U23s vs Liverpool

Ghost of Clough

8 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I know a few ex u23 lads through the Community Trust.  Some better players than others, some Derby some not.  But there are more than a few who chose apprenticeships in the USA and other options ahead of pro contracts with Championship, L1 &L2 teams.

I'm sure it does happen, but I'd guess most young footballers would prefer to be footballers first, and coaches second.

As an example, I know Bucko used to coach the age groups at Mansfield while also being a contracted player, so it is possible to combine the roles.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, David said:

5 years he's been playing in the PL2 but still only 21 so you would assume another couple of years he will be gone, I say that as he's not had any sniff of first team action.

He’s 22 and will be 23 in jan (according to his bio on the official website). So will be his last year in the team if he hasn’t moved on or up into the first team squad 

1 hour ago, Jram said:

Quality, hopefully he’ll break through then!

Cant remember the last centre back we produced.. thought Rawson and Hunt we’re close but obviously both were allowed to leave for free 

Mark O’Brien made a few apps I believe?

I'm calling you out on that - you can remember exactly the last centre back we produced! ?

7 hours ago, ramit said:

Except when they were discussing the reason behind Derby getting back into the game and decided it could be measured in psychology rather than the correct assessment, meters.

And in psychology everything needs to be measured in some reliable scale nowadays. Hard science. 

9 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Many thanks for that. Im not as clued up as you & @angieram so really appreciate the perspective & updates? 

Obviously we've had a lot of midfielders burst through, be great if we could get a centre half & centre forward emerge too..clearly trialist is being primed for a hefty loan move. I did think he was on the verge of a start but clearly something is missing from Cocu's POV.

Thanks but I am an amateur compared to @Ghost of Clough. I just enjoy watching the academy teams when I can, don't know much about the stats and stuff. My view is always an idiosincratic one!

10 hours ago, FrostedRam said:

He’s 22 and will be 23 in jan (according to his bio on the official website). So will be his last year in the team if he hasn’t moved on or up into the first team squad 

..or he could just carry on playing for them forever taking up one of the overage player spaces.

I say forever, I mean until his dad leaves!

3 hours ago, angieram said:

Thanks but I am an amateur compared to @Ghost of Clough. I just enjoy watching the academy teams when I can, don't know much about the stats and stuff. My view is always an idiosincratic one!

Think you're doing yourself down personally..you've always got an opinion worth reading ?

Hopefully common sense prevails & they start letting folk back into the Academy games asap

Archived