalries leading to them coming back cap in hand pleading for things to go back to how things were previously.

I like the idea of this super league more and more. Realistically, apart from the occasional once in a generation moment like Leicester, everyone’s just playing for 7th place at the minute.

If the big 6 were to duck off, it would be super competitive and everyone would have a chance to win the league. 

I would probably even enjoy watching a super league, as a neutral, im sure the average genuine United fan wouldn’t be best pleased though. 

I would like there to be some sort of relegation / promotion though. Like a play off between the worst placed English club and the domestic league champions. Just so there’s a bit of movement in case the English clubs in the super league get crap, and the one or two teams in the domestic league become amazing. 

5 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

?? He's persuaded the biggest clubs to pay 25% of the TV deal to the EFL and dump parachute payments ...

What's so bad about that?

You’re not wrong. For the majority of efl clubs this is probably a great deal. 

it’s only really top 10 championship clubs like us, with a realistic chance of promotion to the premier league, that this might effect negatively. 

21 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

Most of this thread is dominated by talk of a European Super League and closing off promotion and relegation. The top six are not concerned with relegation as it will not affect them. And if they want to join a European Super League then they don't need Premier League approval, they need the approval of FIFA. 

They're suggesting 9 Premier League clubs have all the say on how it's run. I'd rather they did bugger off to a European Super League.

22 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

?? He's persuaded the biggest clubs to pay 25% of the TV deal to the EFL and dump parachute payments ...

What's so bad about that?

2 clubs would get punted from the football league, less clubs would ever have the chance to reach the Prem, so they get the scraps that the Premier League reluctantly give them, until the 9 clubs with all the power decide they don't want to do that any more. 

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

It does try to answer the age-old question is to whether a team winning the playoffs is worthy of promotion. Personally, I feel that if it's '3 up' then it ought to be 1, 2 and 3, so I definitely agree with your last sentence.

To juxtapose your second sentence... A team could spend an entire season not being worthy of promotion, finish 6th and then, over 3 games, earn the big prize.

It's a fair point, I just don't see it as an attractive event. If we can agree play offs are contrived, then to me, two teams from the division below and one goes up is more interesting/exciting than the prospect of 3rd bottom might get away with it and stay up, and dash the hopes of the new team.

Yes the step up is big, but it's not like the championship is stacked full of clubs who are only ever going to be relegation fodder if they go up.

This is just part of the biggest clubs using the current financial uncertainty to claim a bigger share of power. They will look for the weakest constituents (the EFL, the FA) to buy off in order for those organisations to rubber stamp proposals (death of the league cup for example)

The same will be happening in Europe too - this is a chance for the same top clubs to be offering money to FIFA for the ‘development of the game’ in order to authenticate the ‘top club run’ version of the Champions League. 

Let’s be clear that, as David Conn points out, this will financially benefit the EFL clubs in the short term, but it limits their future gain too. 

8 hours ago, Andicis said:

They're suggesting 9 Premier League clubs have all the say on how it's run. I'd rather they did bugger off to a European Super League.

2 clubs would get punted from the football league, less clubs would ever have the chance to reach the Prem, so they get the scraps that the Premier League reluctantly give them, until the 9 clubs with all the power decide they don't want to do that any more. 

The scraps that are currently given by the Premier League include a £5m solidarity payment to each Championship club. This could have been stopped at any given point in the past since 1992 but has not. This solidarity payment could quadruple under the new proposal.

10 hours ago, Andicis said:

I don't know ... I don't think 25% is scraps - the EFL would get more out of that than they are doing right now. And with more money in the EFL and no parachute payments then I think there actually may be a better chance of promotion among a wider list of clubs.

And I don't think concentrating power in the hands of the top 6 is going to increase the likelihood of an end to promotion and relegation: it's the owners of the 14 below them who are more interested in that. It's always going to be a risk that Prem owners will want to end relegation, because of the huge money invested. This structure might actually make it less likely.

It seems to me that a structure which actually acknowledges the existence of the pyramid is less likely to get rid of the pyramid.

10 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

Yeah, but, you know, the EFL and Rick Parry hate the clubs they represent, don't they? 

From today’s Daily Telegraph.

“Parry has shared his plans with just a few close confidants, including the Stoke chairman, John Coates, and his Middlesbrough counterpart, Steve Gibson. “They are 100 per cent supportive because it is for the greater good,” Parry said. “Those two are genuinely up for it. They are excited, and passionate about it“

well.............I hate the clubs he represents!

Archived