Jason Knight (in his proper position)

CocuBarmyArmy

Great post. He's scrappy and that's a hugely underrated quality for us. In every area of the pitch too. Winning the ball, retaining possession, chasing back, breaking forward and getting those goals inside the box. 

I think he's rubbing off on Whiticker. As big a fan I am of Bird, I hope the manager just let's Bird express himself and get stuck in too. Allowing him to be more mobile. 

Hopefully Sibley will emulate his style of scrappy more too and less Lawrence style ?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 16/09/2020 at 00:35, CocuBarmyArmy said:

The lads quality and I think he often gets over looked by our fans. Imo I think he’s actually our best young player, he runs through walls for the team and scores a fair bit as-well. One of our best performances last season was the 2-1 win over Charlton where he scored the brace. I understand the Max Bird love in, the lads quality, but isn’t it time that we gave Knight a go in his proper position? He’s a bit more direct and I think that’s what we need at the minute, I know it’s needs must right now but hopefully he’ll get a chance at centre mid when we get the new wingers in (touch wood).

Think he's a very exciting young player who definitely needs some time at CM at some point - But I think the volume of players we have in that position at the moment limits his opportunity there

The last couple of weeks have suggested we need more control and leadership in there - I think Evans provided a bit of that against Preston but I'm keen for Rooney to drop back in there ASAP - Hopefully Bielik will provide some when back and Bird can learn it over time

Would love to see a midfield of Bird, Knight and Sibley in 3/4 years time if they each continue to develop how they have so far

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Think he's a very exciting young player who definitely needs some time at CM at some point - But I think the volume of players we have in that position at the moment limits his opportunity there

The last couple of weeks have suggested we need more control and leadership in there - I think Evans provided a bit of that against Preston but I'm keen for Rooney to drop back in there ASAP - Hopefully Bielik will provide some when back and Bird can learn it over time

Would love to see a midfield of Bird, Knight and Sibley in 3/4 years time if they each continue to develop how they have so far

I would agree. This may sound odd but in a 4231, i would play him in the CAM role. Not as advanced as Sibley has been but ahead of Bird and Rooney. He is the best we have closing down opponents and the higher up the pitch you can win the ball the better. I would have Jozwiak outside left and Sibley inside right leaving room for Byrne to overlap. Knight is also Bryson like in terms of arriving in the box to score.  

1 hour ago, sage said:

I would agree. This may sound odd but in a 4231, i would play him in the CAM role. Not as advanced as Sibley has been but ahead of Bird and Rooney. He is the best we have closing down opponents and the higher up the pitch you can win the ball the better. I would have Jozwiak outside left and Sibley inside right leaving room for Byrne to overlap. Knight is also Bryson like in terms of arriving in the box to score.  

I essentially want him to play the Bryson role long term - I still essentially want a Thorne, Hughes, Bryson combo - Creative Destroyer, Creative Provider/Playmaker and box-to-box runner/terrier - Think Bielik/Bird, Sibley and Knight aren't far off that

3 hours ago, Premier ram said:

He would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me , his heart , desire and commitment should be an example to all

I've got heart, desire and commitment. Doesn't make me good enough for Derby though. 

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

If we had a team full of Jason Knights I'd be happy.

Made a real difference when moved inside because he can actually tackle

Not sure what's going on with Bird at the moment but he needs to step up his game if he's gonna keep Knight out of that position

7 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Made a real difference when moved inside because he can actually tackle

Not sure what's going on with Bird at the moment but he needs to step up his game if he's gonna keep Knight out of that position

I think that's why we need to move to 433 with any two of Knight, Shinnie and Holmes in the advanced two CM roles. We absolutely need to sacrifice some of our passing play to bring back some fight/desire/energy into that midfield.
It means Sibley would have to adjust to the role on the wing, but I think that'll benefit him at this moment in time as he'll have more space to play.

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think that's why we need to move to 433 with any two of Knight, Shinnie and Holmes in the advanced two CM roles. We absolutely need to sacrifice some of our passing play to bring back some fight/desire/energy into that midfield.
It means Sibley would have to adjust to the role on the wing, but I think that'll benefit him at this moment in time as he'll have more space to play.

I'd bring two of them in TBH - I think the biggest problem on Saturday was Rooney and Bird - Neither can tackle, neither seem to track back, neither protect the back 4 - Two of the goals came from Rooney giving the ball away in stupid positions - Two of the goals came from Rooney and Bird not closing down Johnson - All 4 goals came from the opposition having free reign through the middle

Archived