Jump to content

Premier League want to reduce from 20 to 18 teams


Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Exactly.... and no other premier league team is ever going to be allowed new owners without being OK’d by the “big 6” so there will never be another Jack Walker or a Thai business group that are allowed to take over teams. 

I honestly don't know how you think a modern day Jack Walker would be stopped from taking over his local club. How could this be justified by the top 6 of anyone else? Imagine the furore caused if this scenario occurred. The Premier League as it stands could theoretically ban relegation and become a closed league which would be hugely beneficial to its members. It will never happen as the country would not tolerate it. Same with the Jack Walker scenario. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

I honestly don't know how you think a modern day Jack Walker would be stopped from taking over his local club. How could this be justified by the top 6 of anyone else? Imagine the furore caused if this scenario occurred. The Premier League as it stands could theoretically ban relegation and become a closed league which would be hugely beneficial to its members. It will never happen as the country would not tolerate it. Same with the Jack Walker scenario. 

They wouldn't do something abominable because people who can't vote won't like it?

Ending relegation has been a premier League wet dream for many ayear. I remember when Bolton's owner was all about it...

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

I honestly don't know how you think a modern day Jack Walker would be stopped from taking over his local club. How could this be justified by the top 6 of anyone else? Imagine the furore caused if this scenario occurred. The Premier League as it stands could theoretically ban relegation and become a closed league which would be hugely beneficial to its members. It will never happen as the country would not tolerate it. Same with the Jack Walker scenario. 

Because that is specifically one of the “rules” they are putting in place that the “big 6” (FFS) have the right to veto any ownership takeover....!  
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

They wouldn't do something abominable because people who can't vote won't like it?

Ending relegation has been a premier League wet dream for many ayear. I remember when Bolton's owner was all about it...

No, they absolutely could close off promotion from the EFL and could have done since 1992 but have not done it despite it being enormously in their favour to do so. The football world was up in arms about closing the divisions off and it was roundly rejected. It has indeed been a dream for certain Premier League teams and Gartside will be remembered largely for that doomed plan. But it did not happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Because that is specifically one of the “rules” they are putting in place that the “big 6” (FFS) have the right to veto any ownership takeover....!  
 

With power comes responsibility. Complete the headline: "Big 6 block takeover of Aston Villa by philanthropist Bill Gates due to..."??? 

And I do not think that they should have this power and it should be negotiated out of the deal - but it does not concern me as much as the status quo of having a £90m funding gap between the bottom of the PL and the top of the EFL. 

The project is on its 18th draft - don't assume that this is a final proposal and cannot be negotiated with.

Not that it will pass anyway. The other 14 Premier League clubs could easily pass through a more equitable redistribution of wealth plan but will not do it through short-sightedness on the assumption that they will remain in the Premier League forever (when most of them will not) and reap the rewards.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.