Luton v Derby Match Thread

Boycie

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4231 -

Marshall - Byrne Wisdom Clarke Forsyth - Rooney Bird - Knight Sibley Jozwiak - Marriott

Roos Davies Buchanan Shinnie Brown Whittaker

Not sure on final bench position, either Evans or a youngster like Shonibare, Ibrahim or JHI if he is fit.

Whittaker again our only attacking option on the bench

8 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

4231 -

Marshall - Byrne Wisdom Clarke Forsyth - Rooney Bird - Knight Sibley Jozwiak - Marriott

Roos Davies Buchanan Shinnie Brown Whittaker

Not sure on final bench position, either Evans or a youngster like Shonibare, Ibrahim or JHI if he is fit.

Whittaker again our only attacking option on the bench

Could jack stretton fill a bench gap?

Would rather have a striker, no matter how young, or untried, then just pad the bench with full backs.

Couple of fairly contentious changes from me. Firstly, feel Wisdom has struggled in his first couple of matches...I'd go for Evans in place of Te Wierik instead. 

Secondly, I'd take Sibley out of the starting XI...he looks a bit jaded to me. Rooney should start but would like him at number 10, looking to hold the ball & linking the play with pacey lads around him. Hopefully, attention on Jozwiak & Rooney will give Whittaker space to make an impact also. Think would be unfair for Knight to be dropped after Tuesday so would play him in his favoured central position. Bird definitely back in also.

20200917_194407.thumb.jpg.1b7a03dac4c8b7ddc9270811993448a9.jpg

52 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Couple of fairly contentious changes from me. Firstly, feel Wisdom has struggled in his first couple of matches...I'd go for Evans in place of Te Wierik instead. 

Secondly, I'd take Sibley out of the starting XI...he looks a bit jaded to me. Rooney should start but would like him at number 10, looking to hold the ball & linking the play with pacey lads around him. Hopefully, attention on Jozwiak & Rooney will give Whittaker space to make an impact also. Think would be unfair for Knight to be dropped after Tuesday so would play him in his favoured central position. Bird definitely back in also.

20200917_194407.thumb.jpg.1b7a03dac4c8b7ddc9270811993448a9.jpg

Eh don't agree with a few things here. Honestly think Rooney has looked a bit lost when he's played at #10 for us so far. Mariott has been largely unimpactful and I don't think a deep role like that suits Knight. Also whilst I agree about Wisdom I think I'd opt for him over Evans still.

With that line up I think you'd want to swap Knight and Rooney positionally. But personally I'd go for:

Marshall

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchanan 

Bird 

Sibley     Knight 

Whittaker   Rooney   Jozwiak 

I think that until we get more attacking players signed/uninjured I think we should move away from 4231. I'm not sure they are ready for it but I think that Bird, Sibley, Knight have all the attributes to play as a 3 together and the energy of Sibley and Knight should make up for the static Rooney.

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

Eh don't agree with a few things here. Honestly think Rooney has looked a bit lost when he's played at #10 for us so far. Mariott has been largely unimpactful and I don't think a deep role like that suits Knight. Also whilst I agree about Wisdom I think I'd opt for him over Evans still.

With that line up I think you'd want to swap Knight and Rooney positionally. But personally I'd go for:

Marshall

Byrne Wisdom Clarke Buchanan 

Bird 

Sibley     Knight 

Whittaker   Rooney   Jozwiak 

I think that until we get more attacking players signed/uninjured I think we should move away from 4231. I'm not sure they are ready for it but I think that Bird, Sibley, Knight have all the attributes to play as a 3 together and the energy of Sibley and Knight should make up for the static Rooney.

Fair comment about Rooney at number 10 to date. That said, he hasn't played the role that often for us & Tuesday was his first 90 mins since early August - I feel it is a role he could definitely offer value in given time. That said, he will also need some quality into his feet as he won't be chasing much. Without him there, I don't feel Marriott is likely to be at all effective & as he's our only genuine striker, I think needs to play.

Also think Knight is capable of playing alongside Bird. He's capable of retaining possession, tenacious & can get around the pitch (and an ideal blend to Bird) - also good cover for marauding full backs. Yes, he'd be better suited as a box to box midfielder in a 4-3-3 but not sure the front 3 are strong enough to go to that formation - it places a lot of onus on Rooney as a CF & frankly, I'm not sure he can play that role. Number 10 would be different as he could pick space in front of the centre halves, whilst Marriott threatens in behind & pressurises them with workrate.

8 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Fair comment about Rooney at number 10 to date. That said, he hasn't played the role that often for us & Tuesday was his first 90 mins since early August - I feel it is a role he could definitely offer value in given time. That said, he will also need some quality into his feet as he won't be chasing much. Without him there, I don't feel Marriott is likely to be at all effective & as he's our only genuine striker, I think needs to play.

Also think Knight is capable of playing alongside Bird. He's capable of retaining possession, tenacious & can get around the pitch (and an ideal blend to Bird) - also good cover for marauding full backs. Yes, he'd be better suited as a box to box midfielder in a 4-3-3 but not sure the front 3 are strong enough to go to that formation - it places a lot of onus on Rooney as a CF & frankly, I'm not sure he can play that role. Number 10 would be different as he could pick space in front of the centre halves, whilst Marriott threatens in behind & pressurises them with workrate.

Marriott isn’t suited by a role as lone striker. I think Rooney could help him if they played closer together. 

Bird, Sibley and Knight as a midfield would get bullied. We need Shinnie to start.

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Have you watched Knight and Sibley?

Yes I have. They are both regularly dispossessed. Giving away fouls is no not the same as stamping your mark on the midfield. 

They are young and it will come but they still need to be able to use their bodies to keep possession of the ball. 

The whole team will look better when we re-find our passing game. When we do, Knight and Sibley 's games will flourish. 

Archived