200 Million pounds loss for EFL

Curtains

3 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

And I’m sure that’s what will happen unfortunately. I’m not advocating it at all and I’m sure if you read my posts on other threads I’ve made my opinions very clear on this subject and the devastation it will cause to the social fabric of our Cities, towns and villages.

Sadly however football (and it’s governing body) has only itself to blame for the state of its finances, that were generally in a mess before COVID. 

I think they will help, the government and Premier League in a joint effort. 

Be very surprised if they don't.

Would be a great opportunity for some great PR for the likes of Sky Sports and BT Sports if they chipped in as well

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Isn't Government help already available.

I'm sure Spurs have taken out a £175m loan from the Coronavirus Business Interruption Scheme?

Strict criteria applies to be eligible for the initiative -- including holding the highest credit rating possible for a firm -- with the money repayable in full not before April 2021 at an interest rate of just 0.5%.

Tottenham are understood to be one of a very small number of Premier League clubs who qualify for the CCFF initiative and have moved to secure their finances after projecting losses that could exceed £200m over the next year.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/tottenham-hotspur/story/4106234/coronavirus-tottenham-borrow-175m-from-british-government

2 hours ago, Spanish said:

Around 10,000 fans from each club? Do you think that is doable?  I have my doubts

Globally yes. Lot's of people all over the world who either support the club's because that's where they are from or even cooler, random people who support clubs like ours. I've got a handful of friends who don't have season tickets, who would pay for something like this. There all also many younger fans who's mum and or dad Don't let them go to the football, but would pay for something like this. Lot's of fans that don't go to Pride Park every week who would sign up. 

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

However on a personal note we should be in the grounds now, if you want to take the risk you should be allowed. 

No, no, no. I realise this is going off topic, and it no doubt had been covered in other threads, but I couldn't see this statement and not challenge it. 

It is not your risk to take. If the only consequence was you getting COVID, then sure take that risk. But it's not - you are risking passing it on to many others - not just those at the match, but those you walk past in town on the way home, in the pub for that post match drink, in your household when you get home, at the supermarket the next day, at work a couple of days later,... and each of those could pass it onto others, etc. etc.

Allowing fans into stadiums while the virus is spreading throughout the community WILL result in further deaths. I'm disliking it as much as anyone (well, maybe not B4), but sometimes you have to sacrifice personal preferences for the benefit of others. 

9 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

That's not quite true though is it.  The government can borrow from the financial markets.  In the scenario I suggested the risk to the tax payer is limited to anyone who defaults on payments, and with the loans being secured this would be minimised.

The greater risk to the taxpayer is the thousands of people who work directly and indirectly for clubs being made redundant.  The resultant loss of tax revenues would have to be made up elsewhere.  And that would mean greater tax bills for those of us fortunate still to be in work.

Who do you think pays the interest on all the debt when the government borrows more? We do, and our children do and their children, and so on. By borrowing more you're saying future generations should bail out football clubs now. Maybe they should? I was simply pointing out Government doesn't generate  any money of its own.

39 minutes ago, Crazy said:

No, no, no. I realise this is going off topic, and it no doubt had been covered in other threads, but I couldn't see this statement and not challenge it. 

It is not your risk to take. If the only consequence was you getting COVID, then sure take that risk. But it's not - you are risking passing it on to many others - not just those at the match, but those you walk past in town on the way home, in the pub for that post match drink, in your household when you get home, at the supermarket the next day, at work a couple of days later,... and each of those could pass it onto others, etc. etc.

Allowing fans into stadiums while the virus is spreading throughout the community WILL result in further deaths. I'm disliking it as much as anyone (well, maybe not B4), but sometimes you have to sacrifice personal preferences for the benefit of others. 

Won’t take it off topic as we have a thread for that, but we can go on planes, in crowded pubs, in restaurants, schools, universities, Cinemas, cafes, shopping centres, buses, trains, work places etc etc etc.......You and everyone who has liked your post has already taken that risk, why not football stadia, outside in the fresh air with precautions? So yes it’s my risk to take, as are all the above which you/we all are taking. 

5 hours ago, Uptherams said:

This is the perfect opportunity for clubs to formulate a new league system. The only thing that can save clubs from disaster is a proper streaming service. Clubs need to act now.

Every Championship game broadcast on one app, charge people £15 per month. Establish sponsorships and advertiser's that reflect the audience size. 

5 million global customers is £900m a year. Advertising and sponsorships on top of this. 

It needs to happen. They could even crowdfund to get this platform up and running and terminate any current contracts. I'd pay £100 upfront to enable this. 

The EFL can't be trusted. They are useless and will continue to sell broadcast rights for next to nothing. Especially now. They'll be going to Sky begging for a pathetic deal right now. 

Brilliant idea, and what would make it even more perfect is if Mel was to lead this in sinking the EFL, I’m sure he has plenty of tech company contacts capable of creating the platforms. 

A certain % of all profits should be divided equally all the way down to league 2 clubs who would have a lesser audience, then you should be able to choose your club and the more subscriptions the higher the profit to your chosen club. As you say sponsors could then get involved, higher fee for the most watched games etc. 

We’re in the digital age like it or not and there is a huge amount of money to be made which in these uncertain times is needed! 

Sky and the Premier League are now bringing their evening fixture kick-off times forward to accommodate the fact that pubs will be closing at 10 p.m. 

So, it isn't safe to go to the ground to watch the football outside where it would have been well-regulated, but it's okay to watch it in pubs, inside in less well controlled environments. 

59 minutes ago, Mark of Ayrshire said:

A billion a year for the championship is laughable, also remember tax and vat to be paid off that gross figure.  I’m sure there will be some merit in quality streaming but in the medium term this will never substitute match day revenue unfortunately

I think you vastly underestimate how many fans Championship clubs have, not only in the UK, but globally. 

2 hours ago, Uptherams said:

Globally yes. Lot's of people all over the world who either support the club's because that's where they are from or even cooler, random people who support clubs like ours. I've got a handful of friends who don't have season tickets, who would pay for something like this. There all also many younger fans who's mum and or dad Don't let them go to the football, but would pay for something like this. Lot's of fans that don't go to Pride Park every week who would sign up. 

Have they not considered RamsTV?

Fans located abroad can pay a monthly subscription of just £12.50 to watch every game. 

28 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

I think you vastly underestimate how many fans Championship clubs have, not only in the UK, but globally. 

I may be misremembering here but don't Sky get between 200k and 500k viewers for Derby games?  My Sky Sports subscription was / is based on access to Rams games.  And who the hell watches us other then our fans and fans of the opposition team?

Plus don't we have over a hundred thousand fans registered with the club?

And finally I have lived across the country and Rams fans are everywhere.  For instance I watched the 2007 play off final in a back street boozer in Gravesend, Kent. 12 Rams fans in.  Didn't know any of them (and I was a regular).  Zero Baggies fans.

15 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I may be misremembering here but don't Sky get between 200k and 500k viewers for Derby games?  My Sky Sports subscription was / is based on access to Rams games.  And who the hell watches us other then our fans and fans of the opposition team?

Plus don't we have over a hundred thousand fans registered with the club?

And finally I have lived across the country and Rams fans are everywhere.  For instance I watched the 2007 play off final in a back street boozer in Gravesend, Kent. 12 Rams fans in.  Didn't know any of them (and I was a regular).  Zero Baggies fans.

As a small comparison, my small town in Queensland (pop 6000) had 4 people that I know of go over for the Wembley finals last year 2 for Sunderland and 2 for Derby. I think a lot of people underestimate how many people follow championship clubs around the globe.

Archived