Reg Harrison

Bill Curry

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That’s sad news.

he sat quite near me at games and I always wanted to speak to him, but there was no way he would have been able to hear me over the racket coming out of the p.a.

RIP Reg

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

One of the very few players I have actually met. He really was a charming man who had time for literally anyone who wanted to speak to him. RIP Reg.

Yes, he was at the "Access all Eras" event at the Quad last season. He seemed a very gentle and charming man. Old school. 

Sounds like his was a good life, well lived. RIP, Reg.

We live in an age where the word ‘legend’ gets thrown around very liberally, but Reg Harrison was part of a team that won Derby County’s first ‘top level’ trophy, and, from what I understand, spent a lot of his later life involved in the community. He is the kind of person who earned that title. We often spend time looking back at the teams of the 70s under Clough and Mackay (who are both memorialised with statues at the ground), or the 80s under Cox, the 90s under Smith and even teams and players from the 2010s, but rarely do we look back further into other parts of our history. Reg was part of a generation who were before our time that often gets forgotten, and I hope the club does something to remember him in the short term, but all of them in the longer term. In a world where football was only invented in the last 30 years, it’s perhaps time we did something to let our own fans know that we once won the FA Cup, and we have a history of great players who are simply being forgotten. 

Rest in peace Reg, thank you for all you did for Derby County and for the the community of Derby as a whole. 

Only a couple of weeks ago there was a thread on him.

Rest in Peace. When he came coaching he was hard but fair and one of those people who you felt like you had to impress and show respect. 

Not just a Derby County legend but a legend for all school boys and Sunday league players of a certain age. A legend of this city. 

Rest in Peace. 

Rams and Derbyshire folk should feel proud and inspired by him today. 

Forest fan here in peace.

Reg used to coach us kids when I played for Rykneld Colts back in 1974/75.

He became a friend of the family for many years too, due to my father working as a scout at DCFC.

Reg was a proper gentleman and very genuine guy,  he really loved his football.

He will be sadly missed, RIP Reg Harrison, from NFFC Gary and family.

Archived