Premier League want to reduce from 20 to 18 teams

Curtains

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Curtains said:

If the future of football in this country is held to ransom like that, I think that's me done with football'

The final nail in a game I used to be so passionate about.

How can 6 clubs effectively decide what happens in this fashion.

I can't believe the cheek of the Premier League teams. You're telling me they can't field enough players for all the competitions they play in? Why bother spending all the money on academies if they won't use them. They've got more than enough resources to play in multiple competitions. When Eric Dier moaned about playing too many matches, I wanted to send him my missus rota and tell him how many hours she works at the hospital every week, when he works for 20 hours a week in training and in matches. If you don't want to play, rest your little legs on the bench whilst you collect 100k a week. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Duck the lot of them. I'm sick of their BS. Football is trying to pull me away from the love I have for it.

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

So what needs to happen to stop this? I'd assume most EFL clubs and PL. clubs outside of the chosen ones will tell them to shove this straight back up their ring pieces. 

Will they though? I'm sure a large number of EFL clubs are on their rear ends financially and may take the view that what happens in the PL won't affect them in the foreseeable future and they will be desperate to secure a future for themselves.

If this report is true, those clubs and owners behind it are absolute vultures - making their move when the prey are at their most vulnerable. They know no shame.

You can see what's going to happen, can't you...

They'll draw people in with this plan, 25% of future PL revenue, that's generous...

Then the 'Big 6' will vote to leave the PL and join this European Super League that keeps getting mentioned, and the 'PL' revenue then drops like a stone without them.

...not looking so generous then is it?

23 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

They'll draw people in with this plan, 25% of future PL revenue, that's generous...

Then the 'Big 6' will vote to leave the PL and join this European Super League that keeps getting mentioned, and the 'PL' revenue then drops like a stone without them.

Thought that myself . A precursor to a european super league to 'cover missing revenue' now we've handed cash over and have less supporters in grounds.

English football needs radical overhaul. I imagine the justification is because of a busy calendar for the top teams and more money can be made in Europe. 

The bigger picture is the Premier League offering a monthly subscription of £15-20 around the world to watch any and all Premier League matches. 

At £20 per month, with 10 million subscribers, that's revenue of £2.4bn annually, from households alone. Such a service would attract several times more than that, globally. 

The people in charge are absolute morons. 

These top 6 sides could easily make in excess of £300m a season from the streaming revenue from the Premier League after a couple of years. What are they thinking. 

Instead, we get the Premier League negotiating a shocking deal of £15 per game with BT and Sky. 

Utter utter morons. 

Either way, kicking two big clubs out of the Premier League will only help the cause of EFL reform or the Championship being ditched for a new model with it's own streaming service. 

32 minutes ago, RandomAccessMemory said:

My 'generous' comment was meant to be sarcasm

They've been trying to reduce the size of the Premier League for years; it's large compared to the top leagues in other countries. And getting rid of parachute payments would be a welcome change. But everything else stinks. It's just the big clubs looking after themselves, as usual. No surprise either that Rick Parry, formerly of Liverpool and the Premier League, supports it. Is he a sleeper agent, sent to screw over the EFL?!? Ludicrous.

Well I don't know the finer details of this proposal but most of it I like the sound of. If the EPL intends to give 25% of its annual revenue to the EFL then this will do more to bridge the EFL/EPL gap than anything else I've heard. This gap is the problem.

25% of EPL revenue equates to around £1.4b per year where currently £400m in solidarity and parachute payments is given out by the EPL to the EFL, with over half of it to the 9 clubs who receive parachute payments. 

I absoultely don't agree with the proposed voting structure dominated by the top 6 or 9 clubs as this is open to abuse. However I think it is fair that the clubs that finish higher up the EPL table get a lot more money than the others as they are more responsible for generating the money in the first place. Who really wants to watch Burnley v Palace?

10 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

They've been trying to reduce the size of the Premier League for years; it's large compared to the top leagues in other countries. And getting rid of parachute payments would be a welcome change. But everything else stinks. It's just the big clubs looking after themselves, as usual. No surprise either that Rick Parry, formerly of Liverpool and the Premier League, supports it. Is he a sleeper agent, sent to screw over the EFL?!? Ludicrous.

A sleeper agent? He's agreeing to an additional £1b in payments from the EPL to the EFL per year that will help bridge the ridiculous gap between the bottom of the EPL and top of the EFL. If this gap is reduced then spending in the EFL will drop dramatically as the financial rewards are far less. 

4 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

My 'generous' comment was meant to be sarcasm

Apologies if it looked as though it was aimed at your post, it wasn't intended. I couldn't think of a more apt word to use than generous and I realised your use was sarcasm due to the content of the rest of your post.

I was on about the people out there who do genuinely think the PL are being generous with that offer, including some who will have forgotten where their own clubs have recently come from. You only have to look at Dyche's comments from a few weeks back to see how quickly that can happen.

3 minutes ago, The Key Club King said:

A sleeper agent? He's agreeing to an additional £1b in payments from the EPL to the EFL per year that will help bridge the ridiculous gap between the bottom of the EPL and top of the EFL. If this gap is reduced then spending in the EFL will drop dramatically as the financial rewards are far less. 

Sounds nice in theory, but I fear the genie is out of the bottle in terms of what EFL clubs, principally in the Championship, will spend to try to get into the Prem. Players and their agents will still be looking for the kind of wages they're used to as well, and with more money in the EFL there may be more money to spend on wages at those clubs willing to pay the most. Do you think that if a club like Villa got relegated again they wouldn't just do what they did before and massively move the market by paying large transfer fees, high wages and having an unsustainably large squad? I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but it doesn't sound likely based on previous experience. Plus, do you think Liverpool and Man Utd are driving this because they're concerned about the EFL? I don't.

Archived