U23s vs Liverpool

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Does he want to be a pro footballer? Maybe he wants to go straight into coaching and is playing for the U23s whilst he does he badges?

That sounds more like inside knowledge than a guess!

Why on earth wouldn't you want to be a pro footballer, even at a lower level. Coaching can wait until your playing career is done, or even be done simultaneously?

2 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Why on earth wouldn't you want to be a pro footballer, even at a lower level. Coaching can wait until your playing career is done, or even be done simultaneously?

Some players get to a certain stage and realise they won’t enjoy professional football and lose interest. We’ve all heard stories about players saying they don’t care about football, they just play it because they’re good at it and the pay’s good

3 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Unless, that's where his head is at

5 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Now I can't speak with certainty because obviously I'm not and have never been in a position to make this choice,

but I *feel* as though if I had come to the conclusion I wasn't going to really amount to much, maybe a career at League Two level, I may well choose to follow (if I'm Wassall) my dad (who I'm obviously close to) into coaching and stick around a great youth development system in Derby, rather than play.

Fact is, that's an 8 or so year head-start Vs playing and then switching to coaching, and if I believe in myself I could really climb the ladder in that time. Could be looking at 30 year old Ethan Wassall becoming a head coach somewhere. Never know.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A very solid game for him. He’s another of those that puts everything he has into the game which makes him so likeable

He's uncompromising but he can play a bit too. Think Archie has been good tonight too and young Solomon has put in some good blocks. Liverpool look a very decent team to my eyes and defensively I think we've coped admirably. 

5 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Some players get to a certain stage and realise they won’t enjoy professional football and lose interest. We’ve all heard stories about players saying they don’t care about football, they just play it because they’re good at it and the pay’s good

Wouldn't that also apply to a possible coaching career?

I can't imagine he's earning much more than a qualified tradesman at this stage of his career, so I think it's unlikely that he's hanging on to the cash to set himself up in life.

8 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Now I can't speak with certainty because obviously I'm not and have never been in a position to make this choice,

but I *feel* as though if I had come to the conclusion I wasn't going to really amount to much, maybe a career at League Two level, I may well choose to follow (if I'm Wassall) my dad (who I'm obviously close to) into coaching and stick around a great youth development system in Derby, rather than play.

Fact is, that's an 8 or so year head-start Vs playing and then switching to coaching, and if I believe in myself I could really climb the ladder in that time. Could be looking at 30 year old Ethan Wassall becoming a head coach somewhere. Never know.

It must be just me who thinks that would be strange then.

I'd keep on playing at the highest level possible, do my coaching badges in the 30 hrs of spare working time a playing career gives you, which quite a number of lower league players do already, and set my coaching career up from a position of playing experience, backed up by a solid body of coaching work.

Archived