Non-league....

Bill Curry

Hi all,

Just a suggestion for all of those missing their fix of live football, why not get down and watch your local non-league team. At the moment I think they are allowed to have 15% of their ground capacity which usually works out around 400 or so at a NPL (Northern Premier) ground and leagues below.  Its cheap too - around a tenner is usual, £5 concessions and under 14s usually free .

Couple of pints before the game, real football where you can stand pitchside and hear the bones break, a pie and chips at half time for next to nowt and a couple of pints after, all socially distanced, of course. What more could you ask for?

I've watched non-league off and on for many,many years having been unable to afford to watch the Rams.  For the last few seasons I've had a season ticket at Belper Town but I also watch Belper United, Matlock Town, Mickleover Sports, Buxton (occasionally) Heanor Town (occasionally) and Alfreton Town, although the latter, being in the National League aren't allowed spectators at the moment.

I know it won't be the standard you're used to, but no matter what the ability level, get two teams of equal ability and you'll get a good game.

It really is worth it.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Bill Curry said:

Hi all,

Just a suggestion for all of those missing their fix of live football, why not get down and watch your local non-league team. At the moment I think they are allowed to have 15% of their ground capacity which usually works out around 400 or so at a NPL (Northern Premier) ground and leagues below.  Its cheap too - around a tenner is usual, £5 concessions and under 14s usually free .

Couple of pints before the game, real football where you can stand pitchside and hear the bones break, a pie and chips at half time for next to nowt and a couple of pints after, all socially distanced, of course. What more could you ask for?

I've watched non-league off and on for many,many years having been unable to afford to watch the Rams.  For the last few seasons I've had a season ticket at Belper Town but I also watch Belper United, Matlock Town, Mickleover Sports, Buxton (occasionally) Heanor Town (occasionally) and Alfreton Town, although the latter, being in the National League aren't allowed spectators at the moment.

I know it won't be the standard you're used to, but no matter what the ability level, get two teams of equal ability and you'll get a good game.

It really is worth it.

I watch Alfreton a couple of times a season still, so sad they aren't allowed fans. I enjoy seeing folks I know and wandering around the perimeter for different views of the game.

I am not sure whether I identify enough with any other local team to go to see them, though.

I have a Belper season ticket this year in lieu of Derby games.

They’re running with a limit of 400 fans, which they used to get usually between 300 and 500 anyway, other than the 750 against Ilkeston. First home game of the season was announced as 398 attendance. 

The great news is the league has a ticket app now so you can buy ahead of time rather than pay on the gate, also has an app to pre order half time drinks and food. It’s all being run fantastically well and I’m so pleased they’ve not been stopped allowing fans this week by the government. 

If anyone is interested, they’re at home Saturday too. 

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

They’re running with a limit of 400 fans, which they used to get usually between 300 and 500 anyway, other than the 750 against Ilkeston. First home game of the season was announced as 398 attendance. 

The great news is the league has a ticket app now so you can buy ahead of time rather than pay on the gate, also has an app to pre order half time drinks and food. It’s all being run fantastically well and I’m so pleased they’ve not been stopped allowing fans this week by the government. 

Same time as the Derby game?

8 hours ago, Bill Curry said:

Hi all,

It really is worth it.

Drove by our local non league ground last week. No visible difference at turnstiles and nearby area preCovid or Covid era. Not for me.

25 minutes ago, Srg said:

Ooo I didn’t know about the ticket app, I’ll have to look into it. I’ve been saying ill pop down to a game for the last 7 years ? buying a ticket in advance might make it happen.

4 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Ooo I didn’t know about the ticket app, I’ll have to look into it. I’ve been saying ill pop down to a game for the last 7 years ? buying a ticket in advance might make it happen.

It’s a great app. You can add the ticket to your apple wallet, and it’s the same app for home and away games. In a weird way, Coronavirus has brought non-league into the modern day. In fact, that’s more high-tech than Derby!!

Not watched non-league football since Burton were down there.

Not as poor a standard as you'd think and always interesting players popping up on team sheets, whether its ex Derby or some former Premiership/Championship player. 

Terraces are a nice throwback too. 

46 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Not sure if I have misunderstood but at non league football you can gather 400 people together with no social distancing measures?

No, its socially distanced.  In the small stand you need two empty seats to the left of you and two to the front unless you are in a "bubble" with your own family members.  You can stand socially distanced around the pitch. Guidance says that if you need to move during the game then you should turn away from anyone you are passing.

Police Community Support Officers did a walk round during the first game of the season and said they intended to keep it up for other games.

It works very well - believe me and it feels safe.

51 minutes ago, Rample said:

Not watched non-league football since Burton were down there.

Not as poor a standard as you'd think and always interesting players popping up on team sheets, whether its ex Derby or some former Premiership/Championship player. 

Terraces are a nice throwback too. 

Indeed - I had the pleasure last season of a brief chat with former Ram Robin Van Der Laan, who manages Newcastle Town in the same league as Belper Town.  Sad to say he walks with the aid of stick now and looks in some pain while he's walking.

Seen others too - who remembers Nathan Tyson?  He was in the Chesterfield squad for their friendly at Belper.  Didn't get a game through.  I wonder why?

Harvey Kozluk plays at Belper too, dad Rob is often there too, offering advice and guidance to the lad.

Its all good fun!

Archived