Luton v Derby Match Thread

Boycie

10 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Got to love the EFL allowing home fans back in for our first away game of the season!*

*I, in no way, think there is a conspiracy against us. 

Here's the list of clubs at home this Saturday: Forest, Brentford, Boro, Reading, Blackburn, Rotherham, Sheff Weds, Luton, Norwich, Swansea, Stoke.

Boro and Norwich were chosen. Hard to argue against those selections as they're 2 of the bigger grounds in the league, with a max capacity of 33,746 and 27,244 meaning only 1 in 30 seats is occupied. But Luton's is only 10,226! Why would you choose them when you have Sheff Weds with almost 40k seats, Blackburn with over 31k, Forest and Stoke with 30k.

The location of the ground makes it an even more baffling choice with rows of houses lining the entrances, garden gates and narrow passageways to pass through to get in. Even Rotherham would have been a better choice.

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Here's the list of clubs at home this Saturday: Forest, Brentford, Boro, Reading, Blackburn, Rotherham, Sheff Weds, Luton, Norwich, Swansea, Stoke.

Boro and Norwich were chosen. Hard to argue against those selections as they're 2 of the bigger grounds in the league, with a max capacity of 33,746 and 27,244 meaning only 1 in 30 seats is occupied. But Luton's is only 10,226! Why would you choose them when you have Sheff Weds with almost 40k seats, Blackburn with over 31k, Forest and Stoke with 30k.

The location of the ground makes it an even more baffling choice with rows of houses lining the entrances, garden gates and narrow passageways to pass through to get in. Even Rotherham would have been a better choice.

Maybe they need to see how it works at different types of grounds.

It may not be 1000. Its a percentage and then no more than 1000.

https://www.lutontoday.co.uk/sport/football/luton-town/confusion-reigns-lutons-clash-rams-chosen-efl-test-event-despite-hatters-withdrawing-their-application-2973798

Luton's home match against Derby County has been thrown into disarray after the Hatters were chosen as one of the ten EFL cubs allowed to admit fans back to their ground on Saturday, just minutes after chief executive Gary Sweet stated that Town had withdrawn their application.

However, Town chief executive Sweet had stated only moments previously that Town were not looking to go ahead with the plans after not being given enough time to get ready by the EFL.

Even more incompetence from the EFL, it appears... 

Luton's statement isn't complimentary to the EFL...

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/2020/september/pilot-programme-statement/

On Tuesday at around midday, having received an email from the EFL asking for clubs to volunteer to take part, we put ourselves forward. We responded within the hour because, like many clubs, we are desperate to have our supporters back inside Kenilworth Road.

To stage a game with supporters here would take a lot of preparation time, and unfortunately, despite asking again from very early this morning, we had heard nothing from the League until a few minutes before they issued their statement stating that we were one of the clubs taking part.

Sadly, this does not give us enough time to get ready so we are unable to host spectators here for the Derby match.

49 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

EFL again P up in a brewery springs to mind. Also 27 cases per 100,000.

1 hour ago, sage said:

Maybe they need to see how it works at different types of grounds.

It may not be 1000. Its a percentage and then no more than 1000.

Spot on @Sage. They need to “test” all permutations because different types of grounds may “pose” different risks. They asked their expert, Mr Messenger, and he advised just doing it at Morecombe. 

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Luton's statement isn't complimentary to the EFL...

https://www.lutontown.co.uk/news/2020/september/pilot-programme-statement/

I’m sorry - but I think Luton are just as incompetent here. I’m not buying for one second they haven’t been “prepared” to let fans back in. Surely and by the way they offered to be a trial, they really had no “plan” in place?

Think sometimes, you have to look at your own club when you “offer” to get involved..... 

1 minute ago, Mafiabob said:

I’m sorry - but I think Luton are just as incompetent here. I’m not buying for one second they haven’t been “prepared” to let fans back in. Surely and by the way they offered to be a trial, they really had no “plan” in place?

Think sometimes, you have to look at your own club when you “offer” to get involved..... 

I would disagree. This is a complicated process. You have to contact stewards, allocate and train them. You have to select and communicate with supporters. You would only have an outline plan until a) you know you have been chosen and b) you know what exact criteria this pilot study requires. You also have the added complication of furloughed staff returning to work for a one off.   

4 minutes ago, sage said:

I would disagree. This is a complicated process. You have to contact stewards, allocate and train them. You have to select and communicate with supporters. You would only have an outline plan until a) you know you have been chosen and b) you know what exact criteria this pilot study requires. You also have the added complication of furloughed staff returning to work for a one off.   

Then why volunteer? 

11 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

So the EFL didn't bother to check if those clubs are suitably set up to host these trials?

3 minutes ago, sage said:

If they volunteered Tuesday lunchtime and pulled out Wednesday lunchtime, I'd have to ask why did they volunteer in the first place?

Also - with these trial events, anyone actually no what type of 'data' is looked at afterwards to see how they went?

anyway - this isn't a Corona thread so:

Marshall

Byrne  Wisdom   Clarke  Forsyth

Bird         Rooney

Knight            Sibley          Jozwiak

Marriott

At least Rooney in this position would look to go forward with the ball.

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

If they volunteered Tuesday lunchtime and pulled out Wednesday lunchtime, I'd have to ask why did they volunteer in the first place?

Also - with these trial events, anyone actually no what type of 'data' is looked at afterwards to see how they went?

anyway - this isn't a Corona thread so:

Marshall

Byrne  Wisdom   Clarke  Forsyth

Bird         Rooney

Knight            Sibley          Jozwiak

Marriott

At least Rooney in this position would look to go forward with the ball.

It was first thing on Tuesday.

I agree with your side though.  

Archived