Premier League want to reduce from 20 to 18 teams

Curtains

41 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

Nice to see some posts from people who have actually read the proposal.

The EFL clubs are in favour of it for many a good reason. The other PL clubs just want to protect their £100m a year TV money and will not vote for it. This is a shame because most of the other 14 clubs in the Premier League will get relegated at some point in the next decade. 

or the other 14 PL clubs dont want to be dictated how the competition is run , what cups they can enter, who can own them and how many loan players they can have (for example) by the other 6.....!??.. and you do know that Manchester United have been relegated in my lifetime...and so have spurs....and chelsea...and Man City...

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Emergency meeting of the PL teams has rejected the proposals - hopefully Parry will do the decent thing and resign (though somehow I doubt it....)

Why should he resign? All bar 2 of the EFL chairmen were creaming themselves over this deal. Including Mr Morris. 

Even though the big picture has been taken down, they are still giving L1 and L2 clubs money. 

Talks ongoing about the championship. I guess the EPL are concerned the Championship clubs would throw the money at players and forgein transfers. 

I am basically skeptical of anything the premier league and especially the big clubs in the premier league are not dragged kicking and screaming into doing.

Why?

It's business. There is nothing benevolent. Weather the bit of business they wanted to do would work out well, perhaps it would, that's how businesses survive and thrive, but businesses are very seldom benevolent to potential competitors. That's why I struggled to see it in the context of "this bit is good, that bit is sensible, the other bit here is problematic" so much as why is this being brought forward? To advance the interests of the big clubs in consolodating power and shutting out competitors. Big clubs hoovering up all the young players then loaning them, big clubs having B teams in the league.

I can see why the EFL clubs were in favor and the non-big six PL clubs against, that's mostly a matter of ££££ and vested interests. But the good of the game? I'm not sure.

To be honest, it's all going to go that way sooner or later, and it's probably sooner because outside of the top six, most clubs don't make money and as you drop down the divisions most are losing money - enter covid and there's plenty of leverage...

Now the big plan has been rejected, I almost expect the B teams idea to resurface as the lesser of two evils in exchange for a big wad of money being loaned to the EFL during the current crisis. There are people running some of our bigger clubs who very much see Covid as an opportunity to feather their own nests rather than a time to help out the football family.....

I wonder if ultimately the Epl fancies taking over the Efl. 

It would B teams and loan agreements and "feeder clubs" easier to push through. 

They could also set rules regarding how the money they throw at the 3 lower can be spent, ie wage caps. 

11 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

or the other 14 PL clubs dont want to be dictated how the competition is run , what cups they can enter, who can own them and how many loan players they can have (for example) by the other 6.....!??.. and you do know that Manchester United have been relegated in my lifetime...and so have spurs....and chelsea...and Man City...

or the other 14 PL clubs are happy to dictate and keep the financial gap between the PL and EFL. 

Ghost of Clough's post outlines the actual changes that the 9 clubs could make. 

3 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

or the other 14 PL clubs are happy to dictate and keep the financial gap between the PL and EFL. 

Ghost of Clough's post outlines the actual changes that the 9 clubs could make. 

So there will never ever be another chance for what Leicester and Blackburn did to ever ever happen again.....seems totally reasonable to me.......!!!!!

8 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

I wonder if ultimately the Epl fancies taking over the Efl. 

It would B teams and loan agreements and "feeder clubs" easier to push through. 

They could also set rules regarding how the money they throw at the 3 lower can be spent, ie wage caps. 

The proposal was pushing for unity within the leagues, the big one being the PL selling the TV deals for the 4 divisions. But, rules such as wage caps can only be voted on by the specific division in question. Much like how the EFL operates now, where Championship clubs have no say on the wage cap being introduced in L1 and L2

If nothing else the proposals have shaken things up. The FA are now talking about a Premier League 2 (amongst other things):

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/15/fa-chairman-greg-clarke-involved-in-talks-proposing-premier-league-2-and-b-teams-project-big-picture

And the Premier League are still messing about trying to give as little as possible to EFL clubs:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/oct/15/efl-clubs-to-reject-50m-premier-league-offer-and-demand-control-over-money-championship

9 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

So there will never ever be another chance for what Leicester and Blackburn did to ever ever happen again.....seems totally reasonable to me.......!!!!!

Bit of a leap there. Leicester won the league with a quarter of Man Utd's turnover. Blackburn were majorly bankrolled and were probably the wealthiest club at the time. One shock every twenty years is hardly a sign of competitiveness. 

22 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

Bit of a leap there. Leicester won the league with a quarter of Man Utd's turnover. Blackburn were majorly bankrolled and were probably the wealthiest club at the time. One shock every twenty years is hardly a sign of competitiveness. 

Derby County were set transfer records when we were winning league titles as well, but everything the "big 6" do these days is designed to protect their little bubble and stop anyone else spending their way to glory. FFP rules protect them and these rules would certainly protect them. Virtually nobody would benefit from reducing the number of teams in the league or any changes to FFP other than the teams who play in Europe. The Premier League is not competitive - however Project Big Picture will not increase competitiveness in their league - it will save a few EFL clubs and make the Championship more interesting to watch, but it will just make the competition even worse in the top league. 

7 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Derby County were set transfer records when we were winning league titles as well, but everything the "big 6" do these days is designed to protect their little bubble and stop anyone else spending their way to glory. FFP rules protect them and these rules would certainly protect them. Virtually nobody would benefit from reducing the number of teams in the league or any changes to FFP other than the teams who play in Europe. The Premier League is not competitive - however Project Big Picture will not increase competitiveness in their league - it will save a few EFL clubs and make the Championship more interesting to watch, but it will just make the competition even worse in the top league. 

I certainly agree that Project Big Picture would not make the league more competitive, but I don't think it will make it much less competitive. FFP rules aren't a big 6 thing as they are the ones that have run foul of them in the PL. 

I understand the concern with the power of the top 6/9 and it sits uncomfortably with me and I feel that this could be negotiated out of the deal. However, the positives of a better redistribution of money is an enormous prize and worth making some sacrifices for.  It seems that most EFL clubs agree and that the clubs that don't are the ones currently benefitting from being average Premier League teams that are happy to just avoid relegation. 

Ultimately I think that closing the EPL/EFL gap is the biggest and most important financial and sporting challenge in football and this is the only proposal I have heard that tries to address it. Doing nothing means more parachute payments, unsustainable debts in the Championship,and bang average players getting £20k a week. It's imperative to close the £90m revenue gap between 20th best club in the land and 21st. Getting promoted should be about sporting glory and not all about money. 

12 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

Doing nothing means more parachute payments, unsustainable debts in the Championship,and bang average players getting £20k a week.

The championship clubs can do that themselves. Stop paying the high wages, less debt, live within their means. 

8 hours ago, CWC1983 said:

The championship clubs can do that themselves. Stop paying the high wages, less debt, live within their means. 

The prize of £90m more TV money per year drives wages up. If that gap were £10m per year then it would not be worth splashing out huge money on wages. When attempts have been made to force clubs to live within their means (FFP), clubs have resorted to dodgy financial practices to get around it - like flogging your own stadium to yourself!

13 hours ago, The Key Club King said:

Exactly.... and no other premier league team is ever going to be allowed new owners without being OK’d by the “big 6” so there will never be another Jack Walker or a Thai business group that are allowed to take over teams. 

Archived