Jump to content

Required Additions


DazaDunn
 Share

Recommended Posts

Recently convinced myself that I’ve heard from the club saying our defence is sorted (MTW, Clarke & Byrne) and we were now focusing on attacking players to sign? Obviously JI11 and KJ7 are in but surely we’re not just getting a striker and being done?

Two VERY important players still need replacing, Keogh & Martin.

We need to replace these very carefully, a younger Keogh (Leader) who knows the championship. MTW worries me deeply if he is believed to be the Keogh replacement. Not writing him off yet, just know if he does come good, it may take him 6 months to adjust.

Martin - Replacement focal point who is going to score goals. We know how hard this is going to be but I feel we need to replace both of these with similar quality JUST to have stood still.

If we do replace them successfully and the two new wingers come good, we would have made progression.

If it is true and PC thinks our defence is sorted, it’s time to panic!

P.S. New LB please. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look at Everton’s recruitment this summer.

They have signed James Rodriguez, Allan and Doucoure and now they’re flying.

Get the midfield right and it takes the pressure off other areas of the team.

We have the same problem Everton had. The midfield lacks balance and qualities to turn games.

Look at Dominic Calvert Lewin now. He can turn up to games with his pipe and blue slippers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, dantheram said:

Well yeah, we all want more Dutch Mikes....

Pretty sure he won the chance to play for us on a Dutch tv show or their equivalent of cornflakes. 

Why pick on Mike specifically? Sibley, Rooney, Bird, Wisdom have all dropped in performance. The whole team is worse than they were last season. Even Van Dijk would struggle in this team the way they're set up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Look at Everton’s recruitment this summer.

They have signed James Rodriguez, Allan and Doucoure and now they’re flying.

Get the midfield right and it takes the pressure off other areas of the team.

We have the same problem Everton had. The midfield lacks balance and qualities to turn games.

Look at Dominic Calvert Lewin now. He can turn up to games with his pipe and blue slippers.

I think you have a point. Our does midfield lack experience. I believe the talent is there though. The tricky bit is can we hang on while they gain the experience they need ? Perhaps a returning Bielik will help, but again he is young. 
 

I do feel gloomy after yesterday’s result - but there is always one of those every season. I am keeping my powder dry and hoping a returning Lawrence and Waghorn along with the huge slap the players will have felt on Saturday post match, might provide a bit of much needed steel .... and self reflection 

I still feel with Cocu and the Newley assembled team we will have something but another couple of drubbings and even I will start to worry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Look at Everton’s recruitment this summer.

They have signed James Rodriguez, Allan and Doucoure and now they’re flying.

Get the midfield right and it takes the pressure off other areas of the team.

We have the same problem Everton had. The midfield lacks balance and qualities to turn games.

Look at Dominic Calvert Lewin now. He can turn up to games with his pipe and blue slippers.

True. But they also had a world class manager already 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/09/2020 at 20:11, DazaDunn said:

Recently convinced myself that I’ve heard from the club saying our defence is sorted (MTW, Clarke & Byrne) and we were now focusing on attacking players to sign? Obviously JI11 and KJ7 are in but surely we’re not just getting a striker and being done?

Two VERY important players still need replacing, Keogh & Martin.

We need to replace these very carefully, a younger Keogh (Leader) who knows the championship. MTW worries me deeply if he is believed to be the Keogh replacement. Not writing him off yet, just know if he does come good, it may take him 6 months to adjust.

Martin - Replacement focal point who is going to score goals. We know how hard this is going to be but I feel we need to replace both of these with similar quality JUST to have stood still.

If we do replace them successfully and the two new wingers come good, we would have made progression.

If it is true and PC thinks our defence is sorted, it’s time to panic!

P.S. New LB please. 

I have a browse of this forum from time to time and was struck by the players who have played and or are playing for us (Bristol City) and you guys.

Keogh, Weimann, Martin and Jamie Paterson just for starters

For the record Chris Martin has been a revelation in the first few games. Moves defenders around, holds the ball when needed but will find a quick pass if the situation requires. Great player, has scored and set a couple up one of which was yesterday against Wednesday.  Did he not want to sign a new contract at Derby or was he not offered one?

Weimann has an engine like a horse and is being played in center of midfield, a new role, driving play and raising the tempo. He has had a good start with assists and a goal

Jamie Paterson has three goals already and another one on Sunday. 

Keogh was always an issue waiting to happen. I know he's a bit of a ledge at Derby, but he does have a habit of leaving under a cloud

For the record Coventry were very decent until they ran out of steam. Very busy for 60 mins. A couple of decent signings and I reckon they will be fine. 

Sheff Wednesday are decent enough and have more than enough to drag back their deduction.

Stoke cant find a forward pass. There ok with the ball and are competitive, but they need something else in the last third.

Anyway good luck this season. Its early days!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Richard246 said:

I think you may be surprised I think a centre half will come in.

 

I ducking well hope so tbh. Wisdom has been woeful as harsh as that is after his stabbing, Clarke for me is midtable level at best and Te werik has been very poor so far. I would n't mind seeing Davies or Evans given a start on Saturday as the defence is currently in shambles. Also the left back spot definitely has big room for improvement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, One Andy Weimann said:

For the record Chris Martin has been a revelation in the first few games. Moves defenders around, holds the ball when needed but will find a quick pass if the situation requires. Great player, has scored and set a couple up one of which was yesterday against Wednesday.  Did he not want to sign a new contract at Derby or was he not offered one?

Was offered a deal but turned it down. Rumour is he wanted a longer deal than we would offer.

obviously we are struggling with ffp and a legacy of poor financial decision. Presumably Bristol aren’t in the same poo.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Look at Everton’s recruitment this summer.

They have signed James Rodriguez, Allan and Doucoure and now they’re flying.

Get the midfield right and it takes the pressure off other areas of the team.

We have the same problem Everton had. The midfield lacks balance and qualities to turn games.

Look at Dominic Calvert Lewin now. He can turn up to games with his pipe and blue slippers.

Everton have a living legend for a manager, who's able to tailor his philosophies to suit the players at his disposal, and full internationals in most of their positions.  Not to mention a chairman with a poo-tonne of money to buy pretty much any player previously mentioned manager would like to purchase...

But yes, other than that, we're exactly the same 🤦‍♂️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Regarding our recruitment.

going into the transfer window I would say we needed right back cover and at least one centre back. With Lowe, Buchanan and Fozzy we were sorted at left back and happy to bin Malone.

we brought in te wierik and Clarke on loan, but it was Soon evident that we lack a dominant centre half who will marshall the back four. Te wierik Is a sweeper. Te wierik (or wisdom or Evans) and Clarke might work, but cocu decides to drop Clarke and play wisdom out of position at left centre back? Bizarre. We need to get back to basics and In the longer term we need our own centre half. Personally I would have thought a dcfc centre half was a priority rather than rely on a loan player.


selling both full backs was a bit extreme. We might yet cope but we are once again a bit short on the right. I think the timing of that sale was 12 months too soon. It’s difficult to build a whole new back four and keeper in one go. We had enough to do to sort the central defence and keeper imo.

Holding midfield - we are ok. Bird, Evans, shinnie, bielik, etc we have enough.

attacking midfield - we lacked wingers for both flanks. We have holmes, knight, and Sibley. We were short of one central midfielder unless we are going to move Lawrence . We might still be a man down.

wingers - we hadn’t really got any. Jozefzoon (Right footed) is binned. Mitchell-Lawson Is out on loan. That leaves shonibare (right footed), Lawrence (right footed), to which we’ve added jozwiak (right footed) and ibe (right footed). You’ll forgive me if I say that I think we have yet again failed to address left wing and therefore the team lacks balance. I know someone will say jozwiak prefers the left. I don’t care what he prefers. He failed to deliver a single cross from the left v Blackburn. He miskicked one with his left, and spooned two other efforts wide in trying to transfer the ball to his right foot. Ok come inside occasionally on the right foot, but the day job is to deliver crosses with the left. Poor recruitment.

strikers - losing Chris has left a hole which we need to address.

we’ve given ourselves quite a lot to do, when money is tight and the clock is ticking. 

Edited by RamNut
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.