Serdar Dursun

DcFc Dyycheee

I think it’s fair to say that if this happens that this signing is a risk, and it’s totally reasonable to have reservations.

Personally I think if you compare this potential signing to Davis, Zohore and Austin and other players we have been linked with, Dursun seems the favourable deal.

Austin and Zohore are on the kind of wages that would appear inaccessible for a club in our position. Signing that type of player would just make me question why we didn’t give Martin what he wanted.

Davis is young and has a modest record at this level and he has just committed to Villa for the long term. You could imagine that his wages will have probably increased to inaccessible levels too and also he is not a player we can build the team around. A one year loan would make a lot more sense if he had the track record of a Tammy Abraham at Villa and Bristol City, for example.

Dursun is a complete unknown but at least he is coming off the best season of his career so his confidence should carry over. Joining a new club in a new league will also mean he will be especially hungry to prove himself and impress compared to the others.

He could also be somewhat of an ace up the sleeve given that very few clubs at our level will be aware of him and his qualities. Whereas Austin and Zohore, for example, are well known to clubs at this level and defences would be more clued up and confident at knowing how to stop them.

Also given Dursun’s contract situation and the modest finances of the deal, you would imagine he is a cheaper option than the aforementioned three, coming from a Bundesliga 2 club rather than the PL.

So yes, it is a definite risk, but it is one that could offer a lot of upside given our financial situation and our needs.

Edited by Jourdan

32 minutes ago, bucktwo said:

Esterban fuertes was a cracking player 

As was branko strupar... both really unlucky purchases...

Now Fabritzio Ravennelli and Mikkel Beck (both already playing in the prem when we bought them ) were proper gash.

50 % correct

Fuertes wasnt cracking

Strupar was

Ravennelli was great

Beck was not great

31 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Now I know I'm probably in a minority of 1 here, but I never can understand why so many people disliked Ravanelli.

He reached double figures in a relegated prem side, some clubs nowadays spend big bucks on a player like that.

The real downside of course was that had he put away all those missed penalties, or even 1, we probably would have stopped up and Francois Grenet would have gone onto establishing himself as the best right back in all of England.

But we did spend big bucks in Raveneli,

24 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think it’s fair to say that if this happens that this signing is a risk, and it’s totally reasonable to have reservations.

Personally I think if you compare this potential signing to Davis, Zohore and Austin and other players we have been linked with, Dursun seems the favourable deal.

Austin and Zohore are on the kind of wages that would appear inaccessible for a club in our position. Signing that type of player would just make me question why we didn’t give Martin what he wanted.

Davis is young and has a modest record at this level and he has just committed to Villa for the long term. You could imagine that his wages will have probably increased to inaccessible levels too and also he is not a player we can build the team around. A one year loan would make a lot more sense if he had the track record of a Tammy Abraham at Villa and Bristol City, for example.

Dursun is a complete unknown but at least he is coming off the best season of his career so his confidence should carry over. Joining a new club in a new league will also mean he will be especially hungry to prove himself and impress compared to the others.

He could also be somewhat of an ace up the sleeve given that very few clubs at our level will be aware of him and his qualities. Whereas Austin and Zohore, for example, are well known to clubs at this level and defences would be more clued up and confident at knowing how to stop them.

Also given Dursun’s contract situation and the modest finances of the deal, you would imagine he is a cheaper option than the aforementioned three, coming from a Bundesliga 2 club rather than the PL.

So yes, it is a definite risk, but it is one that could offer a lot of upside given our financial situation and our needs.

Good analysis ,if he turns out to be sh%te , very little lost .Should give the scouting a pat on the back for not just looking at the obvious.

2 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Awww. Had you set your heart on Harry Kane or Danny Ings?

Hmmm, I suppose his goal tally last season, along with his videos of tricks and flicks make him an exciting prospect. 

However people jumped all over other linked strikers due to their stats.  All I'm suggesting with my lack of overexcitement is that this player, is probably a fairly average striker who had 1 really good season. 

A bit From Bild

The English second division Derby County wants Darmstadt striker Serdar Dursun (28).

Darmstadt's sporting director Carsten Wehlmann (48) to BILD: “Yes, there is an offer for Serdar Dursun. I won't say more about it. "

The answer to Derby County is also quite short, because the English only want to pay 750,000 euros. Darmstadt imagines at least twice as much.

Dursun is Darmstadt's top scorer in the last two years. And even if he hasn't scored yet this season, he plays well and puts his teammates in the limelight with strong passes. The opposing goalkeepers kept his chances with strong saves.
Dursun dreams of the Bundesliga, a top club from Turkey and the chance to play for Turkey at the European Championship next year. But Derby County doesn't really fit there. After three game days and three defeats, Derby County is 22nd in the 2nd division with 1: 8 goals. But: Dursun could earn a lot more there.

2 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Not aimed directly at yourself but in general. What would people need the club to do to be 'whelmed'? 

Spend 10mill on a striker from the domestic leagues? Can't think of a single one I'd be overly excited about us signing from our league or otherwise. 

Loan a young striker from a prem team? Not too many about, we've been linked to some, again unproven and we don't gain anything from it after the season ends.

Spend big on a European striker? Massive risk to do, could backfire like Forest. 

A 6ft3' striker at the prime of his career who is scoring a good amount of goals and available under 2 mill? I'm not sure more the club could do, this seems exactly the kind of signing we should make. 

I'm not sure 28 going on 29 constitutes the prime of your career.

I think I'm many ways you're right though.  With an average budget we probably can't expect much better than a striker like this.

Sometimes its better not to have the highest expectations as it only leads to disappointment. 

Leftfield punt but I’d be happier taking a chance on this guy than most the others we’ve been linked with. He’s 28, yes, but that’s not to say there’s not a solid 3+ years out of him if he cuts the mustard. If he’s not just a speed merchant and more intelligent he should be able to play higher level for longer.

Seems to tick more boxes than the rest; would be our play so can build around more, cheaper and seems to have the link up, pace, physicality and some level of finishing. We’d either be funding an overpaid squad player or taking the concession of a rough youth from elsewhere. I’m heartened that we at least have less conventional feelers out these days.

and just clear it up, Ravenelli was average at best; being mere feet away as he missed sitters at lowly Walsall as we failed to beat them will long live in my memory, a shadow of his former self and he bled us financially dry. Fuertes was decent, just here illegally, strupar one of the best finishers I’ve seen, just so injury prone. And beck... less said the better.

47 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Charlie Austin - 'He's past it'

Keinan Davis - 'Doesn't score enough'

Bobby Duncan - 'Fiorentina reject'

Serdar Dursun - 'Nobody else wants him'

Jordon Ibe - 'Not the player he was'

Brentford recruit any of the above - 'WTF! Why aren't we signing these types of player?!?!?'

?‍♀️

I actually disagree with this.

Brentford do have an excellent track record, but they usually sign a very particular profile of player and have a very meticulous and low risk approach.

If they had signed Austin, Davis or Ibe, people would be thinking it’s a departure from the norm, they are breaking their wage structure, and taking big risks that could blow up in their face.

With Dursun and Duncan, you have a point.

But you can’t blame our fans for being sceptical over signings. The recruitment team have failed us to the point of ridicule and beyond.

As a teacher, if the majority of my students were failing their exams or not progressing, I would have to prove myself and earn back people’s trust.

Surely it’s no different for the recruitment team?

If the likes of Jozwiak and Dursun come in and do the business, people will feel more confident in the work they are doing.

Edited by Jourdan