Serdar Dursun

DcFc Dyycheee

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

C'mon RoyMac5 - I think I've used this argument to support your (our) Chris Martin adoration previously - Last year our strikers were actually pretty efficient - We just didn't create enough chances

So the absolute highest priority wasn't a hold up player but some chance creators - Which is what was prioritised once we were actually allowed to sign players again

Would a hold up player be a good addition? Yes

Has Cocu made it very clear he wants to add a striker in that mould? Yes

Was it the top priority of what we needed? No

Is now the time to be focused on that area? Yes

Also... We were under an embargo.

Also... We didn't know what Martin would do.

Also.... Transfers take time.

Also.... Premier League clubs only loan out when they're sure of what they've got... So near the end of the window.

I am pretty sure any club won't work through a list of positions in a serial order but work on them in parallel.

Edited by IslandExile

I seem to remember a guy called Robert Rosario, who played for Coventry and they raved about him. I think he scored around 5 goals a season, if that. Emile Heskey is another one often called a donkey, but nobody liked playing against him because he was just so difficult to handle which allowed space for other players to shine. A striker who creates chances is often more important than one who scores. Most strikers can score if you create chances for them. I would much rather sign this guy than Charlie Austin or Billy Sharp. We already have a poacher in Marriott. We need a battering ram.

14 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Also.... Premier League clubs only loan out when they're sure if what they've got... So near the end of the window.

I am pretty sure they don't work through a list of positions in a serial order but work on them in parallel.

If we wanted to keep Chris Martin, we would have kept him. I don’t think he was ever going to be our number 1 striker this season and thus was offered a deal to reflect that.

16 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Also.... Premier League clubs only loan out when they're sure of what they've got... So near the end of the window.

I am pretty sure any club won't work through a list of positions in a serial order but work on them in parallel.

We signed a winger, he wasn't cheap. Martin had been a free agent since January and theoretically it was length of contract that was the sticking point - so we'd know we weren't budging!

Personally I think the 'deal's on the table comment' was to pacify fans. Or because they thought Martin couldn't get another deal!

Edited by RoyMac5

58 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Your literally taking what I’m saying out of context 

I’m just asking the question ... it’s fair Question is it not ? 

What is it about him that have made other clubs closer to him geographically Not take him up At the Georgia of 28  

What is it about him that makes us fancy a punt is the more fair question, your question is just one that can be levelled at tons of players that get spotted then come on leaps and bounds 

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We signed a winger, he wasn't cheap. Martin had been a free agent since January and theoretically it was length of contract that was the sticking point - so we'd know we weren't budging!

Personally I think the 'deal's on the table comment' was to pacify fans. Or because they thought Martin couldn't get another deal!

Who signed up first? Martin or Joswiak?

Anyhow, we'll never know the truth about Martin. It might not have been anything to do with money, lengths of contacts or even football. Maybe he wanted to move out of the area. Could be anything.

6 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Anyhow, we'll never know the truth about Martin. It might not have been anything to do with money, lengths of contacts or even football. Maybe he wanted to move out of the area. Could be anything.

It's not about Martin, it's about not having a replacement lined up when there was enough of a clue he wasn't signing! We're making hard work of this guy now it seems?

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

What is it about him that makes us fancy a punt is the more fair question, your question is just one that can be levelled at tons of players that get spotted then come on leaps and bounds 

And Derby spotted of players who had a huge impact

Points in question....

Igor Stimac

Ronnie willens

Gregorz Rasiak

Inigo Idiakez

Just to name a few but there are loads of Derby Success stories we have signed that got spotted and got better.

What everyone needs to understand is every signing is a risk. 

George Thorne was the greatest example of a known quantity who turned into a duff signing not because of talent or form but injury. 

Just because we don't know who these guys are doesn't immediately mean they're wonk. 

Cocu must surely have met loads of scouts from the continent during his playing days or at least knows of them via contacts he made with other players. 

Plus if he knew he was going into management he would have to create a network to help recruitment. 

We have to trust in the plan the management and owner are implementing. 

We've thrown money at some garbage players over the last few seasons who were supposed to get us promoted and here we still are. 

This is a fresh approach based around bringing the squad age down, actually using the academy to its best potential and trying to find the right players at the best price to fill the gaps in the squad. 

This goes all the way back to Billy Davies launching tons of cash at players to get us promoted then buying utter rubbish........followed by Jewel buying more rubbish. 

Cloughie was told to cull the squad then Mel stepped in and we started throwing cash around yet again to no avail. 

Not only is the focus on the first team but also a complete rethink on how we're run as a club. 

I welcome the idea of looking further afield than Scotland the lower league or expensive Premier league squad players. 

38 minutes ago, Archied said:

Not really 

he’s not exactly our usual signing is he ... which for the record I applaud ... as Iv said numerous times now I’m intrigued to know why others closer to home haven’t taken him up at 28.

when we sign joswiak it’s more obvious, young international, potential etc etc Ditto Bielik , best years ahead of him room to improve etc etc 

Ditto Byrne... proven at this level , stats at this level to Back this up.

marshall, experiences at this level and above, solid pro, international ... free and cheap 

im just intrigued to know that’s all ... guess we’ll find out in due course

3 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Not really 

he’s not exactly our usual signing is he ... which for the record I applaud ... as Iv said numerous times now I’m intrigued to know why others closer to home haven’t taken him up at 28.

when we sign joswiak it’s more obvious, young international, potential etc etc Ditto Bielik , best years ahead of him room to improve etc etc 

Ditto Byrne... proven at this level , stats at this level to Back this up.

marshall, experiences at this level and above, solid pro, international ... free and cheap 

im just intrigued to know that’s all ... guess we’ll find out in due course

I get that but really it’s never know question unless he turns out to be totally useless ,to be fair there’s never been much big interest / bids on Martin but Derby fans that watched him knew he was a fair player ,it’s just one of those opinion things ,always thought vydra was a hard working player ,others thought he wasn’t and offered nothing to the team if not scoring, all we can do is wait and see if he signs we will either say ahhh that’s what our manager saw in him for our team or blame him for getting a dud

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Yes and no - There are plenty of teams who manage it

A hold up striker is a great asset and I fully agree they make defending easier - But you can get a similar effect by hammering the ball into the corners for someone to chase - It's about getting the extra time to compose and organise at the back

And we had a hold up strikers last season - It didn't help our defence most of the time and it didn't help us score goals or create chances

You are having a laugh.  So Martin's assists not to mention goals didn't help? 

1 hour ago, AmberRamber said:

And Derby spotted of players who had a huge impact

Points in question....

Igor Stimac

Ronnie willens

Gregorz Rasiak

Inigo Idiakez

Just to name a few but there are loads of Derby Success stories we have signed that got spotted and got better.

What everyone needs to understand is every signing is a risk. 

George Thorne was the greatest example of a known quantity who turned into a duff signing not because of talent or form but injury. 

Just because we don't know who these guys are doesn't immediately mean they're wonk. 

Cocu must surely have met loads of scouts from the continent during his playing days or at least knows of them via contacts he made with other players. 

Plus if he knew he was going into management he would have to create a network to help recruitment. 

We have to trust in the plan the management and owner are implementing. 

We've thrown money at some garbage players over the last few seasons who were supposed to get us promoted and here we still are. 

This is a fresh approach based around bringing the squad age down, actually using the academy to its best potential and trying to find the right players at the best price to fill the gaps in the squad. 

This goes all the way back to Billy Davies launching tons of cash at players to get us promoted then buying utter rubbish........followed by Jewel buying more rubbish. 

Cloughie was told to cull the squad then Mel stepped in and we started throwing cash around yet again to no avail. 

Not only is the focus on the first team but also a complete rethink on how we're run as a club. 

I welcome the idea of looking further afield than Scotland the lower league or expensive Premier league squad players. 

Class post. ??

we simply have to stop looking 2 feet in front of us and start looking at a large scale map.

I do think that when this window closes Cocu will have had a good roll of the dice and will need to show an improving team but   
what that means in terms of actual league position in the first full season I am not sure. ? 
I’d love it if we turn out to be play off contenders but if we end up mid table on an upward results curve then I am thinking ready for a promotion challenge next season - this surely has to be the KPI for Cocu in a long term plan.