Derby County Vs Watford

Millenniumram

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had company at home so didn’t get the chance to listen to the game last night. Looking at the message boards, it seems we played reasonably well but were goal shy. My question is: would things have been much different last night if we had kept Marriott or secured one of our several centre forward targets? If the consensus is no then the players yet to return from injury have to make the difference , and quickly ,or we have to change the way we play( or the manager)

15 minutes ago, Arsene Titman said:

We had company at home so didn’t get the chance to listen to the game last night. Looking at the message boards, it seems we played reasonably well but were goal shy. My question is: would things have been much different last night if we had kept Marriott or secured one of our several centre forward targets? If the consensus is no then the players yet to return from injury have to make the difference , and quickly ,or we have to change the way we play( or the manager)

Company at home....nudge nudge wink wink say no more say no more ?

1 minute ago, UTFR said:

Marriotts average 4.75 goals a season since he came here.

Yeah let's include time injured and that we know he needs a run of games. Is he perfect? No, do we need a different kind of striker? Yes. Does a fit Marriott offer anything over playing Rooney up front.. hmm. 

I'm so surprised that I'm in a seemingly minority to think letting him go is a shocking decision, and shows a worrying inflexible stubborn streak in Cocu to use what's he got, as well as questionable man management. 

Ah well, we move on. Time will tell. Still hope Cocu does well, but my faith has taken a knock by this.

43 minutes ago, UTFR said:

Marriotts not the one we miss, or will miss. Martin is.

I agree having rooney up top isn't ideal and we should have brought someone in. But not bothered one bit about losing Marriott.

Those who are crying about how much we are missing Martin are probably the same ones who were piling on here criticising him about being to slow bla, bla, bla. I am not so certain that we are missing Martin at the moment (even though I am a huge fan of his), I see our issue as being on the creative side of the play and  hopefully as their fitness improves so will that side of our play.

Nobody on here knows what the financial demands were from his agent, clearly the club considered that it was excessive compared to the budget. It would have been good to have signed a replacement, and it seems like a sensible option to have kept Kazim-Richards in the background in case other signings didn't work out. 

58 minutes ago, UTFR said:

Marriotts not the one we miss, or will miss. Martin is.

I agree having rooney up top isn't ideal and we should have brought someone in. But not bothered one bit about losing Marriott.

The only thing on Martin is that there’s no reason why Rooney can’t do what Martin did 

You’d like to think Rooney would do it a lot better as well 

Just now, bcnram said:

Those who are crying about how much we are missing Martin are probably the same ones who were piling on here criticising him about being to slow bla, bla, bla. I am not so certain that we are missing Martin at the moment (even though I am a huge fan of his), I see our issue as being on the creative side of the play and  hopefully as their fitness improves so will that side of our play.

You have to bare in mind that Martin and Bogle were our two top assisters 

1 minute ago, cannable said:

You have to bare in mind that Martin and Bogle were our two top assisters 

Martin can in the main only assist if he has the ball. I don't think he would have seen too much of the ball up to now this season. We may miss him more as the absentees return.

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

The only thing on Martin is that there’s no reason why Rooney can’t do what Martin did 

Rooney has been around the block more than Martin, he looks like his stellar career has taken its toll. 

Rooney cannot play Martin's role.

21 minutes ago, cannable said:

I agree. And last night showed up our lack of creativity. How many chances did we create for Rooney? Two? 

32 minutes ago, cannable said:

There is a reason, his legs are going and he  needs nippy players around him. Looking forward to Ibe's debut and the return of Jozwiak, Sibley, Waghorn and Bielik.

9 minutes ago, A Ram for All Seasons said:

There is a reason, his legs are gone and he  needs nippy players around him. Looking forward to Ibe's debut and the return of Jozwiak, Sibley, Waghorn and Bielik.

Ftfy

2 hours ago, Arsene Titman said:

Would have made no difference whatsoever 

Haven't read the thread but managed to see last night's match on Sky go. Wifi where I was not up to me coming on here at same time!

I thought there were some bright performances,  most notably Knight and Buchanan. Passing was better but we still need someone to take the risk of playing that through ball quicker. Lawrence looking fit and could also have scored. Rooney looked much better and did a lot of chasing down, but that chance when he was through he should have been on target. Free kick less so.

I would have taken a draw against both Norwich and Watford. That would have given us 2 points. Rooney scoring his free kick against Norwich rather than Watford has given us the extra point. ?

I thought we lost our way at the end when we brought on one too many forwards to chase game. No-one seemed to know where they were playing. Maybe Cocu can risk an extra attacking player from the start next time? It might help! 

Archived