ibe to start sat?

RYRAM

10 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

@Marriott Ram99 Have you read the Secret Footballer? https://www.theguardian.com/football/series/the-secret-footballerLots in there about the experience of chronic depression and anxiety.

Also see: https://www.wsc.co.uk/reviews/64-Players/11583-tales-from-the-secret-footballer

Ive read them now, interesting  but I still find it hard to fathom how off field issues that have happened months ago or in years past mean he may not be able to play for a long time. If thats the case then it's a questionable signing, but I doubt it will prevent him from being in the squad on Saturday. Surely doing what you love and having a purpose is more mentally healthy than staying at home or watching from the sidelines. 

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Ive read them now, interesting  but I still find it hard to fathom how off field issues that have happened months ago or in years past mean he may not be able to play for a long time. If thats the case then it's a questionable signing, but I doubt it will prevent him from being in the squad on Saturday. Surely doing what you love and having a purpose is more mentally healthy than staying at home or watching from the sidelines

Yes it is.

But sometimes, the impact of a traumatic experience can affect you so much that you aren't able to function as you previously could. . .and this trauma takes time to get over. Different people have different thresholds and some cope better than others. I'm sure though that Jordon will bounce back with us. He is in very good hands at Derby County . . .and he knows that. 

Playing football and being part of a squad and management team who appreciate his talents and articulate the fact to him will be massive for him. If he can perform anywhere near his ability he will naturally be very popular but, no matter how popular he is, he will probably be on medication which he may have to take for the rest of his life. He said in his interview he just wants to play football & enjoy training.....................Go get 'em Jordon, were all behind you!!

There is clearly a strong desire from Jordon to get his life back together, partly for himself but particularly arising from his over-arching love for his young daughter. I firmly believe that the backroom staff at Derby are the right people to support him both on and off the field. For all concerned - Jordon, his daughter, the club, Mel Morris, Phillip Cocu, the rest of the staff and players and us, the fans - I really hope he is able to do so.

So, my dad suffered with anxiety and depression for large parts of his adult life.  On a couple of occasions it got so bad that he couldn't leave his bedroom for weeks on end.  At other points (thankfully the vast majority of times) he was a high performing individual in a demanding role at work and a family man who supported others he came across with mental well being problems.

What relevance does this have to Jordon?  Not much I'd suggest.  Everyone has a mental health, and everyone's mental health will be different at different times.

But it does sort of suggest that making assumptions about Jordon's mental health is probably pointless.  Having said that, the fact he has felt strong enough to talk openly about the subject is a good sign.

And I'm going to include a quote from the Mind website (mind.org.uk) on one way friends and family can help some one suffering from depression...

Don't be critical. If you've not experienced depression yourself, it can be hard to understand why your friend or family member can't just 'snap out of it'. Try not to blame them or put too much pressure on them to get better straight away – your loved one is probably being very critical and harsh towards themselves already. Mind's information about depression can help you learn more about it.

We're all Derby aren't we?  So let's treat Jordon as one of our family and support him.  He'll be ready when he's ready.  And when he's ready I'm sure he'll rip this league a new one.

1 hour ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

So, my dad suffered with anxiety and depression for large parts of his adult life.  On a couple of occasions it got so bad that he couldn't leave his bedroom for weeks on end.  At other points (thankfully the vast majority of times) he was a high performing individual in a demanding role at work and a family man who supported others he came across with mental well being problems.

What relevance does this have to Jordon?  Not much I'd suggest.  Everyone has a mental health, and everyone's mental health will be different at different times.

But it does sort of suggest that making assumptions about Jordon's mental health is probably pointless.  Having said that, the fact he has felt strong enough to talk openly about the subject is a good sign.

And I'm going to include a quote from the Mind website (mind.org.uk) on one way friends and family can help some one suffering from depression...

We're all Derby aren't we?  So let's treat Jordon as one of our family and support him.  He'll be ready when he's ready.  And when he's ready I'm sure he'll rip this league a new one.

Thank you, WHH.

I feel somewhat uncomfortable speculating on another person's mental health like this. 

It's support he needs from us, not cod-psychology. 

I have every confidence the club will be offering him any support he does need well away from the public eye. 

1 hour ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Absolutely 100% all of this .... I've posted in a similar vein earlier in this thread and I just hope I’m there at Pride Park on the day his performance takes the off the place. Best wishes to the lad. 

Catching up on this thread now. Started to scan it after it all became about his mental health struggles.

Not sure why everyone is assuming that he isn’t ready mentally. What is that based on?

I reread his Instagram post from a couple of days ago and it seems as though he’s fought through the worst of it and is refunding his passion for life and football again. I don’t think we’d be offering him a contract if he wasn’t in a fit state to play anytime soon.

If he is still struggling and this has been documented somewhere then someone please feel free to share a link with me.

As someone who has recently been through my own version of this. I found that once I redound the passion for the things I love, that I wanted to be involved and busy again to make up for lost time. I understand all minds and cases are different though.

Anyway. I expect him to be involved in the squad this weekend. Hopefully at least on the bench. We know he is more than capable of ripping up this league. I guess he won’t start a match until after the international break though.

It's a real shame that we are not all there for the first time he does run out in a rams shirt because I think he would've got a tremendous welcome from us .... I was excited when I posted the OP regarding Ibe joining us because I must've come across the article literally as it was posted and could'nt post it quick enough lol..

I am still as excited that we have signed him and think he'll need a bit of time and patience but if he can get to the levels we have already seen of him we will have a very good dangerous player tearing teams apart ...good luck Jordon ( got his name right!! )?.......and no don't think he'll be involved on saturday

Get Ibe back to the ibe of 2014 and he's the best player in this division by a long way. 

Sometimes players just dont fit at a club. Its not worked out at Bournemouth, he's had a few problems but he's 24 he can bounce back

Only a few year ago he was the next sterling. Its a lot of pressure for a young kid. Everyone deals with it differently 

I think he's one of the most exciting signings we've made in a long time & when firing on all cylinders is too good for this division 

10 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

Get Ibe back to the ibe of 2014 and he's the best player in this division by a long way. 

Sometimes players just dont fit at a club. Its not worked out at Bournemouth, he's had a few problems but he's 24 he can bounce back

Only a few year ago he was the next sterling. Its a lot of pressure for a young kid. Everyone deals with it differently 

I think he's one of the most exciting signings we've made in a long time & when firing on all cylinders is too good for this division 

Think folk need to reign their expectations in on Ibe a little. Ibe was decent in his loan spell, not the best in the league, but produced moments of magic. He was also in and out and only came good towards the end of the loan spell. Has potential to be a great signing, but after his ordeal at Bournemouth i think he’ll be a long way off ‘the best in the division’. Fingers crossed he’ll come good, it could go either way. 

• 1 month later...

Over 6 weeks since Ibe signed..... 

I’m gonna put it out there, I don’t think he will start for Derby this season in the league.....

Out of all the signings we’ve made, I think this is the strangest one going for me. I think we are living on a “past time” with this.....

Like to be proven wrong, but we all mocked the Kazim signing, at least he’s making match day squads....

Archived