This season is the real test of Lawrence

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, sage said:

So if a really good CF becomes available and will cost £7m do you think we would spend that without selling someone? 

No, but that probably applies to a number of clubs.

First we would need to know the interest in Lawrence is there, plus have a player we know that’s interested and available to buy.

But when we’re talking of strikers, I don’t see Lawrence being sold for another striker, if Jozwiak or Ibe are injured we’re back to square one, in that area. 

Playing 1 up top, do we need Marriott, Waghorn and JHI? If anything we’re looking at either Marriott or Waghorn becoming surplus to requirements ahead of Lawrence 

4 minutes ago, David said:

No, but that probably applies to a number of clubs.

First we would need to know the interest in Lawrence is there, plus have a player we know that’s interested and available to buy.

But when we’re talking of strikers, I don’t see Lawrence being sold for another striker, if Jozwiak or Ibe are injured we’re back to square one, in that area. 

Playing 1 up top, do we need Marriott, Waghorn and JHI? If anything we’re looking at either Marriott or Waghorn becoming surplus to requirements ahead of Lawrence 

I did say Lawrence OR Marriott. Marriott is more likely but it depends on who buyers want and if Cocu wants a Joiners-free camp. 

Just now, sage said:

I did say Lawrence OR Marriott. Marriott is more likely but it depends on who buyers want and if Cocu wants a Joiners-free camp. 

Marriott is in his last year so not sure we’d get much currently, can see him getting a new deal for ffp

9 hours ago, sage said:

if a £6/7m CF becomes available who would be a game changer and we can get £5m for Lawrence or £2m for Marriott to seal the deal, would you do it?

If there's any possibility that we could get £5m for Lawrence we would surely have to grab it. Might be a bit difficult to sell Jack Marriott as he is likely to perceived as being injury prone. 

At the moment with current financial as it is the only clubs with an money are clubs with a bit of parachute money, those who have sold a prize asset for a lot of money and Premiership teams. 

The clubs in championship are weary of spending large/any amount(s) as don't know how long the they are are going to bee financial effected by a lack of fans. The later in premiership are cherry picking talent but not paying too inflated fee's.

I personally don't think we would at present get £5m for Lawrence and be very lucky to get any reasonably acceptable offer for Marriott in his present run of form. 

Lawrence was the only guy that would come and show for the ball on the half turn consistently, soon as he got injured we never looked like scoring at all. Even if he had a bad game at least he was doing the right things. Go back and watch our best displays especially away from home and what do you see? When you only have one attacking threat it's easy to stop, like when we tried to rely on Sibley and teams just doubled up on him. If we have two wingers and a danger man In the middle supporting a good striker then no way they can contain all our threats, Lawrence could be a crucial player for us. Also when teams are sitting in he's one of the few lads we have that is dangerous from outside the box.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2020 at 12:53, tomsdubs said:

Lawrence was the only guy that would come and show for the ball on the half turn consistently, soon as he got injured we never looked like scoring at all. Even if he had a bad game at least he was doing the right things. Go back and watch our best displays especially away from home and what do you see? When you only have one attacking threat it's easy to stop, like when we tried to rely on Sibley and teams just doubled up on him. If we have two wingers and a danger man In the middle supporting a good striker then no way they can contain all our threats, Lawrence could be a crucial player for us. Also when teams are sitting in he's one of the few lads we have that is dangerous from outside the box.

I agree, when we have so few players that can pose a threat, the idea to sell one of them is a bit bizarre ?

The one thing Lawrence brings above anything else is unpredictability. I reckon he is uniquely valuable to us. Sure he lacks consistency but that can be levelled at many well rated Champ players. It’s the difference between champ and prem. 

Lawrence can also perform effectively in more than one roll. I’d hate to see him go. 

Marriott I like a lot, on it he is lethal, but we haven’t ever played to his strengths and he has a lot of injury niggles. He needs a system that allows him to poach. Martin suffered up top without close runners,Marriott suffers without a strike partner.  It’s going to be interesting if he’s offered a new contract. I suspect there are a lot of clubs that would love him on a free. 

if we didn’t have the injuries we have now, I’d say we were one player short (striker) of a team that can challenge over the next 12 months. 

In his 3 years at Derby I haven't seen much of a tangible improvement in Lawrence as a player which am not sure if down to the person himself, lack of coaching from his managers or a combination of the two. Think this is the biggest disappointment for me with the guy.

2 hours ago, Derbyram1 said:

Tom continued to play. He wanted to make his mum Deborah proud. Football distracted him, but underneath, there was intense pain. Derby were fighting for a place in the Sky Bet Championship play-offs, but elsewhere, Tom was fighting his own battle to remain strong both on and off the pitch.

“I was driving to training crying to myself in the car on some days,” he recalled.

?

Lost my mum way too soon after she contracted MRSA in Tommie's, London. Have to say I too lost my way for a while. There was no preparation for it as she was typically full of piss and vinegar immediately after the biopsy so we left her haranguing the poor doctors and nurses meaning to visit her once more before she was released. In so much, I've a deal of sympathy for Tom. That said, nearly all of us go through this at some point, unless we toddle off early ourselves and ultimately we just have to pick ourselves up and crack on at some point in time. 

I think the club have been very good with Tom and before that ridiculous sending off he was in the best form I've seen from him. The injury was a bit of a mare but I'm hoping Tom will now get his head down, train hard and show us more of what we all know he can do. I'd be telling myself I need to make my old dear proud and Tom has a ready-made means to do so if he believes in such things. With Jordon and Kamil now on the firm, I'd expect Tom to be played more centrally and I really believe he can flourish there. I don't and never have really seen him as an out and out winger, but playing in the middle and with his genuine turn of foot, he might find scoring opportunities coming thick and fast once the other two are fully up to speed. He's a far more natural finisher than Waggy and unlike many on here, I'm not going to be too distraught if those two are the options in the absence of anyone we want to sign being available. With good service and plenty of it, there's plenty of goals in the pair of them.

Not sure if we are likely to see anything noticeably different from Lawrence. He's been at the club a while now, I expect most fans see and accept his strengths and weaknesses.  Not a world beater, a bit inconsistent, but a decent championship player on his day. That would be a fair summary. Just my personal opinion. 

Archived