This season is the real test of Lawrence

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

In his 3 years at Derby I haven't seen much of a tangible improvement in Lawrence as a player which am not sure if down to the person himself, lack of coaching from his managers or a combination of the two. Think this is the biggest disappointment for me with the guy.

You mean 3 managers/coaching teams haven't tried? Hmmmm.

I personally think Lawrence has his problems and that is letting him down not the coaches. He appears to be struggling within himself.

The deal with players like Lawrence is that they will be frustrating.

Their talent, which others do not possess, is the ability to dribble past opponents.

Statistically, they will fail to do so as much as they succeed. Others aren’t brave enough to try it, lest they fail.

When Lawrence gets it right, he is likely to contribute a goal or an assist.

When he doesn’t, we will lose possession and the fans will get agitated.

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Do we have to pull him to bits so much and put pressure on before he's even kicked a ball this season? 

Lawrence has the playets around him now that can get the best out of him. Knowing when to pass may need a bit of work but he scores good goals when he could have passed the ball.

Just now, Rampage said:

Lawrence has the playets around him now that can get the best out of him. Knowing when to pass may need a bit of work but he scores good goals when he could have passed the ball.

So who is more likely to be ready than not for the game against Watford after injury or not playing.

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

Do we have to pull him to bits so much and put pressure on before he's even kicked a ball this season? 

I hope I didn't come across as critical of him. 

I was merely pointing out that players who are exciting and take risks will fail more often than not but when they get it right they are the most exciting. 

Anyone can play the safe pass. Lawrence is one of those who takes responsibility for ramping things up. 

He doesn't always get support from those who only remember the failed attempts. 

I was on Twitter the other day and I saw a load of Fulham fans slagging off Knockaert saying how poor his finishing is and how inconsistent he is. Thing is you know if we sold Lawrence and got Knockaert there'd be a load of fans on here and Twitter saying what an amazing bit of business it is etc. They'd all be sick of him after a season for being inconsistent because they expect magic every game. If Lawrence produced magic every game he'd be in the Premier League simple as that and we'd have a healthy bank balance.

13 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

2017/18: 44 games, 6 goals, 8 assists.

2018/19: 40 games, 7 goals, 5 assists.

2019/20: 40 games, 10 goals, 5 assists.

That's an excellent player to have.

excellent, really?  best I can come up with is useful

4 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I was merely pointing out that players who are exciting and take risks will fail more often than not but when they get it right they are the most exciting. 

Anyone can play the safe pass. Lawrence is one of those who takes responsibility for ramping things up. 

Seems to have been the case for years - Ince used to get the same grief and was labelled as having a poor attitude or being lazy

Everyone loves a bang average try-hard that's the problem - We all love a Bucko (I did too) because he always seems to be playing a bit above his level and therefore it seems like he's giving more for the team/working harder

The truth is the job Lawrence does is as different from Knight/Waggers as Wisdom or Clarke's role are - Lawrence has the potential to single-handedly unlock a defence - Something that is a skill level above most players - But it's only gonna happen 2/3 times a game and at least that many times it's also not gonna pay off

But fans don't like that and therefore they moan about him

Hopefully having Jozwiak and Ibe will take some of the pressure off

6 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

I was on Twitter the other day and I saw a load of Fulham fans slagging off Knockaert saying how poor his finishing is and how inconsistent he is. Thing is you know if we sold Lawrence and got Knockaert there'd be a load of fans on here and Twitter saying what an amazing bit of business it is etc. They'd all be sick of him after a season for being inconsistent because they expect magic every game. If Lawrence produced magic every game he'd be in the Premier League simple as that and we'd have a healthy bank balance.

That's a fair point. Premier league clubs will splash out £20 million for a player just a few notches above Lawrence. We can't afford to pay that sort of money, so paying £5 million or so for players like Lawrence was where we were at that time, financially. That's the price for a decent championship standard player. As things stand, we are not even going to be spending that sort of money too often. 

7 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

That Knockers guy is on his way to the Red Dogs on loan. 
Excellent business for them if true. Ripped us to shreds on more than one occasion. 

I think players improving through coaching is one of the biggest myths in professional football.

They may more consistently show their best through repetition in a role, and more experience leads to better decisions, but it's as rare as hen's teeth to see a player improve on their technical skills once they've made their first start.

14 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

That Knockers guy is on his way to the Red Dogs on loan. 
Excellent business for them if true. Ripped us to shreds on more than one occasion. 

Has he? Maybe my memory is bad but you'll have to remind me which games.

Archived