Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, jono said:

Reading between the lines it sounds as if he might be a Chris Martin with pace and youth on his side ? With the need to maybe polish his finishing. ?

If  he has that physical presence to go with a touch then with Sibley, Lawrence, Ibe Jozwiak buzzing around him then it makes a lot of sense. .. has he got the awareness thing ? If so then it Sounds interesting - as long as the money side is sensible 

I'd say Davis is more powerful whereas Martin has more footballing 'elegance' about him. Not sure about Davis' finishing technique...dont recall him having a shot as he seemed happy to look for other players around him. That could just be his default unselfish mindset but also could be lack of confidence.

Definitely seemed to have awareness & vision...the Villa players were all happy to use him as a 'give & go' outlet. Touch seemed decent also. Ideal platform I'd say for Knight, Sibley & the wingers...could see defenders doubling up on him also which would also free up space elsewhere. I'd be in favour of a move, either perm (as he's young & should improve) or a season long loan. If we don't get him, think we could do with someone with a very similar profile.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I'd say Davis is more powerful whereas Martin has more footballing 'elegance' about him. Not sure about Davis' finishing technique...dont recall him having a shot as he seemed happy to look for other players around him. That could just be his default unselfish mindset but also could be lack of confidence.

Definitely seemed to have awareness & vision...the Villa players were all happy to use him as a 'give & go' outlet. Touch seemed decent also. Ideal platform I'd say for Knight, Sibley & the wingers...could see defenders doubling up on him also which would also free up space elsewhere. I'd be in favour of a move, either perm (as he's young & should improve) or a season long loan. If we don't get him, think we could do with someone with a very similar profile.

Cheers, that was sort of what I read from your post and pointers from others. Feels right to me.
With Joz and Ibe arriving we should be able to get in to a more attacking mindset. It’s this that has been lacking and at the same time, inhibiting the likes of Knight and Sibley. Our style over the last few games has exposed their inexperience but it is logical and fixable with the right key signings. I think we are loaded with potential, just missing the links. We will get there I am sure. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I am not saying we need more goals from defence necessarily. Of course it would help, but the key point is someone somewhere is going to have to take up responsibility and carry the load.

Right now, I would say we can confidently rely on Waghorn to score 10-12 and Lawrence to score 5-10 based on their career averages with us.

Beyond that, yes, we do have capable players but there are also a lot of question marks there.

Marriott - can he stay fit and rediscover his confidence?

Knight and Sibley - will they play regularly and maintain consistency as young and inexperienced players?

Ibe and Jozwiak - both have modest scoring records, will they be relied upon to stretch teams, open games up and create chances rather than score goals? 

Rooney - will he offer more than just a threat from penalties and free kicks?

Everyone else - can they add goals to their game?

I am not saying it’s not possible for us to become a free scoring team with the options we have but the evidence would suggest that it is asking a lot of this group of players.

So whats your solution then? And would your solution make you happy or would there be something else ???...maybe we will score we scored a few last season it was keeping them out that was the main problem ....

Link to post
Share on other sites

If this happens it would be the first signing this window I’d be disappointed in as it’s a gamble where the upside just isn’t as good.

if we are going for a loan I’d be wanting either a Dwight Gayle/mitrovic type who’s proven at this level or someone who is of huge quality and on a none stop course for the prem like Tammy Abraham or Liam delap (the completely out of reach talents for the championship on a permanent)

if we got him on a permanent which is now out of the question with the contract renewal it would be a good option and I would be happy with someone of this ilk. Surely this must be available though and not out of our price range (strong, athletic forward with no proven goal scoring track record). The biggest factor in a strikers price tag is their goal record so someone as unproven as him should be relatively affordable from lower leagues etc. I think along the lines of Jonson Clarke Harris who recently moved, strong and pacey, wasn’t prolific for Rotherham in the championship but shown glimpses- that’s a sub 1 or 2 mill signing.

the reality is he is unproven as a striker so could be either a Tammy Abraham/ Ollie Watkins who’s worth 20 mill after a season or a Connor sammon. Who gets the main benefit of that gamble... villa.

if we are happy to use someone completely unproven I’d much rather show some faith in jhi to be honest. At least if he goes on a prolific run he’s our asset to develop for next season or sell for a big number to fund other signings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

If this happens it would be the first signing this window I’d be disappointed in as it’s a gamble where the upside just isn’t as good.

if we are going for a loan I’d be wanting either a Dwight Gayle/mitrovic type who’s proven at this level or someone who is of huge quality and on a none stop course for the prem like Tammy Abraham or Liam delap (the completely out of reach talents for the championship on a permanent)

if we got him on a permanent which is now out of the question with the contract renewal it would be a good option and I would be happy with someone of this ilk. Surely this must be available though and not out of our price range (strong, athletic forward with no proven goal scoring track record). The biggest factor in a strikers price tag is their goal record so someone as unproven as him should be relatively affordable from lower leagues etc. I think along the lines of Jonson Clarke Harris who recently moved, strong and pacey, wasn’t prolific for Rotherham in the championship but shown glimpses- that’s a sub 1 or 2 mill signing.

the reality is he is unproven as a striker so could be either a Tammy Abraham/ Ollie Watkins who’s worth 20 mill after a season or a Connor sammon. Who gets the main benefit of that gamble... villa.

if we are happy to use someone completely unproven I’d much rather show some faith in jhi to be honest. At least if he goes on a prolific run he’s our asset to develop for next season or sell for a big number to fund other signings.

I know what you're saying and I remain unconvinced we will score enough goals for a promotion bid. 

However, I think the area Cocu is trying to address is ball retention in the forwards. 

Too often our attacks break down because the opposition defence takes it off the CF in the air or on the ground and then starts an attack against us. 

Davis is the type of player who can assist 20 goals a season through his mere presence. 

He will drag defenders around and make space for the likes of Waghorn, Marriott and, in time Duncan to exploit. 

Think Heskey and Owen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I know what you're saying and I remain unconvinced we will score enough goals for a promotion bid. 

However, I think the area Cocu is trying to address is ball retention in the forwards. 

Too often our attacks break down because the opposition defence takes it off the CF in the air or on the ground and then starts an attack against us. 

Davis is the type of player who can assist 20 goals a season through his mere presence. 

He will drag defenders around and make space for the likes of Waghorn, Marriott and, in time Duncan to exploit. 

Think Heskey and Owen. 

I get what he offers just disappointed that we can’t find that on a permanent. Goal scorers are historically expensive because of their stats but I’m shocked with how our scouting has expanded to at least leave the country for once we can’t find a big athletic guy. Kind of reminds me of Carlton Coles talk sport interview about bbqs... highly inappropriate but interesting to listen to.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I know what you're saying and I remain unconvinced we will score enough goals for a promotion bid. 

However, I think the area Cocu is trying to address is ball retention in the forwards. 

Too often our attacks break down because the opposition defence takes it off the CF in the air or on the ground and then starts an attack against us. 

Davis is the type of player who can assist 20 goals a season through his mere presence. 

He will drag defenders around and make space for the likes of Waghorn, Marriott and, in time Duncan to exploit. 

Think Heskey and Owen. 

Good call. I can't give you a like because of your profile pic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Good call. I can't give you a like because of your profile pic.

Haha. Yes, he causes quite a reaction.

I’m sure he’d like nothing better than sharing a pint of Timothy Taylor Landlord with us all at the Brunswick, regaling us with his repertoire of stories about his love of Association Football.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DontTrustTheDevilInside said:

if we are going for a loan I’d be wanting either a Dwight Gayle/mitrovic type who’s proven at this level or someone who is of huge quality and on a none stop course for the prem like Tammy Abraham or Liam delap (the completely out of reach talents for the championship on a permanent)

 

Thing is, these proven goalscorers come at a price and that is why only the clubs with parachute money can afford to get them in on loan. Gayle, as mentioned, he is on £40k a week at Newcastle, plus there would be a loan fee to pay. Tammy Abraham is now on a massive £58k. Michy Batshuayi who went to Palace on loan is £100k. A player like Glenn Murray is on £30k. So is Vydra, Wickham is on £60k. You try thinking of the most shitty one we could go for that might come good, like Benteke, he earns £120k a week at Palace. Probably the best bargain out there would be Pukki who only get £6k a week but Norwich would not loan him. André Ayew at Swansea he get £83k a week and they are stuck with him. Charlie Austin is on £52k. All these are way beyond our budget.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

I can't see this one happening at all. No ITK or insider information from me. Just doesn't seem like it's got enough going for it.

I keep repeating myself, for that I apologise.

But I honestly think Sturridge is our man, it has a lot going for it, the name, friends with Ibe, great player on his day, stock fallen, lack of interested suitors, supported Derby as a kid,only issue is he is made of bolser wood.

Either him or Connor Wickham.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I keep repeating myself, for that I apologise.

But I honestly think Sturridge is our man, it has a lot going for it, the name, friends with Ibe, great player on his day, stock fallen, lack of interested suitors, supported Derby as a kid,only issue is he is made of bolser wood.

Either him or Connor Wickham.

 

A front 4 of Jozwiak, Lawrence, Ibe & Sturridge is top 2 quality imo, would definitely make for an exciting season

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we are looking (if we can) to try for a permanent signing but will if necessary take a loan. 

There's plenty of time yet to source someone yet. 

As the transfer deadline day looms clubs will start to look at their squads for players they want/need to off load.

This when bargains are had and deals that weren't thought possible get done.

We tend speculate rolling out all the old tired names or unknowns no has heard of.  

Somewhere Mr Cocu has a list of definite's,potentials, possibles and this what we will be working through.

There will be a forward signing as who, its anyone guess.

Anyone really  ITK ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I keep repeating myself, for that I apologise.

But I honestly think Sturridge is our man, it has a lot going for it, the name, friends with Ibe, great player on his day, stock fallen, lack of interested suitors, supported Derby as a kid,only issue is he is made of bolser wood.

Either him or Connor Wickham.

 

Why would we sign a player with Sturridge’s  injury record? Over the last 10 years he has averaged only around 20 games a season. If he could stay fit then it’s a yes but his record indicates that he won’t, which is precisely why he ended up playing in Turkey and his club terminated his contract. The words “touch “ and “barge pole “ spring to mind

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

Thing is, these proven goalscorers come at a price and that is why only the clubs with parachute money can afford to get them in on loan. Gayle, as mentioned, he is on £40k a week at Newcastle, plus there would be a loan fee to pay. Tammy Abraham is now on a massive £58k. Michy Batshuayi who went to Palace on loan is £100k. A player like Glenn Murray is on £30k. So is Vydra, Wickham is on £60k. You try thinking of the most shitty one we could go for that might come good, like Benteke, he earns £120k a week at Palace. Probably the best bargain out there would be Pukki who only get £6k a week but Norwich would not loan him. André Ayew at Swansea he get £83k a week and they are stuck with him. Charlie Austin is on £52k. All these are way beyond our budget.

...as things are (with no income due to absence of fans) I'd have thought they were beyond ANY clubs budget outside Premier league....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Arsene Titman said:

Why would we sign a player with Sturridge’s  injury record? Over the last 10 years he has averaged only around 20 games a season. If he could stay fit then it’s a yes but his record indicates that he won’t, which is precisely why he ended up playing in Turkey and his club terminated his contract. The words “touch “ and “barge pole “ spring to mind

I bet you a million quid his club didnt terminate his contract due to his injury record 😉

He scored 4 goals in 11 games for Trabzonspor. Not a bad return if you ask me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account.

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.