Derby County v Blackburn Rovers

Mafiabob

Getting in there early....

I don't want Cocu out but does he know what he's doing? We're struggling to score goals but he still doesn't pick Waghorn or Martin. Crazy.

Still on team selection, say what you like about Lampard but he would always include Mount, if fit. Under Cocu, we've not seen him.

So what's Cocu done to improve our attacking options? He's only gone and sold our play off centre forward and best left back to Millwall.

Ah Millwall. I do miss Gary Rowett. He knew tactics. All this sideways passing and ball possession under Cocu. If we've got the ball, how can we steal it off the opponents and do a speedy breakaway?

Rowett-ball works. Against Fulham in the playoffs under Rowett, we even had a shot on target. Admittedly, that was across the two legs but even so.... it's better than now.

Enough of this namby bamby keep ball. Let's get it forward. How's Jack ever going to get the chances against Blackburn's 7 foot centre halves unless we hoof the ball forwards as soon as we get it.

Up the Rams. Up Cocu.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marshall

Wisdom      Te Wierik       Clarke

Byrne                                                                  Shinnie

Bird       Rooney

Knight         Hector-Ingram       Woziak

Subs: Roos Evans Davis Forsyth Sibley Marriott Whittaker

Not at all sure about this one. We're still down to those bare bones before people recover from injuries and new signings come in. I think Cocu may have been being economical with the truth when talking about Marriott, who was apparently very swollen after the game last week. Whittaker could take the centre forward role with JHI on the bench. With these personnel Knight can supplement the midfield more with the other two being more of the key strikers. I'd rather only play with two central defenders, but we need to stop the goals being conceded as well as scoring more, and this seems a reasonable use of our limited personnel.

Marshall

Byrne.   Wisdom*  Clarke.  Shinnie*

Knight.     Rooney.    Bird

Holmes*. Marriott*.   Jozwiak

4-3-3 at last. Rooney as the deep lying quarterback.

* If Holmes isn't fully fit, Sibley or Whittaker.

* Similarly Hector-Ingram for Marriott

* Torn between Wisdom and TeWierik. The latter needs games but, at present, Wiz is the better option.

* Despite some reservations voiced on here, I think it's worth trying Shinnie in his original position

6 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Not disputing that, I'm just making the pointing out that it's a bit early to be arriving at any sort of supposition. If you're going to then presumably:

2020/21 - Two games, two defeats against teams that you think are not going to be in the play offs (which I agree with)                        supposition = we're not going to get in the top six

2011/12 - Win first four games including against two teams that finish in the top six (fact, not supposition)                                      supposition = we'll get promoted/finish in the top six (didn't happen)?

The loss of six points in a season is bad when they are not on paper extremely hard games to win. During the final ten games we would certainly have realised the importance of the six points dropped at the start of the season. Three more lost against Blackburn would mean a very poor start and we would be possibly be nine points adrift 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Marshall

Wisdom      Te Wierik       Clarke

Byrne                                                                  Shinnie

Bird       Rooney

Knight         Hector-Ingram       Woziak

Subs: Roos Evans Davis Forsyth Sibley Marriott Whittaker

Not at all sure about this one. We're still down to those bare bones before people recover from injuries and new signings come in. I think Cocu may have been being economical with the truth when talking about Marriott, who was apparently very swollen after the game last week. Whittaker could take the centre forward role with JHI on the bench. With these personnel Knight can supplement the midfield more with the other two being more of the key strikers. I'd rather only play with two central defenders, but we need to stop the goals being conceded as well as scoring more, and this seems a reasonable use of our limited personnel.

I am disappointed that you have not put Fozzy in your starting lineup. I still wondet if Davies is the answer in terms of marshalling the defence. We are missing Keogh big time.

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

I don't want Cocu out but does he know what he's doing? We're struggling to score goals but he still doesn't pick Waghorn or Martin. Crazy.

Still on team selection, say what you like about Lampard but he would always include Mount, if fit. Under Cocu, we've not seen him.

So what's Cocu done to improve our attacking options? He's only gone and sold our play off centre forward and best left back to Millwall.

Ah Millwall. I do miss Gary Rowett. He knew tactics. All this sideways passing and ball possession under Cocu. If we've got the ball, how can we steal it off the opponents and do a speedy breakaway?

Rowett-ball works. Against Fulham in the playoffs under Rowett, we even had a shot on target. Admittedly, that was across the two legs but even so.... it's better than now.

Enough of this namby bamby keep ball. Let's get it forward. How's Jack ever going to get the chances against Blackburn's 7 foot centre halves unless we hoof the ball forwards as soon as we get it.

Up the Rams. Up Cocu.

Some goals are scored in the Prem from big boots up the field often from the GK. Still count as a goal. When you cannot play through, then boot it upfield for a 50-50 chance. You know it works on occasions. We need some points, however they come.

10 minutes ago, Rampage said:

I am disappointed that you have not put Fozzy in your starting lineup. I still wondet if Davies is the answer in terms of marshalling the defence. We are missing Keogh big time.

I like Fozzy but want to try Shinnie as he's spent most of his career there but we've never seen him iirc.

You're so right about Keogh. I  was just thinking the other day as the recruitment seems to have been good this summer, that if only we had Keogh we'd be a very strong promotion proposition indeed. Such a massive shame for all concerned. 

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Up the Rams. Up Cocu.

Martins gone to Bristol City.

Marshall

byrne.     Wisdom     Clarke.      Buchanan

Bird.           Rooney

knight.               Sibley.             Jozwiak

Marriott

Not really fussed between

• marshall and Roos
  • te wierik and wisdom or evans 

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I like Fozzy but want to try Shinnie as he's spent most of his career there but we've never seen him iirc.

You're so right about Keogh. I  was just thinking the other day as the recruitment seems to have been good this summer, that if only we had Keogh we'd be a very strong promotion proposition indeed. Such a massive shame for all concerned. 

Shinnie has only ever played a handful of games at LB, never mind where you’ve selected him at LWB!

He has always predominantly been a CDM his entire career other than really on in his career when he played there for Inverness.
The last time he played at LB I recall was for Scotland last year in that horror show of a performance away at Kazakhstan, where they got pummelled 3-0.

Shinnie would not fair well in the system Cocu wants us to play if selected at LB.

9 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think he started his career there, but since he joined Aberdeen it was almost entirely at DM/CM, filling in at LB for just a couple of games each season.

Transfermarkt have him down as an even split between LB and DM/CM. He even filled in at RB during his ICT days (17 games) and at CB for one rare game in 2011.

I don't think it's an experiment worth trying unless it's an emergency

10 hours ago, Rampage said:

The loss of six points in a season is bad when they are not on paper extremely hard games to win. During the final ten games we would certainly have realised the importance of the six points dropped at the start of the season. Three more lost against Blackburn would mean a very poor start and we would be possibly be nine points adrift 

Well of course two defeats is not a good start and three would be poor (but very likely in my opinion). If we lose Saturday we’ll almost certainly be 9 points behind the leaders but, you seem to be refusing to accept my point that the first two, three or four games of the season doesn’t necessarily mean your whole season is going to be a right off or success.

11 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Up the Rams. Up Cocu.

A tactical masterclass scuppered by the other team deciding to attack (?) and “commit men forward”, very weird tactics from Fulham that no one could have seen coming. 

Marshall

bryne        Wiz                Clarke        Shinnie     

Rooney

Bird                       Sibley

knight                                               Jozwiak

Marriott

switch us to the 433 like we played the second half. Marriott also played his best football in a 433. It’s a no brainer at this point. Shinie in at lb. personally dint think Buchanan is ready yet. Have Rooney playing forward passes with the energy of sibley and bird to drive up the pitch and create something. Also allows Rooney for the diagonal ball to either knight of jozwiak to run. Bryne and shinnie providing width and bibs your uncle 6-0 thrashing 

Archived