Keinan Davis

CornwallRam

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would definitely add something we don't have. I think maybe I'm a bit reluctant to the idea because it would be a loan? And a loan from Villa. With Waggy and Marriott in the last year of their contracts, I'd rather us bring in someone on a more permanent basis.

Appreciate that this might not be possible in the current environment. 

21 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Reminded me of Emile Heskey from the cameo I've just seen (heavily caveated by him playing against very tired Sheff Utd defence)

Held the ball up very well in their penalty box - backed in, strong & touch/short passing range looked absolutely fine. He also looked like he could shift & on one occasion, moved rapidly down the left to put an excellent ball across the six yard box. His movement in general was good & dragged a defender away to enable Grealish to get a couple more seconds with his 2 late chances. Couldn't really tell what he was like in the air but he's clearly a big guy. It was also apparent he's not the type to force a shot away - seemed happier to put a teammate in.

I've said numerous times that the type of centre forward we get is more important than his goal record. Irrespective of whether we go 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, we need a strong & technically adept centre forward - pace & mobility as a real bonus. Davis looks (from the little I've seen of him) to have those attributes & looks capable of forming the platform to enable Knight & Sibley to cause carnage - much in the same way Martin enabled Bryson to score so many. I also believe Ibe, Jozwiak & Lawrence to be all capable of scoring 10-15 with the right platform (and a bit of luck on the injury front)

Reservations - firstly (and assuming its not a loan), how much he's likely to cost given Villa trust him to come & on see games out - a pretty vital function for them given they're still looking to establish themselves at Prem level. Secondly, how are some of our more idiotic fans going to react to a forward who is unlikely to ever be a 20 goal a season man for us? Maybe the lack of PP crowds may help Davis establish himself in the side first (if he signs) so most can see his value before they return.

Reading between the lines it sounds as if he might be a Chris Martin with pace and youth on his side ? With the need to maybe polish his finishing. ?

If  he has that physical presence to go with a touch then with Sibley, Lawrence, Ibe Jozwiak buzzing around him then it makes a lot of sense. .. has he got the awareness thing ? If so then it Sounds interesting - as long as the money side is sensible 

7 minutes ago, Red Ram said:

Not sure why you think that. Last paragraph says "A loan move this year or next would aid his development, too, should Villa sign a new, more experienced striker".

Because the immediate plan is to give him some game time at Villa, starting in the cup on Thursday

And "should they sign another striker" is quite a big if, as they've already bought Watkins for decent money

I must admit, I've never even heard of him -  which means I must have a full opinion and talk about it endlessly. The write-up makes him sound like a different option that what we've got, so a loan sounds like a no brainer really. I like a good workhorse striker, and have had to eat my words before on people like Dikov and Kuqi who made the team look so much better just by running themselves into the dirt.

Plus we got that quote from Hulse about how much he liked "playing with Dicky. He did for me with two great balls" or whatever it was...

Jesus, it's been a long time since we've had a good striker... Was Strupar that last one?

1 hour ago, NottsRammy said:

Yup it us that simple,  shame today's managers dont follow it . It worked like a dream didnt it till maxwell pulled his millions and went for a swim 

That's like asking why don't managers play the W-M formation anymore. 

The answer is that more modern formations have proven to be superior.

18 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Because the immediate plan is to give him some game time at Villa, starting in the cup on Thursday

And "should they sign another striker" is quite a big if, as they've already bought Watkins for decent money

The plan was always for him to sign a new deal then be loaned by the looks of things.

He is playing on Thursday because as it stands he is a Villa player and their backup forward but when they bring in another forward which they clearly want to do they will loan him out as they will have Watkins, the new signing & Samatta with Wesley to return in Jan too

1 hour ago, NottsRammy said:

Yup it us that simple,  shame today's managers dont follow it . It worked like a dream didnt it till maxwell pulled his millions and went for a swim 

It's because it's no longer an effective strategy for the most part. The only teams that can play 442 generally play very defensively, sit deep and narrow and look to hit people on the break. 

47 minutes ago, jono said:

Reading between the lines it sounds as if he might be a Chris Martin with pace and youth on his side ? With the need to maybe polish his finishing. ?

If  he has that physical presence to go with a touch then with Sibley, Lawrence, Ibe Jozwiak buzzing around him then it makes a lot of sense. .. has he got the awareness thing ? If so then it Sounds interesting - as long as the money side is sensible 

Wouldn't quite go for that comparison but he can fulfill a similar role. He's big, strong, quick, technically good and a good dribbler. From the bits I've seen of him (which is limited in fairness), I do think he could be a player that in a couple years it just clicks together for.

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

But he's played 3 years at this level and done nothing. The other 3 goals came against p,boro, Crewe and Burton in the cup. 

We're trying to improve enough young players of our own without adding other teams to the mix. We need some experience.

What were his minutes in those 3 years? Barely any I’d guess. Of his 59 appearances I believe around 30 of them were last season. But when he actually starts in cup games he scores?

Just because you want to bring through players, it doesn’t mean you stop looking for others. Just because he’s signed a new contract, doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be available at the end of the season.

David Nugent had lots of experience and a good goal record...

57 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Would definitely add something we don't have. I think maybe I'm a bit reluctant to the idea because it would be a loan? And a loan from Villa. With Waggy and Marriott in the last year of their contracts, I'd rather us bring in someone on a more permanent basis.

Appreciate that this might not be possible in the current environment. 

Yeah I agree, kinda think it's an area we could do with solving a bit more permenantly but if a loan is the best we can do right now then so be it.

27 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

What were his minutes in those 3 years? Barely any I’d guess. Of his 59 appearances I believe around 30 of them were last season. But when he actually starts in cup games he scores?

Just because you want to bring through players, it doesn’t mean you stop looking for others. Just because he’s signed a new contract, doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be available at the end of the season.

David Nugent had lots of experience and a good goal record...

Against League one and two defences,  He played pretty regular for one season and only played in 7 or 8 the next.

Nugent did very well for a season and a half. Not much in the last one. We just gave him a year too long to get him through the door.

We need a player who can score 10-15 a season whether his games based on holding the ball up or not and he needs to provide ten - fifteen assists. 

3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Players that are no better than what we have like player of the season Matt Clarke?

But literally ever other loan player under Cocu hasn’t made any difference to the team. Whilst I think Clarke was very fortunate to get player of the season last year. Especially given to the difference Rooney made when coming in. 

Don’t remember Clarke ever pulling up any trees 

"You only have to speak to our players to find out what they think of Keinan Davis," Smith outlined prior to last season's season-opener against Spurs. "He bullies them in training."

Yes please! We've been a pushover for years and years and years, someone who dominates defenders is yet another thing we've lacked against better teams.

Presumably he'd be pretty handy to have in the box defending set pieces too.

Archived