Jordon Ibe - Signed on a 2 year deal

S8TY

Ordinarily I would say that this signing smacks of desperation and panic.

But let’s face it, we are genuinely desperate! You couldn’t look at our poor start and our poor financial situation and suggest otherwise.

We can’t afford to spend £2m+ on an unheralded French winger, so we have to take a different kind of risk.

This doesn’t excite me purely because I think we already have a similar player who is talented, inconsistent and a loose cannon in Tom Lawrence. I am not sure we need another one.

But I guess that’s where we are as a club, so let’s take the risk and see if we can get him fit and firing.

He has to be a better alternative to playing Knight, Holmes and Waghorn out wide, surely?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

The reason why it isn’t an ‘Anya’ is precisely what you said earlier - his loan spell with us. He showed he was a class above most players at this level. 

The other reasons being Ibe is still young and on a free this seems a very low risk signing. 

It's definately not spaffing £4M and high wages on a 30 year old championship journeyman who has never demonstrated he was ever more than that.

40 minutes ago, Patrick Rams said:

Not too sure about this one.People wetting themselves cos of a loan period of a few weeks with the occasional cameo.He's done nothing at Bournemouth in about 2 seasons.His wages would most likely be out of our price range anyway.Ask yourselves this...If Ibe was still with Bournemouth in the Championship this season would you be bricking it at the thought of us facing him? I certainly wouldn't.This move if it happened...has got "Anya" written all over it.Sorry it's a no from me.

He is on Zero wages at the current time so plenty of room for negotiation 

11 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Bit of a strange take when:

1) Sibley only played at the back end of last season

2) Was basically our only real threat in a lot of that period 

To be honest I think it's just largely a case of in the last few games that teams know that he is literally the only threat and they don't really need to worry about anyone else. Once we have other players in I think you will see him pick up space again.

Your general point about have players to rotate with is a good one though as it what crippled us in the last few games of the last season and what's hurting us now is we lack depth in those attacking areas. 

Well he played about 12  or 13 games and in the back of end of the restart games so last 5 or so, apart from against Birmingham who were crap he didn't do that much. Partly because we had players out but personally I'm not sure he's quite ready to be starting more than 15 games or so and be more than a rotation player unless he learns quickly. If we are building a team to challenge to go up which it looks like based off who we are about to sign, then I have my doubts whether he will play 40+games and be our main number 10 because he doesnt seem quite at the sort of level that would produce consistent good performances yet and he has some improving to do yet. 

if we sign Ibe and Jozwiak I would n't be surprised if we play 433 which wouldn't suit Sibley as  well I don't think as he is more of a number 10. 

45 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

He has been struggling to get Into a championship team. 
having said that, with the Polish Messi coming too I am booking my flights and Wembley hotel right now..!

Which one was that then? The one that was a premier league team the entire time he was at the club?

3 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Ordinarily I would say that this signing smacks of desperation and panic.

But let’s face it, we are genuinely desperate! You couldn’t look at our poor start and our poor financial situation and suggest otherwise.

We can’t afford to spend £2m+ on an unheralded French winger, so we have to take a different kind of risk.

This doesn’t excite me purely because I think we already have a similar player who is talented, inconsistent and a loose cannon in Tom Lawrence. I am not sure we need another one.

But I guess that’s where we are as a club, so let’s take the risk and see if we can get him fit and firing.

He has to be a better alternative to playing Knight, Holmes and Waghorn out wide, surely?

I'd be more concerned if this was our only wide/attacking signing but all signs point to that not being the case. 

Jozwiak seems to be the major signing for a wide position and there is still murmurs of us wanting a striker (which we might be keeping some money back for). Jozwiak goes along way to hopefully fixing some of the issues with attacking quality but we still sorely lack depth. 

Ibe is essentially a low risk, potentially high reward signing. He clearly has a lot of talent but lost his way at Bournemouth. On a free at worst he provides cover and competition for places but there is the potential there for him to be a very good player at this level. It's the kind of smart gamble I like the club making especially when you are trying to stretch your transfer pot.

"Signing Ibe Smacks of desperation and panic", what a joke. 

He wont have lost his pace, power and natural dribbling ability he just needs his confidence  back and a run of games. Let's be honest even if he doesn't play great at first he will be alot more threatening than Knight and Whittaker on the wings who are our options at the moment. 

8 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Well he played about 12  or 13 games and in the back of end of the restart games so last 5 or so, apart from against Birmingham who were crap he didn't do that much. Partly because we had players out but personally I'm not sure he's quite ready to be starting more than 15 games or so and be more than a rotation player unless he learns quickly. If we are building a team to challenge to go up which it looks like based off who we are about to sign, then I have my doubts whether he will play 40+games and be our main number 10 because he doesnt seem quite at the sort of level that would produce consistent good performances yet and he has some improving to do yet. 

if we sign Ibe and Jozwiak I would n't be surprised if we play 433 which wouldn't suit Sibley as  well I don't think as he is more of a number 10. 

He made 11 appearances total in the league last season, 9 starts. All of those appearances came from Blackburn onwards in a difficult run of fixtures in difficult circumstances and nearly every other attacking player being missing from the large sections of that run. And in that he scored 5 and made 2 assists. He had off games in their particularly towards the end but it's crucial to recognise that team were limping along by that point and he was essentially a marked man. 

I think it's quite likely that he plays a good amount this season and scores in double figures but with that said we need options to rotate with him, to take him out of the firing line when his form dips. 

Regarding the 433, to be honest that is where I think his best position will be in the long term; playing as one of the more advanced midfielders of the three. He has the engine, tenacity, ball carrying ability and technique to thrive in a slightly deeper role.

Where has this Sturridge link come from??

As for Jozwiak, and knowing his level. There is a chap on Twitter, a Brit expat living in Poland who I have followed for several years. Knows his stuff. Reading fan, but nobody is perfect.

He seems surprised that Jozwiak is joining Derby, he seemed to expect him to go to the Bundesliga and "could do better than Derby", but thought the player seemed set on us.

I see that as a very positive sign.

1 minute ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Where has this Sturridge link come from??

As for Jozwiak, and knowing his level. There is a chap on Twitter, a Brit expat living in Poland who I have followed for several years. Knows his stuff. Reading fan, but nobody is perfect.

He seems surprised that Jozwiak is joining Derby, he seemed to expect him to go to the Bundesliga and "could do better than Derby", but thought the player seemed set on us.

I see that as a very positive sign.

Literally it came from me saying; I wrote a post on here weeks ago saying "I can see us signing Jordon Ibe and Daniel Sturridge".

That's it.

7 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Regarding the 433, to be honest that is where I think his best position will be in the long term; playing as one of the more advanced midfielders of the three. He has the engine, tenacity, ball carrying ability and technique to thrive in a slightly deeper role.

Yeah, he’s a midfielder. He is not a number 10. The sooner he gets to play in midfield the better.

Archived