Luton v Derby Match Thread

Boycie

39 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes I have. They are both regularly dispossessed.

There's a greater chance Shinnie is dispossessed than Sibley

Successful dribbles vs times dispossessed
Sibley - 12 vs 13
Shinnie - 8 vs 12
Knight - 11 vs 28

Giving away fouls is no not the same as stamping your mark on the midfield. 

Shinnie fouls more often than Knight

Fouls Per 90
Sibley - 2.7
Shinnie - 2.0
Knight - 1.9

They are young and it will come but they still need to be able to use their bodies to keep possession of the ball. 

Knight and Sibley play in more advanced/tighter positions so should naturally lose the ball more than someone playing much deeper.

Neither player is bullied though, as the opposition know the pair of them will get their revenge later in the game

The whole team will look better when we re-find our passing game. When we do, Knight and Sibley 's games will flourish. 

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Marriott isn’t suited by a role as lone striker. I think Rooney could help him if they played closer together. 

In a 4-3-3, definitely not. In a 4-2-3-1 with a number 10 close to him, it could work - particularly with someone like Rooney supplying pop passes in behind oppo defences for Marriott to get on the end of.

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Bird, Sibley and Knight as a midfield would get bullied. We need Shinnie to start.

I'm pretty sure this will be the starting 3 in midfield come the New Year, when the RW & CF positions are sorted to accommodate Cocu's favoured 4-3-3. Knight isn't easily dispossessed - on Tuesday night for example, he used his body well to shield the ball & win free kicks when they tried to go through him. Whilst Sibley isn't quite as secure (mainly as he's looking to be creative rather than hold - as you'd expect from a more advanced position), he's feisty enough not to be pushed around.

I’d line up:

Marshall

Byrne Wiz Clarke Fozzy

Bird Rooney

Whitaker Sibley Joz

Marriott 

Good team to counter attack with away from home. Pace up top to break on them. Rooney to play early passes to players running onto them. 

Even if we dominate the ball. They can’t press us high with that front line. As we will have opportunities to go in behind. Win-win either way.

I'd like to see this

Marshall

Byrne      Wisdom        Clarke    Buchanan

Shinnie     Knight

Whittaker          Rooney           Jozwiak

Marriott

14 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Fair comment about Rooney at number 10 to date. That said, he hasn't played the role that often for us & Tuesday was his first 90 mins since early August - I feel it is a role he could definitely offer value in given time. That said, he will also need some quality into his feet as he won't be chasing much. Without him there, I don't feel Marriott is likely to be at all effective & as he's our only genuine striker, I think needs to play.

Also think Knight is capable of playing alongside Bird. He's capable of retaining possession, tenacious & can get around the pitch (and an ideal blend to Bird) - also good cover for marauding full backs. Yes, he'd be better suited as a box to box midfielder in a 4-3-3 but not sure the front 3 are strong enough to go to that formation - it places a lot of onus on Rooney as a CF & frankly, I'm not sure he can play that role. Number 10 would be different as he could pick space in front of the centre halves, whilst Marriott threatens in behind & pressurises them with workrate.

I get your thinking and I think if you want to get the most out of Mariott it's probably something like the route you have to take. To be honest I'm not convinced it will be enough and I think Rooney will just suffer from the same issues that have Sibley has been having I.e. Mariott isn't enough of a threat so teams ignore him a bit and concentrate on stopping the actual threat. I just don't think Mariott has ever really showed enough when he's played outside of games where Waghorn has played as effectively a wide target man.

I get your reservations about Rooney up front but essentially I would have him essentially playing as a false 9, dropping off the centre halfs into the space a #10 would pick up with the likes of Knight and Sibley looking to burst past him. I think the shift in midfield shape should hopefully de-emphasise the reliance on the attacking players by giving a bit more fluidity and attacking drive in the middle. 

I don't think it's a great solution but it's what I'd try until we get the likes of Waghorn and Lawrence back/make signings.

49 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I get your thinking and I think if you want to get the most out of Mariott it's probably something like the route you have to take. To be honest I'm not convinced it will be enough and I think Rooney will just suffer from the same issues that have Sibley has been having I.e. Mariott isn't enough of a threat so teams ignore him a bit and concentrate on stopping the actual threat. I just don't think Mariott has ever really showed enough when he's played outside of games where Waghorn has played as effectively a wide target man.

I get your reservations about Rooney up front but essentially I would have him essentially playing as a false 9, dropping off the centre halfs into the space a #10 would pick up with the likes of Knight and Sibley looking to burst past him. I think the shift in midfield shape should hopefully de-emphasise the reliance on the attacking players by giving a bit more fluidity and attacking drive in the middle. 

I don't think it's a great solution but it's what I'd try until we get the likes of Waghorn and Lawrence back/make signings.

Just watch how Marriott scored goals at Posh and give him the same passes for the same runs. Do not try to invent another player. It might work.

6 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Just watch how Marriott scored goals at Posh and give him the same passes for the same runs. Do not try to invent another player. It might work.

Didn't he play as part of a 2 at Peterborough? 

Thing is I'm far from convinced that what you are describing is the solution because he just isn't really creating space for himself and just looks all a bit too easy to defend against. I'm just not really convinced he has enough about him as because he's not really showed for us outside of a 10 game-ish hot streak when we were playing really well under Lampard. 

I think he needs to be played with a physical dynamic strike partner who can occupy both centre backs and let Mariott run off him to succeed at this level. For us I think he will pretty much end up being a bench option.

Marshall

Evans. Davies. Clarke

Byrne                          Buchanan 

Bird

Knight.   Sibley.   Jozwaik. 

Rooney(c) 

Subs

Roos, Forsyth, Wisdom, Shinnie, Whitaker, Marriott. 

1 hour ago, Franks Tanked said:

Marshall

Evans. Davies. Clarke

Byrne                          Buchanan 

Bird

Knight.   Sibley.   Jozwaik. 

Rooney(c) 

Subs

Roos, Forsyth, Wisdom, Shinnie, Whitaker, Marriott. 

My team would be. 

Marshall 

Byrne.      Wisdom.  Clarke  Forsyth 

Bird.        Shinnie

Knight.            Rooney.         Kamil 

Marriott 

For me this is our best 11 at the mo. Sibley needs a rest. And Shinnie and Knight both deserve to start. Get Rooney further up to feed Kamil and Marriott, I am going for a 2 - 0, win, goals from Kamil and Marriott. 

Boys and girls, I’m feeling confident today. The missus has a right hump on her this morning and I just opened the kitchen cupboard and a can of Mr Sheen polish fell out and on to the floor.

It’s a sign.

Luton 0-2 Derby

Jozwiak and Rooney on the scoresheet. 

Man of the Match - Jozwiak 

Archived