Unexpected moments with a Ram

In_The_Dark_Ram

First job was in an Insurance company. Roger Davies had scored a hatrick in the cup at Tottenham and he came into the office with his beaming smile! Sandra, got to the counter before me, asked what he wanted and then asked his name! The smile vanished. Stupid woman confirmed she knows nothing about football. Must be supporting them down the road!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to primary school with Gary Micklewhite’s daughter and had a few play dates around their house.

Mart Poom’s kid also shared the same birthday as my sister and we ended up having birthday celebrations in the same restaurant at the same time for them on a couple of occasions.

I refused Huddlestone service at a bar I worked at when he was 17. He didn’t like that.

I’m sure I’ll think of more in time. Derby is a small place really.

I would often see Marc Edworthy and Mark Stallard doing the school run years ago.

Edworthy’s kids went to school near our family home and Stallard’s kids went to the same school as my sister.

So if I was picking up my sister from school or going to the supermarket, we would often bump into each other. 

Eddy would always stop and wave or say hello. He always came across as a really friendly, down-to-earth, and approachable guy.

Oh, and Deon Burton could have been my uncle. Apparently he tried to chat up my auntie many moons ago, but she turned him down.

Lucky escape for Deon!

Seen Mel Sage a few times as drives a taxi near where i live, very quiet man....shared a flight with Darryl Powell ( the football genius ) back from spain once, we spoke at luggage retreival point , he was so good to talk toa lovely bloke and said he was a massive West Ham fan ( much to my mates who i was with  pleasure! ) and also said that Jim Smith was an amazing person and was reason he left Pompey to join us and said he'd follow TBE anywhere!!

Also recently spoke with oooooh Tommy Johnson in a working mens club near me , he was down for a charity football match for a friend, hes been doing a bit of scouting recently

8 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

I once had to cancel Ted McMinn's employment contract because he couldn't commit to compulsory Toyota overtime due to his role as summariser on Radio Derby alongside Ross Fletcher in about 2004-05

My mate once had to turn down Phil Gee for a business loan. He said it was the most excruciating thing he’s ever done...

Used to bump into The Tin Man at The Cats Whiskers video shop in Mickleover on a weekly basis. And everyone knew that if he wasn’t in there, he’d be in Mark Jarvis bookies, or The Vine. Regular as clockwork our Ted...

6 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

My mate once had to turn down Phil Gee for a business loan. He said it was the most excruciating thing he’s ever done...

Used to bump into The Tin Man at The Cats Whiskers video shop in Mickleover on a weekly basis. And everyone knew that if he wasn’t in there, he’d be in Mark Jarvis bookies, or The Vine. Regular as clockwork our Ted...

Did you see what sort of videos he was interested in? 

Saw Baiano and Stefano Eranio in Markeaton McDonalds with their family back in the day. I was 9, caked in mud after playing that morning and I kept trying to hug them but they kept fending me away. 

Reminiscent of the scene in Slumdog Millionaire trying to get an autograph: 

image.png.214ce97fb3ca573d6f94632e976fc726.png 

Many moons ago, my cousin and I used to watch Derbyshire cricket at the Racecourse. There was a gap in the fence that we could get through. I went on my own one time. I was having a knockabout with two young lads, about my age. Eventually their dad called for them to go. It was Brian Clough.

1 hour ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Roger Davies once worked for a (now extinct) concrete product manufacturer that I also worked at, in the Planning department. I think he booked in deliveries. Never had a conversation with him. He was very quiet and also really massive.

Was once talking with a former player who changed next to Roger at a charity match, and he confirmed Roger is massive everywhere! Nudge nudge, wink wink. ?

53 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Crikey, how many of them did you sleep with?

Not personally, but I could tell you a few stories some comical, some rather sordid regarding the above .  When your dealing with young blokes with a lot of money and an ego, it's amazing how many can turn into dicks in a matter of weeks.  Some still remain sound enough and quite a laugh.  

Money doesn't change people but it will enhance the general characteristics they already have in my experience.

41 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Craig Bryson helped my missus steal a table decoration from the players awards dinner at Pride Park once. It sat on our dining room table for a year before we moved house ?

My mum used to work behind the bar at the central suite when they had them there in the 90's .  Used to come home with all manner of crap.  I had a stuffed ram they gave to Dean Sturridge when he won an award one year.  My nephews got that now.

I stepped on Lee Carsleys foot in Berlins when he had just got back into training following a foot injury.  He looked like it hurt a fair bit.   Also had an inebriated Christian Dailly thrown at me by the bouncers when I walked past Brannigans one night  Good job I was there to break his fall.

21 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Do tell us more.

Haha. That's pretty much it. He was out with some friends, who must've been around the same age. He was drinking down Sadlergate and came to the bar I was working at. He was annoyed that I wouldn't serve him, because I knew exactly how old he was, and he did a bit of a "don't you know who I am?" rant. Which led to me letting him know exactly who he was and that's why I couldn't serve him.

He soon left and carried on drinking at other places down the road. Not that interesting really ? 

Archived