Norwich City Vs Derby County

Millenniumram

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, ziggyram59 said:

I think it's going to be a long season, can't see us getting any points in October. 

Football is a funny old game.

3E6FDB8D-7576-48E9-BCDE-BF07A57F2046.thumb.jpeg.7819d903babc4b7b91cad138147643ee.jpeg

we’ll probably go and win at Norwich now.

20 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Marshall 

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Forsyth 

Knight Rooney shinnie 

Whittaker new jozwiak 

On paper this looks a strong side but defensive lapses can lose any game for you. I am not against s park the bus on this one to try for a point. Likely that Pukki will do us by two goals.

I'd go for

Marshall 

Byrne Te werik Clarke Forsyth 

Bird 

Rooney Shinnie 

Whittaker   Marriott Jozwiak 

I'd start Rooney because of his passing ability and vision but he needs to up his game, Sibley has been poor so should be dropped and Clarke has to start again. Forsyth in there for experience, good balls down the line occasionally and his heading ability, would tell Shinnie to cover for Forsyth on counters and Bird to stay deep with Rooney running forward, Whittaker staying high up and Jozwiak tracking back to help Forsyth for pace as well and to get on the ball more. 

The funny part about everyone's team choice is that nobody's team is the same.. which means we as a crowd don't have a clue what the best team is.. I bet Cocu is in the exact Same boat. We need a big striker and we need it fast. Davis or The big fella from Germany ideally, but at this rate I'd even settle Stern John part 2. If we go out there with Marriott upfront on his own again, our backs will be against the wall from the first whistle.

I know it's in the past, but letting Martin go without a like for like replacement was very naive imo.

44 minutes ago, SK47 said:

The funny part about everyone's team choice is that nobody's team is the same.. which means we as a crowd don't have a clue what the best team is.. I bet Cocu is in the exact Same boat. We need a big striker and we need it fast. Davis or The big fella from Germany ideally, but at this rate I'd even settle Stern John part 2. If we go out there with Marriott upfront on his own again, our backs will be against the wall from the first whistle.

I know it's in the past, but letting Martin go without a like for like replacement was very naive imo.

Judging by some of the comments coming out of the club at the time I think they were quite hopeful that Martin would extend his contract on the terms offered. Presumably his agent already had an idea of possible alternative offers and Martin, being a free agent, could walk away (and did). Not much the club could do about that. They even said that they'd leave their offer on the table so Martin could still come back if he wanted to. But I agree that from the outside it looks like naivety that they didn't seem to have a replacement lined up; Martin left weeks ago. Replacing him seems to have taken a long time.

54 minutes ago, SK47 said:

I don't think it was naive I think it was just circumstances, remember we got Martin on a free so the comparison would be that we also got another player in on a free.

If the expectation was that we got another player in who had scored and would continue to score the number of goals Martin did then that will be totally unrealistic given the finances available to us. 

10 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

Judging by some of the comments coming out of the club at the time I think they were quite hopeful that Martin would extend his contract on the terms offered. Presumably his agent already had an idea of possible alternative offers and Martin, being a free agent, could walk away (and did). Not much the club could do about that. They even said that they'd leave their offer on the table so Martin could still come back if he wanted to. But I agree that from the outside it looks like naivety that they didn't seem to have a replacement lined up; Martin left weeks ago. Replacing him seems to have taken a long time.

Were we still under an embargo when Martins contract expired.

Did we need to generate funds from the sales of Bogle and Lowe in order to replace 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Were we still under an embargo when Martins contract expired.

Did we need to generate funds from the sales of Bogle and Lowe in order to replace 

That may be a possibility. The ELF charge hanging over us clearly had a massive impact on our ability to act in January and for the early part of this window. 

1 minute ago, Olton Ram said:

That may be a possibility. The ELF charge hanging over us clearly had a massive impact on our ability to act in January and for the early part of this window. 

I am perceived to be quite a negative person on here so was just putting it out there that the clubs hands might have been tied - they might have had a good indication weeks before that Martin was not going to renew his contract but what to do - EFL has us under an embargo and we also are skint. Can't lay that at the clubs door. 

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I am perceived to be quite a negative person on here so was just putting it out there that the clubs hands might have been tied - they might have had a good indication weeks before that Martin was not going to renew his contract but what to do - EFL has us under an embargo and we also are skint. Can't lay that at the clubs door. 

Not disagreeing with you, I'm just going by what the club were saying at the time. They weren't hopeful of Huddlestone staying but were optimistic that Martin might sign a new contract. It didn't sound like he'd made it clear he'd be leaving at that stage. But, as you say, the soft embargo may have limited their ability to replace him in any case (plus a lack of funds until Bogle and Lowe were sold).

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I don't think it was naive I think it was just circumstances, remember we got Martin on a free so the comparison would be that we also got another player in on a free.

If the expectation was that we got another player in who had scored and would continue to score the number of goals Martin did then that will be totally unrealistic given the finances available to us. 

Yeah very true, However they would of known in advance that Martin might go.. there for he should of been the prime position to replace because it's all well and good having flair players, but you need a player to allow them to get into areas where they can shine.. no good having Marriott who is 4ft 5 on stilts being the guy to hold the ball up.. it was never going to work. 

Like I said, it's just my opinion but I genuinely think if/when we sign a target man, we will see a different team. 

Archived