Pride: The Inside Story of Derby County

HuddersRam

Just logged on to here after a long old day, and this has cheered me right up. Thank you @G_Kinkladze, @wixman1884, @Asheville Ram, you've made my day with these.

A couple of notable things - I was worried in the writing that I was painting Nigel accidentally as a villain, so I'm glad it's not come across in that way. Personally I wasn't his biggest fan in truth, but I wanted to make sure it was written as much down the middle as it possibly could be. 

@G_Kinkladze - Brys was fantastic. When I first told him how much of his time I'd like to steal (six hours in the end) he was a bit taken aback, but I think he was pretty glad to get a lot off his chest by the end. That entire side built by Clough and improved by McClaren couldn't have been any more forthcoming and helpful - great squad of people. 

Moneywise - well, I've now found out that authors barely make a jot ? Jeff Bezos though, raking it in! I've at least got some learnings for the next one, which I'll hopefully be able to announce soon!

10 hours ago, HuddersRam said:

Just logged on to here after a long old day, and this has cheered me right up. Thank you @G_Kinkladze, @wixman1884, @Asheville Ram, you've made my day with these.

A couple of notable things - I was worried in the writing that I was painting Nigel accidentally as a villain, so I'm glad it's not come across in that way. Personally I wasn't his biggest fan in truth, but I wanted to make sure it was written as much down the middle as it possibly could be. 

@G_Kinkladze - Brys was fantastic. When I first told him how much of his time I'd like to steal (six hours in the end) he was a bit taken aback, but I think he was pretty glad to get a lot off his chest by the end. That entire side built by Clough and improved by McClaren couldn't have been any more forthcoming and helpful - great squad of people. 

Moneywise - well, I've now found out that authors barely make a jot ? Jeff Bezos though, raking it in! I've at least got some learnings for the next one, which I'll hopefully be able to announce soon!

I really enjoyed it, there was enough detail without getting bogged down as some books do, and thank you for getting the autographs on it. would you consider doing an audio version of the book?

12 hours ago, HuddersRam said:

Could you get an advance from the publisher for the next one?

16 hours ago, HuddersRam said:

Before I started to read the NC chapter, my perception was he was a knob. When I finished, it had not changed.

Just my opinion.

12 hours ago, Indy said:

@HuddersRam Thinking of getting this for my birthday soon. Where’s the best place to get it in terms of revenue for yourself? Or does it not make much difference?

To be honest, I don't think it makes much difference really. Think it's still in stock at the club megastore and on the website though, so would probably direct towards there rather than anywhere external. Hope you enjoy!

12 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Could you get an advance from the publisher for the next one?

I can try - I reckon for the next one I'll probably look to do some of the hard graft in marketing myself though and get some in bulk from the publisher, rather than sending people to Amazon etc. I made the poor decision to go into it all without any knowledge on the publishing side, so I'm playing catch up on it all now.

On 01/06/2021 at 13:32, HuddersRam said:

Honestly, I wasn't much of a fan of Nigel either, and a lot of your descriptions in the book confirmed my suspicions. It was the players testimonials of him though, how highly they rated him and how they spoke of the tight knit group he built that have me a new found respect for him.

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon chaps and chapettes. Apologies for raking up old ground like a mildly more forum-busting, acceptable version of the EFL, but for the next project I've got a chat with Igor Stimac this evening. Not sure how I've managed to convince him, but I'm not complaining.

If anyone has got any questions they want me to put forward to him (apart from does he have his boots and does he fancy buying a football club) just let me know either below or over DM!

18 minutes ago, HuddersRam said:

Afternoon chaps and chapettes. Apologies for raking up old ground like a mildly more forum-busting, acceptable version of the EFL, but for the next project I've got a chat with Igor Stimac this evening. Not sure how I've managed to convince him, but I'm not complaining.

If anyone has got any questions they want me to put forward to him (apart from does he have his boots and does he fancy buying a football club) just let me know either below or over DM!

Did he know anything of Derby before signing - 2nd Division club in the East Midlands? Might he have gone elsewhere if we hadn't signed him before his success with Croatia?  Did he have other offers?

Did he think after the Tranmere thrashing on his debut that we might go on to have the season we had?

What were his views of the bald eagle? Who managed who?

What's he doing now?

Which matches did he enjoy the most?

1 hour ago, HuddersRam said:

Was he genuinely injury prone or did he just not fancy it for many of the games ? 84 games in four years with a very chequered consistency.

1 hour ago, HuddersRam said:

Remember him saying around 1998 that we were 2/3 players from seriously challenging for silverware. What positions did he believe we needed to strengthen & did he genuinely feel we could have been a top 4 regular by 2000?

What in his opinion were the key reasons for the decline from 1999 to our eventual relegation 3 years later?

Loved your book Ryan , a great adventure for you as a fan , resulting in a brilliant read for all Derby fans , would ask Igor , did he have any needle with our Italian contingent ? I remember the odd comment by him and Asa in interviews , may just have been banter , and is he a Hadjuk Split fan , having started and finished his playing career with them , think he managed them , or did he support someone else growing up ?