U23s vs Liverpool

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

It must be just me who thinks that would be strange then.

I'd keep on playing at the highest level possible, do my coaching badges in the 30 hrs of spare working time a playing career gives you, which quite a number of lower league players do already, and set my coaching career up from a position of playing experience, backed up by a solid body of coaching work.

I went to school with a number of lads who dropped out of academy football because they didn’t enjoy it, and opted to play Sunday League instead. I wouldn’t bet against some people opting not to go pro for similar reasons despite being good enough to make it. 

Great result!

Re: Wassall. He looks a steady defender, he has all the physical qualities and puts himself in the right place, but I don't think he's cut out for a "play it out from the back" kind of team. His passing isn't great at all and often go higher into the air than they do in any other direction.

I suspect he'd do well at a team that likes to get stuck in and play the long ball over the top, but not in our current style.

Solomon is a lot more comfortable on the ball, as is Bateman. I'd like to see that partnership and see how the passing out from the back works then.

I enjoyed that all round tonight. Really impressed with our team discipline under pressure tonight. For all their possession,  we limited Liverpool to very few chances. Solomon was outstanding and all four of those defenders can head the ball further than some of our first team can. 

Well done, young Rams. 

2 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

VERY enjoyable game!

Stonewall defending against a disciplined Liverpool side!

Good minimalist commentating in the old style when we were told who was doing what and why.

Except when they were discussing the reason behind Derby getting back into the game and decided it could be measured in psychology rather than the correct assessment, meters.

4 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I went to school with a number of lads who dropped out of academy football because they didn’t enjoy it, and opted to play Sunday League instead. I wouldn’t bet against some people opting not to go pro for similar reasons despite being good enough to make it. 

Were they 22 yrs old when they dropped out?

12 minutes ago, Jram said:

Did we sign Solomon recently? Never heard of him!

A second year scholar so should still be in the U18 squad. Played about 10 games for the U18s last season but did enough to be included in Cocu’s first team squad this pre-season and looks set to be a permanent member of the U23s this season. 

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Before pre-season I would have had Minkley ahead of Solomon as a RCB option, with Cashin and Rutt more highly rated at LCB. Those minutes Solomon put in for the first team were pretty impressive and changed my opinion. I think he’s still only 17 so maybe Cocu doesn’t think he’s mentally ready for competitive football. Minkley also covers RB.

Many thanks for that. Im not as clued up as you & @angieram so really appreciate the perspective & updates? 

Obviously we've had a lot of midfielders burst through, be great if we could get a centre half & centre forward emerge too..clearly trialist is being primed for a hefty loan move. I did think he was on the verge of a start but clearly something is missing from Cocu's POV.

2 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

That sounds more like inside knowledge than a guess!

Why on earth wouldn't you want to be a pro footballer, even at a lower level. Coaching can wait until your playing career is done, or even be done simultaneously?

I know a few ex u23 lads through the Community Trust.  Some better players than others, some Derby some not.  But there are more than a few who chose apprenticeships in the USA and other options ahead of pro contracts with Championship, L1 &L2 teams.

Archived