Derby County v Blackburn Rovers

Mafiabob

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Andicis said:

We really do need to get something out of this game, starting the season 0 wins 3 losses is going to start to seriously damage confidence, I'd take a point as Blackburn are a decent opposition. I just hope we can defend more solidly this time. 

we'll lose this and then get lucky against Norwich.  You are right losing streaks are difficult to break and I would like a point at least on Saturday much depends on whether the new guys start to light up the team

12 hours ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

What I would give to even imagine Franco Baresi in a Derby shirt 

Maldini for me. Didn't he play till he was 108.   Interestingly Baresi and Maldini have often referred to McGrath's performance for Ireland at the 94 world cup as the most complete performance they've seen from a footballer.  We did have him  for a brief but high quality time. Wouldn't mind him back.

16 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Maldini for me. Didn't he play till he was 108.   Interestingly Baresi and Maldini have often referred to McGrath's performance for Ireland at the 94 world cup as the most complete performance they've seen from a footballer.  We did have him  for a brief but high quality time. Wouldn't mind him back.

True i do like Maldini, but Baresi just seemed to know where the ball was going to end up when the opposition had it.

Before he broke his legs he was like lightning and i don't think Milan would have let in any thing for two seasons 86-88,if he hadn't slowed down with his two duff legs, like you say like McGrath really.

3 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

Shinnie has only ever played a handful of games at LB, never mind where you’ve selected him at LWB!

He has always predominantly been a CDM his entire career other than really on in his career when he played there for Inverness.
The last time he played at LB I recall was for Scotland last year in that horror show of a performance away at Kazakhstan, where they got pummelled 3-0.

Shinnie would not fair well in the system Cocu wants us to play if selected at LB.

A left back who can really defend is essential. Anything else that he can do is a bonus.

13 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Marshall

Byrne.   Wisdom*  Clarke.  Shinnie*

Knight.     Rooney.    Bird

Holmes*. Marriott*.   Jozwiak

4-3-3 at last. Rooney as the deep lying quarterback.

* If Holmes isn't fully fit, Sibley or Whittaker.

* Similarly Hector-Ingram for Marriott

* Torn between Wisdom and TeWierik. The latter needs games but, at present, Wiz is the better option.

* Despite some reservations voiced on here, I think it's worth trying Shinnie in his original position

You know that you are in a game when you are up against Shinnie. 

21 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I do quite like the idea of that midfield and I've still got a sneaking suspicion that could well be our first choice midfield towards the latter end of the season. It's just hard to tell if the three of them are ready for it yet (not saying they aren't but I don't think anyone can know really that isn't watching them day in, day out.). For now I think our best midfield is Rooney, Bird, Sibley in a 4231. The pairing of Rooney and Bird was the backbone of our goodform post xmas, and it was noticeable how much we improved against Luton when they were put back in that combination. I also would back Sibley to start coming to the fore now we are begining to have other actual threats to stretch teams and take some of the focus off him. The team that started second half against Luton I think should be the one from the off against Blackburn. 

Is Rooney actually ready and fit enough to play 60-70+ minutes?

I think with all of the injuries and fitness issues we have, what better time is there to give the young lads a chance to stake a claim for their natural positions?

We all know Knight is naturally a midfielder, not a wide player. Sibley is the best option we have in the number 10 spot until Lawrence is back. Bird needs to stand on his own two feet.

That’s my thinking there.

The way things are shaping up for us, the first 10 games will be a write off with injuries to key players and new signings bedding in, so why not see if the boys can sink or swim?

1 hour ago, Big Bad Bob said:

Crazy thought and no doubt I will get shot down. But Sibley likes to run at defenders and Knight isn't really a winger. Would Sibley be better on the wing and Knight down the middle?

Knight put in some fantastic crosses against Luton.

5 hours ago, Spanish said:

we'll lose this and then get lucky against Norwich.  You are right losing streaks are difficult to break and I would like a point at least on Saturday much depends on whether the new guys start to light up the team

Stop being so flaming nagtive we can get all 3 points.

Archived