Premier League want to reduce from 20 to 18 teams

Curtains

21 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

Well I don't know the finer details of this proposal but most of it I like the sound of. If the EPL intends to give 25% of its annual revenue to the EFL then this will do more to bridge the EFL/EPL gap than anything else I've heard. This gap is the problem.

25% of EPL revenue equates to around £1.4b per year where currently £400m in solidarity and parachute payments is given out by the EPL to the EFL, with over half of it to the 9 clubs who receive parachute payments. 

I absoultely don't agree with the proposed voting structure dominated by the top 6 or 9 clubs as this is open to abuse. However I think it is fair that the clubs that finish higher up the EPL table get a lot more money than the others as they are more responsible for generating the money in the first place. Who really wants to watch Burnley v Palace?

18 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

A sleeper agent? He's agreeing to an additional £1b in payments from the EPL to the EFL per year that will help bridge the ridiculous gap between the bottom of the EPL and top of the EFL. If this gap is reduced then spending in the EFL will drop dramatically as the financial rewards are far less. 

It will only be that much whilst they are earning that much. If the voting structure changes go through that might not be that long as they can then vote for whatever they want. Would there be assurances that they couldn't just pull the rug out from everyones feet and change their minds once they have got what they want out of it?

There would certainly need to be.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I were at a PL club that isn't one of the 'Big 6', including the other 3 that have been mentioned as getting a special vote (as they would also not be needed for any future vote to go through if 6 is the number required) I would be extremely concerned about this plan and what their ultimate intentions are, this could see them much worse off if the Big 6 decide to vote themselves out of the PL.

I hope this is the saving grace. I assume this idea would need to be voted in via the current structure, ie. by the majority of PL clubs?

The more I think about this the more it just makes me feel utterly sick.

It's absolutely disgusting that they are using the desperate plight of clubs because of Covid to try and get this plan through.

I feel really uneasy about Rick Parry having formerly been part of Liverpool, one of the main protagonists of this idea, now being part of the EFL whilst all of this is happening, it doesn't help that it seems to have come out of the blue, I'm surprised something so big hasn't been leaked before.

It says he (Parry) has the support of many of the EFL clubs to make this happen, I can't help but doubt this. How can EFL clubs, particularly Championship ones like ours, think this is a good idea? I'd really like to hear from the EFL clubs themselves about this, if most of the support comes from Leagues One and Two rather than the Championship, then I think we need to know.

If they don't really support the idea and it's just because the money is the only way a lot survive then it makes it so much worse!

This will lead to the eventual ruin of English football and it's so incredibly short sighted.

59 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

Sounds nice in theory, but I fear the genie is out of the bottle in terms of what EFL clubs, principally in the Championship, will spend to try to get into the Prem. Players and their agents will still be looking for the kind of wages they're used to as well, and with more money in the EFL there may be more money to spend on wages at those clubs willing to pay the most. Do you think that if a club like Villa got relegated again they wouldn't just do what they did before and massively move the market by paying large transfer fees, high wages and having an unsustainably large squad? I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but it doesn't sound likely based on previous experience. Plus, do you think Liverpool and Man Utd are driving this because they're concerned about the EFL? I don't.

If there is less of a financial gap between the top two divisions then incentive to spend big is reduced. Championship clubs spend so much to chase the massive rewards. 

The top six driving it is indeed very suspicious. Reduced games and no League cup would be useful to them I suppose. Ultimately the top six aren't really threatened much by any other clubs (apart from Leicester's one season)and their own revenues will not fall. Liverpool getting £150m TV money for being champions is fine. The relegated club getting £100m TV money is crazy. The lower end Premier League clubs revenue will go down and this reduce the EPL/EFL gap. This makes sense in my opinion.

1 hour ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

It will only be that much whilst they are earning that much. If the voting structure changes go through that might not be that long as they can then vote for whatever they want. Would there be assurances that they couldn't just pull the rug out from everyones feet and change their minds once they have got what they want out of it?

There would certainly need to be.

The EPLs revenue's could go up or down but so could the EFL's revenue. 

I agree that the top six should not get that amount of power. In reality, it is they that drive the revenues though so it is not suprising that they push for more power.

What a utterly disgraceful move and I am not surprised Parry is part of it apparently it has been under discussion since 2017 when guess who would have been involved. 

I remember when the PL voted to reduce the number of teams by two then quickly reversed it when they moaned they were losing two home games money. 

Football is going to die in this country if this goes through all the supporters of smaller teams proud historic names like Rochdale, Blackpool, Crewe and the like will be no more. 

Not surprisingly the main protagonists in this are American where the dollar is king and teams moved around from city to city without thought. 

Any British EFL owner who votes for this is taking a short term view and should hang their head in shame. 

6 minutes ago, Rambalin said:

What a utterly disgraceful move and I am not surprised Parry is part of it apparently it has been under discussion since 2017 when guess who would have been involved. 

I remember when the PL voted to reduce the number of teams by two then quickly reversed it when they moaned they were losing two home games money. 

Football is going to die in this country if this goes through all the supporters of smaller teams proud historic names like Rochdale, Blackpool, Crewe and the like will be no more. 

Not surprisingly the main protagonists in this are American where the dollar is king and teams moved around from city to city without thought. 

Any British EFL owner who votes for this is taking a short term view and should hang their head in shame. 

I don't think that some PL clubs realise that if they kill off teams lower down, then that lost club's support won't then go to them.

Why would it when they've just helped to kill off a historic potentially hundred or so year old club that generations of families will have supported?

Do they seriously think that they are then going to benefit from that? Those fans would be furious at them, they're not going to be supporting them, they'd give up football altogether before that ever happened.

15 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

I don't think that some PL clubs realise that if they kill off teams lower down, then that lost club's support won't then go to them.

Why would it when they've just helped to kill off a historic potentially hundred or so year old club that generations of families will have supported?

Do they seriously think that they are then going to benefit from that? Those fans would be furious at them, they're not going to be supporting them, they'd give up football altogether before that ever happened.

Phoenix clubs and local non league is where most will turn I'd imagine....."there's no viable future for Wimbledon so we're moving to Milton Keynes" Vs AFC Wimbledon springs to mind.

What about Leicester?

they’re not counted in this special too 9, because they’ve not had enough consecutive time in the premier league. But they’ve won it, and over the past few years have been considerably more successful than Tottenham or arsenal. 

There is actually a slight changing of the guard at the minute. Leicester has led the way, and Wolves have upset the Apple cart a bit. Even Sheffield United had a good stab at it last season, and Everton look like they might have a go this season. The top 6 aren’t really the top six any more. That must terrify them. 

If this goes through, they might as well piss off to a super league. No one will be able to break into the top six. And with their right to veto new owners, then they’ll stop another Chelsea or Man City scenario from happening. Despite the fact that two of them are Chelsea and Man City are two of them and have benefitted from rich owners chucking money at them. ducking hypocrites. 

why go through this farce? Why not just set up the super league now and be done with?

The Premier League have put out a statement in response to the plan leaking out in today's press. In one section they don't sound very pleased with our friend Rick Parry:

"In the Premier League’s view, a number of the individual proposals in the plan published today could have a damaging impact on the whole game and we are disappointed to see that Rick Parry, chair of the EFL, has given his on-the-record support."

No doubt his old mates at Liverpool were pleased with him giving their plan his support, even if the Premier League weren't. I don't know how widely he's canvassed the opinions of EFL chairmen and owners either, given that the plan has only been made public in the last day or two. 

11 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

The Premier League have put out a statement in response to the plan leaking out in today's press. In one section they don't sound very pleased with our friend Rick Parry:

"In the Premier League’s view, a number of the individual proposals in the plan published today could have a damaging impact on the whole game and we are disappointed to see that Rick Parry, chair of the EFL, has given his on-the-record support."

No doubt his old mates at Liverpool were pleased with him giving their plan his support, even if the Premier League weren't. I don't know how widely he's canvassed the opinions of EFL chairmen and owners either, given that the plan has only been made public in the last day or two. 

Parry forgets or refuses to accept that he's a servant of the EFL clubs. I wonder what Mel makes of the story.

Parry - and the EFL by association - continue to prove that they are completely unfit to be involved in running the game.

My one hope from this is that it finally prompts the owners of the EFL clubs (and those PL clubs not considered to be in the 'big 6') to revolt and reform the league governance for the good of all the clubs.

Duck the EFL ?, duck Parry ? and duck the 'Big 6' ?

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I particularly dislike the notion that the the third worst team get an extra chance to stay up vs the play off winner...I assume that's only in there because they didn't think they could get away with "only 2 teams relegated or promoted"

That was the only aspect I found attractive - it was the way the playoffs originally worked.

Combined wealth of Championship club owners is almost £10bn isn't it. I hope they get together, stick two fingers up to the EFL asap, void the Sky contract, pay them the £250m or so owed and introduce a streaming service. Monthly subscription £15. Every match available. Show the Premier League that clubs are in charge, not a handful and certainly not dodgy dealers. 

Then say to the PL, look what we've done. You do the same and scrap the league cup or something. 

The bigger issue is pointless internationals. 

49 minutes ago, Eddie said:

That was the only aspect I found attractive - it was the way the playoffs originally worked.

Not for me. It still works like that in Scotland.

Spent the season not being worthy of staying up, get a reprieve.

I just don't find the notion at all appealing whatsoever. I know play offs themselves are a bit contrived and really 3rd place should up.

3 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Not for me. It still works like that in Scotland.

Spent the season not being worthy of staying up, get a reprieve.

I just don't find the notion at all appealing whatsoever. I know play offs themselves are a bit contrived and really 3rd place should up.

It does try to answer the age-old question is to whether a team winning the playoffs is worthy of promotion. Personally, I feel that if it's '3 up' then it ought to be 1, 2 and 3, so I definitely agree with your last sentence.

To juxtapose your second sentence... A team could spend an entire season not being worthy of promotion, finish 6th and then, over 3 games, earn the big prize.

2 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

There is actually a slight changing of the guard at the minute. Leicester has led the way, and Wolves have upset the Apple cart a bit. Even Sheffield United had a good stab at it last season, and Everton look like they might have a go this season. The top 6 aren’t really the top six any more. That must terrify them. 

If this goes through, they might as well piss off to a super league. No one will be able to break into the top six. And with their right to veto new owners, then they’ll stop another Chelsea or Man City scenario from happening. Despite the fact that two of them are Chelsea and Man City are two of them and have benefitted from rich owners chucking money at them. ducking hypocrites. 

why go through this farce? Why not just set up the super league now and be done with?

This.

And, with the money that’s been swishing around the Premier League- available to all clubs, it really has become more about the coaching/management as many clubs there can afford to spend shed loads of money on individual players.

Regarding a potential European Super League...

I actually think should this eventually happen, that it would firstly lead to a more vibrant English league structure where more teams can win the league and fans actually wouldn’t give a toss about the lack of playing these monied giants any more.

Then, at some point in the future, the greedy so called ‘big clubs’ playing in the European Super League would realise no ones interested in the incestuous big city clubs incessantly playing each other over and over again, with their invented rivalries leading to them coming back cap in hand pleading for things to go back to how things were previously.

Archived