Pride: The Inside Story of Derby County

HuddersRam

On 12/05/2021 at 10:35, Angry Ram said:

Just reading this, brilliant stuff. Just got past the Wesley sacking (I never realised Karen Brady was employed by us)! Also didn't realise just how positive the Billy Davies dressing room was. Makes you wonder what might have happened?

There are so many similarities in past mistakes to the situation we find ourselves in now though. 

Think the Bill Davies revelations were my favourite part...the revelations of how he built that band of brothers style squad.

My opinion of him definitely went up after reading it, whilst wondering if he went on to suffer with illness. That paranoia didn't sound healthy.

On 13/05/2021 at 22:04, ariotofmyown said:

Think the Bill Davies revelations were my favourite part...the revelations of how he built that band of brothers style squad.

My opinion of him definitely went up after reading it, whilst wondering if he went on to suffer with illness. That paranoia didn't sound healthy.

To be fair, I think Billy's situation has only got worse since us. As loved as he seemed to be by the squad, he was polarising in equal measure with them as well - some of which didn't make it into the final book.

Been trying to get an interview with him for three years - we persevere.

Just now, HuddersRam said:

To be fair, I think Billy's situation has only got worse since us. As loved as he seemed to be by the squad, he was polarising in equal measure with them as well - some of which didn't make it into the final book.

Yes, it seems it's not just footballers who have mental health issues.

6 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

@HuddersRam Something is doing my head in and I may well be wrong but in the book you mention that Will Hughes made his debut at home against Peterborough. Was that not away at Peterborough? Pretty sure I was there that day..

5th Nov 2011 away to Peterborough. 90th minute substitute. (Wiki) 

8 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

@HuddersRam Something is doing my head in and I may well be wrong but in the book you mention that Will Hughes made his debut at home against Peterborough. Was that not away at Peterborough? Pretty sure I was there that day..

You're bang on. Could try and save face by saying it should have read 'home debut', but I'd just be digging a bigger hole. Schoolboy error from me...

1 hour ago, HuddersRam said:

You're bang on. Could try and save face by saying it should have read 'home debut', but I'd just be digging a bigger hole. Schoolboy error from me...

Peterborough at home was his first start so that’s probably what you were thinking.

3 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Peterborough at home was his first start so that’s probably what you were thinking.

I think a part of me had just tried to pretend that Peterborough away game didn't happen. Didn't we throw away a 2-0 lead to lose 3-2?

Edited by HuddersRam
typo

On 18/05/2021 at 10:43, HuddersRam said:

I was told by a good source (itk) that Billy has now settled all his legal stuff and will soon be doing a Q&A somewhere local.

25 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Uh oh. Another book about behind the scenes at Derby County?

In all seriousness, good luck with the book.

aah no, its about my life, Derby and the Rams are mentioned as they are a big part of my life but I have had some interesting things happen. Blown up in Aden as a Child, growing up in Germany, Belfast as a soldier, Police and going around the world helping countries stop corruption.

on the Rams, my Dad had the security contract when the BBG was knocked down and I was able to go everywhere   

1 hour ago, Woodley Ram said:

aah no, its about my life, Derby and the Rams are mentioned as they are a big part of my life but I have had some interesting things happen. Blown up in Aden as a Child, growing up in Germany, Belfast as a soldier, Police and going around the world helping countries stop corruption.

on the Rams, my Dad had the security contract when the BBG was knocked down and I was able to go everywhere   

Sounds a very interesting life. I'm the opposite - I am like the character in Catch-22 who tries to make his life as boring as possible so that it appears to last longer.

Anyhow, I hope your book sells very well. Good luck.

Ryan, just finished the book, and wanted to say how much I enjoyed it.

I was born in the early 90's so the book literally covered my Derby County education from as far back as I can remember it as a child. 

Fantastic interviews, really well written and I've ordered copies for my Dad and Father-in-Law.

Can't help but feel that fate is somewhat against the club when you read the back half of the book (from Mac 1 onwards), so close on so many occasions despite the Managerial turmoil and changes of style... how did nobody get us over the line?

Also, reinforced my man-crush on Brys, the kind of bloke you'd love to sit and have a pint or three with, rare to see such devotion to a club the days I feel.