Required Additions

DazaDunn

3 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

It's funny how a few weeks ago everyone was saying we're fixing the holes in the squad and now all of a sudden we need a new back 4, a midfielder and a striker. 

Clarke and Byrne are fine, we always needed a striker, last few weeks big question marks have appeared over our left back spot and if Wisdom or Te werik are good enough to partner Clarke in a solid partnership. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Central midfield is the issue, back four end up with no cover so often it's laughable. The reason Te Wierik, Clarke and Wisdom have had shockers is because Rooney has no legs and Bird can't screen a back four. Look at the second goal on sat, neither of the midfield pair got out to close Johnson. We give the ball away for fun as well. I'd have Shinnie sat in on Saturday and just tell him to protect the back four.

24 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Clarke and Byrne are fine, we always needed a striker, last few weeks big question marks have appeared over our left back spot and if Wisdom or Te werik are good enough to partner Clarke in a solid partnership. 

I just think it was daft to get rid of our two best left backs (in my opinion anyway) and not replace them. Forsyth isn't good enough anymore. Buchanan still has a lot to prove but so far I like what I've seen from him and hopefully he gets a run in the side.

Just now, Rammy03 said:

I just think it was daft to get rid of our two best left backs (in my opinion anyway) and not replace them. Forsyth isn't good enough anymore. Buchanan still has a lot to prove but so far I like what I've seen from him and hopefully he gets a run in the side.

Buchanan was pretty good second half pushing forward by my goodness he is way off in defence.

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

The problem I have with Buchanan is he's never actually in defence, majority of the Blackburn turnover attacks I couldn't even see him in the camera shot. He seems OK when he's back there but his judgement of when to go forward or hold back is miles off. Made worse by his inability to find Derby players with even the simplest pull back when he went forward. Got something about him but I'd rather have Forsyth just defending on Sat because he'll just get exposed again against their attackers..

26 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Central midfield is the issue, back four end up with no cover so often it's laughable. The reason Te Wierik, Clarke and Wisdom have had shockers is because Rooney has no legs and Bird can't screen a back four. Look at the second goal on sat, neither of the midfield pair got out to close Johnson. We give the ball away for fun as well. I'd have Shinnie sat in on Saturday and just tell him to protect the back four.

This. This and this.

Stefan Johansson on loan from Fulham would be perfect partnered with a “Barry Bannan type” 

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

Everton have a living legend for a manager, who's able to tailor his philosophies to suit the players at his disposal, and full internationals in most of their positions.  Not to mention a chairman with a poo-tonne of money to buy pretty much any player previously mentioned manager would like to purchase...

But yes, other than that, we're exactly the same ?‍♂️

My point is everyone is talking about improving the defence or getting in wingers or strikers, but there is complete silence on us bringing in a midfielder.

It has been and will continue to be a massive oversight from the club.

Everton was just an example of how decisive it can be if you get your midfield right. As clubs, there are very few parallels. We are obviously planets apart in terms of infrastructure, resources and pull. That wasn't what I was getting at, obviously.

It was simply that Everton had a similar fundamental problem - an unbalanced and ineffective midfield - and look what happened when they solved it.

Maybe if we sign a midfielder, it could have a similar effect.

37 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Buchanan was pretty good second half pushing forward by my goodness he is way off in defence.

Agreed but I guess by that point it was all out attack. He, and Whittaker’s cameo, impressed me in the second half. If we could I would take bird and sibley out of the firing line but sadly we don’t have enough options right now. 

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

My point is everyone is talking about improving the defence or getting in wingers or strikers, but there is complete silence on us bringing in a midfielder.

It has been and will continue to be a massive oversight from the club.

Everton was just an example of how decisive it can be if you get your midfield right. As clubs, there are very few parallels. We are obviously planets apart in terms of infrastructure, resources and pull. That wasn't what I was getting at, obviously.

It was simply that Everton had a similar fundamental problem - an unbalanced and ineffective midfield - and look what happened when they solved it.

Maybe if we sign a midfielder, it could have a similar effect.

We are crying out for a John eustace type player right now. 

I think if the central midfield trio was bird, knight and Sibley, we would be ok

at present knight is played wide, and Sibley ended up at centre forward. 

It should also work with Evans (or bielik or shinnie), and Holmes plus one other.

3 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I think if the central midfield trio was bird, knight and Sibley, we would be ok

at present knight is played wide, and Sibley ended up at centre forward. 

It should also work with Evans (or bielik or shinnie), and Holmes plus one other.

Bird, Sibley and Knight as the midfield 3, 3 inexperienced academy players ? Not for me. Need more experience, too lightweight....maybe in a couple of years time ?

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Was offered a deal but turned it down. Rumour is he wanted a longer deal than we would offer.

obviously we are struggling with ffp and a legacy of poor financial decision. Presumably Bristol aren’t in the same poo.

City after years of living off scraps and pennies have a majority shareholder who 'truly is' worth a couple of Billion (Steve Lansdown...For those that know about these things of Hargreaves Lansdown.

He put significant money into the academy and training facilities (They are building a brand new training ground and has rebuilt Ashton Gate as well), which is paying off. City have made millions in the transfer market Flint Bryan Reid Webster to name a few, and there are many more, that have all had their fees reinvested. He has also bought Bristol Rugby, who play at AG (There in The Rugby equivalent of The Europa League Final in October) Bristol Flyers Basket Ball, Bristol Ice Hockey, Bristol City women,  who are having a poor start in the Womens Prem among other sports and is specifically modelling the whole lot on Barcelona.

The next stage is to develop the surrounding area for Ice Hockey, Futsol and Basketball with a bridge between the football ground to the new indoor arena (4500 apparently)

Its taken time, but has paid off over a number of years, despite Lee Johnson being awful (PLEEEEASE dont get him if your guy gets sacked, he is dreadful)

One of the big decisions that may interest you, if I follow what's up at Derby, was he bought the football ground about 7 years ago from the football club and has turned the ground itself into a business that all comes under the umbrella of Bristol Sport.

It's fascinating, it is a clone of the Barca model, that is now bringing through its own players from the academy. On Sunday Tyreeq Bakinson (he will play at the highest level mark my words), Zac Vyner, Taylor Moore (bought from Nantes aged 19) and Antoine Semenyo all played, all costing nothing in FFP terms.

LJ being the twit he was kept buying players and dropping them, so much of the money has been spent, but FFP is not an issue and City will be off loading up to five players in the next few weeks, all of them decent but the squad is to big, creating more revenue.

City have started well, but time will tell, disappointment is nothing new to us and form is temporary, however The Derby connection of recent seasons has pretty much provided some of the core of the experienced players. 

I don't know what Derby did with Paterson, but he's been excellent since coming back and right now he's on fire, as I say form is temporary..

anyway hope that helps!... 

https://www.bristol-sport.co.uk/

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Bird, Sibley and Knight as the midfield 3, 3 inexperienced academy players ? Not for me. Need more experience, too lightweight....maybe in a couple of years time ?

I think this would work better than the current set up. All are very talented. There is a nice balance between their playing styles- hence the success in the academy. 

5 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Yes in the academy ?

Knight is brave. Sibley kicks lumps out of people who annoy him. Agree that bird is a bit of a ballet dancer, but stick Bielik in there when fit and that’s a pretty good mix. 

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Holmes flatters to deceive, and is more of a sick-note than Marriott. ?

Agree with all these points, but of the squad we have now, he is the only one to have played the dynamic midfield role we are desperate for (if only in a couple of good spells unfortunately).

Get him fit and I would go with him, Sibley & one of bird/beilik/Rooney.

Archived