Rooney’s Finishing

DazaDunn

Got into a conversation the other day. Has wazza lost his shooting ability? Other than dead ball situations, any chance he’s had seems to have ended up with him finishing like a centre back.

Had a chance within the first few minutes at Luton and just seemed to swing his leg at it, vintage wazza would have buried that. I look at his open play goals which isn’t many but even his first at Luton last season was IMO a weak shot deflected into the top corner.

just a thought and wanted to see if anyone else had picked up on it?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hasn’t played up front for about 5 years at this point. He hasn’t lost it, but it does mean he gets far fewer chances so the sample size is massively skewed and won’t have the rhythm of yesteryear. Does mean if he doesn’t finish the one he gets, you end up having slightly silly discussions. 

4 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

And it was one chance... Anyone can mishit one ball, England's greatest goalscorer or anyone.

I’m on about since his first game for Derby. Just haven’t seen him hit a shot cleaning from open play.

Just an observation that’s all.

4 minutes ago, DazaDunn said:

I’m on about since his first game for Derby. Just haven’t seen him hit a shot cleaning from open play.

Just an observation that’s all.

Cool. Generally playing so deep, he's not had that many chances. I'm struggling to think of any but that's probably a reflection on my failing memory more than anything.

His best seasons at united was when he was played through the middle 09/10 Sacrificed himself for the good of the team in other seasons & wasnt the main focal point. Not saying he didn't get goals but wasn't as prolific as others.

He's better for us playing deep & getting others involved. He'll still gey goals from there & if i could pick one player for a chance to fall to in the last min to win a game it would be him

10 hours ago, G-Ram said:

His best seasons at united was when he was played through the middle 09/10 Sacrificed himself for the good of the team in other seasons & wasnt the main focal point. Not saying he didn't get goals but wasn't as prolific as others.

He's better for us playing deep & getting others involved. He'll still gey goals from there & if i could pick one player for a chance to fall to in the last min to win a game it would be him

Like on Saturday, you mean? Pulled the equaliser wide in the last minute ?

10 hours ago, Grumpy Git said:

Our top scorer stats were nothing to be proud of last season. He still misses far too many, but that's why he's playing in the Championship I guess.

Our top the goalscorers got 12, 12 and 10. West Brom's got 11, 10, 8. Fulham and Leeds both only had 1 player into double figures. And I'll give you that, at least one of those is very much Premier League quality (with the price tag and wages only parachute payments can afford).

Did Waghorn miss some chances he should have scored? Yes. Did he make significant other contributions? Yes. Does he deserve the stick some of our fans give him? Not at all. 

Archived