We need Martyn back.

Steve How Hard?

Relax @SaintRam as much as I'd love our Chrissy back, I actually mean Martyn Waghorn. I've admittedly been critical of him in the past due to his heavy first touch and lack of composure in one on one situations but we've definitely missed his infectious endeavour and cheeky chappy demeanor. Do we know how he actually came by his current injury? With the recent additions it's gonna be interesting to see how Cocu utilises Waggy. It's definitely been a case of "you don't know what you've got till you lose it" with his absence. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Waghorn up front in this team would make a huge difference. Mental really, given we are (rightly) looking to bring in a striker better than him since he lacks a fair bit technically. But Marriott offers so very little that even just a bit of endeavour from Waghorn would improve us. It’s like playing with 10 men at times at the moment. At least Waghorn would move about a bit, drag defenders out of position, and actually get on the ball sometimes. Just some sort of presence up there would change the dynamic entirely, we’d manage to get the other forwards much more involved in the play.

The striker signing is the key one this window mind. We need someone like Chris Martin, but younger, faster and better. A big ask. But that sort of player would get the best out of the rest of the team - especially Ibe and Jozwiak. Could be the difference between mid table and top 6 imo.

It seems that both Waghorn and Lawrence have become twice the players they once were as a result of their time out of the side.

I jest, but I have noticed them both getting a lot more respect recently, which I imagine is down to people realising that they’re pretty handy players to have. We miss them when they’re not around.

13 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Waghorn up front in this team would make a huge difference. Mental really, given we are (rightly) looking to bring in a striker better than him since he lacks a fair bit technically. But Marriott offers so very little that even just a bit of endeavour from Waghorn would improve us. It’s like playing with 10 men at times at the moment. At least Waghorn would move about a bit, drag defenders out of position, and actually get on the ball sometimes. Just some sort of presence up there would change the dynamic entirely, we’d manage to get the other forwards much more involved in the play.

The striker signing is the key one this window mind. We need someone like Chris Martin, but younger, faster and better. A big ask. But that sort of player would get the best out of the rest of the team - especially Ibe and Jozwiak. Could be the difference between mid table and top 6 imo.

This is unfair. We all know what type of striker Marriott is, and it isn't a target man. He thrives on lobbed through balls and aggressive, heavy-pressing play... our performances couldn't be further from that right now so it's hardly surprising he isn't having a seismic impact on games when we don't play to his strengths and on top of that, the strikers are barely getting any service anyway.

We're looking for a different type of striker but I don't think it's fair to lambast Marriott when the style (and quality) of attacking play so far has meant he was kinda destined to fail- also 1 goal in 2 games so far despite that

Marriott scored on Saturday thanks to Jozwiak's assist. Who knows, maybe Marriott is the player we all hoped he would be when he has at least 2 from Jozwiak, Ibe and Lawrence buzzing around him. Maybe those three will thrive having a hold up striker leading the line. I really don't know which would be the better option, hopefully Cocu does 

16 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Relax @SaintRam as much as I'd love our Chrissy back, I actually mean Martyn Waghorn. I've admittedly been critical of him in the past due to his heavy first touch and lack of composure in one on one situations but we've definitely missed his infectious endeavour and cheeky chappy demeanor. Do we know how he actually came by his current injury? With the recent additions it's gonna be interesting to see how Cocu utilises Waggy. It's definitely been a case of "you don't know what you've got till you lose it" with his absence. 

More chance of Rowett coming back mate.

We miss him but it was time to move on,unfortunately the injuries and trouble getting someone in has caused us problems.

That he is starting for Bristol City is a crime.

At this point we miss Keogh more.

In terms of Waggy,he’s shockingly underrated.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It seems that both Waghorn and Lawrence have become twice the players they once were as a result of their time out of the side.

I jest, but I have noticed them both getting a lot more respect recently, which I imagine is down to people realising that they’re pretty handy players to have. We miss them when they’re not around.

To be honest I think it's a case of people realising a little that despite their faults we are a better side with them in it and losing both right at the tail end of the season last year really hurt us.

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

This is unfair. We all know what type of striker Marriott is, and it isn't a target man. He thrives on lobbed through balls and aggressive, heavy-pressing play... our performances couldn't be further from that right now so it's hardly surprising he isn't having a seismic impact on games when we don't play to his strengths and on top of that, the strikers are barely getting any service anyway.

We're looking for a different type of striker but I don't think it's fair to lambast Marriott when the style (and quality) of attacking play so far has meant he was kinda destined to fail- also 1 goal in 2 games so far despite that

I think Mariott  seems to get cut a fair amount of slack  that isn't afforded to other players really. Last year you'd see things along the following; Waghorn misses a couple - "He's crap and can't finish", Mariott misses a couple - "He needs more game time to find form and better service". Or more recently "Sibley has really gone off the boil" but it's still "Mariott needs more quality around him". In your post you allude to lack of service and yet against Luton there were a lot of good crosses flashing across the box that he was nowhere near. Saying our lack of attacking quality has set him up to fail kind of removes him from the blame despite that he should be a major part of said play. Even on the few occasions we play a ball that should theoretically favour him teams have found it a be too easy to my eye to defend against it so far. And that's not to mention the stuff that we need a striker to be doing that probably isn't his game i.e. holding the ball up, dropping into space to create passing channels and physically competing with the opposition centre backs.

I'm just at a point where I'm not convinced he really offers enough as a lone striker and that I think he may need a physical strike partner to thrive at this level which outside of rare occassions likely isn't going to happen for us.

I by no means think he's a bad player whatsoever and I do hope we (through coaching or clever tactics) can find a way to get more out of him. I'm just a bit doubtful at the moment and the sooner Waghorn is fit the better.

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It is funny. They get such a tanking on here and now they are worldies, it’s great?

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

Marriott scored on Saturday thanks to Jozwiak's assist. Who knows, maybe Marriott is the player we all hoped he would be when he has at least 2 from Jozwiak, Ibe and Lawrence buzzing around him. Maybe those three will thrive having a hold up striker leading the line. I really don't know which would be the better option, hopefully Cocu does 

Yep I think a bit too early to throw the baby out with the bath water , yes he’s not a big burly win it in the air or hold up striker but I do think he may be more than an on the shoulder ball over the top or through ball on type , saturdays goal shows that , he may be Very good with intricate one twos and passing if he can find his finishing boots

44 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think Mariott  seems to get cut a fair amount of slack  that isn't afforded to other players really. Last year you'd see things along the following; Waghorn misses a couple - "He's crap and can't finish", Mariott misses a couple - "He needs more game time to find form and better service". Or more recently "Sibley has really gone off the boil" but it's still "Mariott needs more quality around him". In your post you allude to lack of service and yet against Luton there were a lot of good crosses flashing across the box that he was nowhere near. Saying our lack of attacking quality has set him up to fail kind of removes him from the blame despite that he should be a major part of said play. Even on the few occasions we play a ball that should theoretically favour him teams have found it a be too easy to my eye to defend against it so far. And that's not to mention the stuff that we need a striker to be doing that probably isn't his game i.e. holding the ball up, dropping into space to create passing channels and physically competing with the opposition centre backs.

I'm just at a point where I'm not convinced he really offers enough as a lone striker and that I think he may need a physical strike partner to thrive at this level which outside of rare occassions likely isn't going to happen for us.

I by no means think he's a bad player whatsoever and I do hope we (through coaching or clever tactics) can find a way to get more out of him. I'm just a bit doubtful at the moment and the sooner Waghorn is fit the better.

He doesn't fit the system is probably a valid argument, and likely the main reason we're actively searching for a bigger target man that does. 

Duncan will be an interesting one because he's very similar in stature to Marriott and if we bring in a target man as well, it's likely either/or between him and Jack. 

54 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

He doesn't fit the system is probably a valid argument, and likely the main reason we're actively searching for a bigger target man that does. 

Duncan will be an interesting one because he's very similar in stature to Marriott and if we bring in a target man as well, it's likely either/or between him and Jack. 

The thing is I don't think who plays up front has to be this big battering ram of a forward. Just physical enough to hold off challenges, technically adept enough to lay off the ball and tactically aware enough to get into space for a pass. 

2 hours ago, Van Cone De Head said:

More chance of Rowett coming back mate.

We miss him but it was time to move on,unfortunately the injuries and trouble getting someone in has caused us problems.

That he is starting for Bristol City is a crime.

At this point we miss Keogh more.

In terms of Waggy,he’s shockingly underrated.

I think you realise that now, that it was never a thread about CM and more a tribute to Waggy. It was just a bit of clickbait skullduggery that @David has ruined now he's changed the thread title. @DarkFruitsRam7 and@minesahartington touch on a good point about his stock going up whilst he's out. I think this is indicative of where we are as a "want, want throw away" society. We're all guilty of it to some degree or other in our lives. The current climate should hopefully move us all to a more make do and mend mindset. By that I mean we should try and see how we can make the best use of what we have instead of throwing it out at the first sign of trouble. 

Wow, that was a bit  too deep and philosophical for me. Now whatever happened to that Chris Martin fella? 

Archived