U23s vs Liverpool

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, David said:

So he is 16, @Srg was asking and I thought I heard he was 16 and playing for United's U18s, but looking at him you would say 21 easy. 

Some mature physically quicker than others.  Bennett looked 30 at 15, wish his brain would have followed suit

1 hour ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

Ethan Wassall will be in our u23 team well into his 30s. Seems to have been there for years.

1 hour ago, David said:

5 years he's been playing in the PL2 but still only 21 so you would assume another couple of years he will be gone, I say that as he's not had any sniff of first team action.

I think he'll be a fine LG1/2 defender, maybe even Championship at a push.

He's in a tricky situation, good enough for a lower league loan, but important enough for our u-23s that any loan offer would be unlikely to be accepted unless he's given guaranteed 1st team league action.

Enjoyed that first half.

Some take aways from it:

We are definitely using the same tactics as the first team and our centre backs don't look comfortable on the ball or great at passing forwards (just like the first team ?) but they've eventually rode out the Liverpool press and we got chances on the break that we've put away. If Jozwiak offers the same sort of outlet for the first team then we might get somewhere against Luton tomorrow!

Shonibare and Brown have paired up brilliantly down the left. McDonald looks good at RB too, but Wilson hasn't got into the game that much and most of his touches are when he's been back helping defensively.

Shonibare is very calm on the ball and his first touch is almost always perfect.

Ibrahim is only 16? The size of the lad! He's had a couple of errors in his play but he's always available to pass to when we've been attacking.

Stretton is a pure poacher. He struggled against the defenders early on, but I believe the ref was giving fouls against him too easily. Took his goal really well.

Bateman is a ball playing centre back but is filling in alright at DM. Not seen too much from Dixon in the first half.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

A good 1st half of football ?

Great to watch. I feared for us for a while with the Liverpool press, but we seemed to suddenly cotton on how to play around it a bit more, probably helped by the goal coming out of nowhere against the run of play.

I love watching Shonibare in full flight, he has serious pace. 

Just a mention for Tyree Wilson, he has put in a good shift coming back to help out in defensive midfield. Not usually his strength so looks like he's been working hard on that aspect of his game.

Still a long way to go against a talented Liverpool side but we have great team spirit.

1 minute ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I think he'll be a fine LG1/2 defender, maybe even Championship at a push.

He's in a tricky situation, good enough for a lower league loan, but important enough for our u-23s that any loan offer would be unlikely to be accepted unless he's given guaranteed 1st team league action.

Really needs a better loan at this point, only been out to Hereford, not sure what he's going to gain from more U23 football now.

I find how entertaining the U23s are too watch very reassuring.

We know that the club are following the approach of having all the age groups play the same system of football (or at least all the staff talk about it); and the U23s are a really great watch. They're not the best team in the league, but they are very competitive.

It makes me hopeful that once some quality is added to the first team, and we have a more competitive squad, Cocuball will be a great watch.

Seem to have pulled back even further now, not sure about that.

Something to mention.  The opportunity to work your way into the first team is very real within our team and has a great effect on our young players and is IMO one of the reasons why our young squads perform so well.

1 minute ago, ramit said:

Seem to have pulled back even further now, not sure about that.

Something to mention.  The opportunity to work your way into the first team is very real within our team and has a great effect on our young players and is IMO one of the reasons why our young squads perform so well.

We need to trick the senior players into thinking they're playing to earn a place in a veteran team.

16 minutes ago, David said:

Really needs a better loan at this point, only been out to Hereford, not sure what he's going to gain from more U23 football now.

That's my point really. For the player there is not much gain I agree, but it's a balance between what's best for him, and what's best for his young teammates. 

Can our 23's remain competitive without him, in which case loan him out, or does his presence mean they'll get more out of games so it's worth keeping him in the building, possibly at cost to his own long term career?

Tricky, and that's without his parentage to consider.

2 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

That's my point really. For the player there is not much gain I agree, but it's a balance between what's best for him, and what's best for his young teammates. 

Can our 23's remain competitive without him, in which case loan him out, or does his presence mean they'll get more out of games so it's worth keeping him in the building, possibly at cost to his own long term career?

Tricky, and that's without his parentage to consider.

Does he want to be a pro footballer? Maybe he wants to go straight into coaching and is playing for the U23s whilst he does he badges?

Archived