Jason Knight (in his proper position)

CocuBarmyArmy

The lads quality and I think he often gets over looked by our fans. Imo I think he’s actually our best young player, he runs through walls for the team and scores a fair bit as-well. One of our best performances last season was the 2-1 win over Charlton where he scored the brace. I understand the Max Bird love in, the lads quality, but isn’t it time that we gave Knight a go in his proper position? He’s a bit more direct and I think that’s what we need at the minute, I know it’s needs must right now but hopefully he’ll get a chance at centre mid when we get the new wingers in (touch wood).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, CocuBarmyArmy said:

The lads quality and I think he often gets over looked by our fans. Imo I think he’s actually our best young player, he runs through walls for the team and scores a fair bit as-well. One of our best performances last season was the 2-1 win over Charlton where he scored the brace. I understand the Max Bird love in, the lads quality, but isn’t it time that we gave Knight a go in his proper position? He’s a bit more direct and I think that’s what we need at the minute, I know it’s needs must right now but hopefully he’ll get a chance at centre mid when we get the new wingers in (touch wood).

Yes he suffers because of his versatility. I still think Sibley will be the best though. 

7 hours ago, CocuBarmyArmy said:

Agree, I like Knight and if played in his preferred position I think he'd have a very good season. The problem is I'm not sure his prefered position exists in our current system, he's not an attacking midfielder / no 10 or a holding midfielder, he's a box to box player similar to prime Bryson.

Assuming Jozwiak and Ibe come in along with a striker capable of holding the ball up I'd like to see us move to a more conventional 433 but not sure we have the right balance until Bielik is fit again. Bielik as the ball winner, Rooney or Bird knitting play together and Knight or Sibley as the runner who can get up and around the striker or arrive late in the box looks like it'd have a nice balance and a bit of everything you need in midfield.

I’ll be honest in my first choice 11 with all players fit he doesn’t get close to the team, however he’s doing what he can to prove me wrong. 

Has the industry of Bryson with a goal scoring side to him, can certainly ruffle some feathers and hold down a place in the side. Be nice to see him down the middle for a run of games. 

It's tough on the lads, but really Knight and Sibley will be fighting for the same position and maybe that is the best way to do it. Keep them fresh and be able to change them when the game needs something different or if one of them is having an off day. We shouldn't be reelying so heavily on fielding all our young players. They have time to cement their place and find their feet.

Marshall/Roos

Byrne/ Wisdom  Te Wierik/Davies  Clarke/Evans  Forsyth/Buchannan

Bielik/Shinnie

Bird/Rooney          Knight/Sibley

Ibe/Waghorn                                                            Jozwiak/Lawrence

New/Marriott

I think we'll end up playing something more like this. Rooney should be focusing on coaching Bird in an attacking sense - giving him the confidence to use his range of passing. He does the simple stuff so well but he needs to take more risks. He'll occasionally fire a pinpoint cross-field pass to find an overlapping full back...we just need more of that. We shouldn't be expecting either of them to play every game, so using them interchangeably at the start of the season might work better. 

Same with Knight and Sibley. They're both great but will go in and out of form. Both of them need to be involved deeper. At the moment we have Bird/Shinnie/Rooney playing in their own half, often between the centre backs, and these two guys isolated further up the field. Both of them are great at driving the ball forward but they don't do it when there are two holding midfielders playing.

I think this was the intention anyway, but we just haven't had the personnel for it since Bielik got injured and Josefzoon turned out to be out of his depth. 

I actually think if we sign another winger and a striker Whittaker could do with a League One loan, which is why I haven't included him. 

16 minutes ago, roboto said:

It's tough on the lads, but really Knight and Sibley will be fighting for the same position and maybe that is the best way to do it. Keep them fresh and be able to change them when the game needs something different or if one of them is having an off day. We shouldn't be reelying so heavily on fielding all our young players. They have time to cement their place and find their feet.

Excellent post and probably the most sensible thing I have read on here for a long time - if sibley and Knight were able to rotate from the bench with each other we would have a very fresh attacking option from midfield.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

What's his proper position with Cocu's system? There doesn't seem to be a role for him and he ends up being the guy who will do a job until the real guy can play. 

Agreed. For me, he looks like attacking minded central midfielder who'd prosper in classic 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. As such, there is not a natural position for him. I'd put Holmes in the same bracket, he is not a winger/inside forward either.

knight was overlooked for the end of season awards but he is a good player now and will mature into an even better player. against Reading when the team wasn’t playing well he still had the confidence to hit a 40 yard crossfield pass to Whittaker with pin point accuracy whilst Bird was fudging about sidewards, backwards and getting caught in possession. He is clearly very self-confident. Absolutely terrific young talent. 

whatever formation and line up we play, there has to be a spot for Jason knight. 

Under appreciated maybe, best young player is a bit of a stretch. He’s a good rotation option for me, nothing more - certainly not on the same level as Bird, who is one of the best midfielders in the division imo. He offers a lot of fight and energy though, as well as a goal threat, which god knows we need right now. Think his best position in our current system would be at number 10, and to be fair, I’d be Tempted to give him a go there now. Sibley definitely has the higher ceiling out of the two, but I think people overhype just how ready he is for regular first team football. He’s got that bit of magic, but he’s still very raw. Knight is probably the more consistent performer, so might be worth a go whilst Sibley gets a rest to recover his form.

22 minutes ago, Xlor said:

He seems to be more of a battler and a commitment type player over being quality. Like others have said, he wouldn't be in my 11 at the moment. 

He would be one of the first names on the team sheet for me , his heart , desire and commitment should be an example to all

Archived