Time Travel

1961ram

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Xlor said:

I'll always remember, I was in ibiza and had to read 3 day old papers. Couldn't believe it. Mind you, it was the sun which also had Shaun Ryder down as dead until we saw him stumbling out of a shady back street club. I believe I've read bits about baggio in jim smiths autobiography too. 

It was in his autobiography.  He was in his villa and the agent asked for a million signing on fee.  He rang Pickering who agreed it.  Smith pulled out in case it limited his other transfer options. I was in Ibiza working when we signed Eranio. Remember the out of date newspapers, the good old days when you could fart without a video going online. One of them ran a story about an altercation between Dean Gaffney from Eastenders and his brother for reasons unknown.  I knew the reason and it involved some blokes from Ripley upsetting him.  

47 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

It was in his autobiography.  He was in his villa and the agent asked for a million signing on fee.  He rang Pickering who agreed it.  Smith pulled out in case it limited his other transfer options. I was in Ibiza working when we signed Eranio. Remember the out of date newspapers, the good old days when you could fart without a video going online. One of them ran a story about an altercation between Dean Gaffney from Eastenders and his brother for reasons unknown.  I knew the reason and it involved some blokes from Ripley upsetting him.  

I saw dean Gaffney in ibiza that year. I asked him where wellard was?. Bet he was really traumatised being surrounded by 10 fit blondes

6 hours ago, Longeatonram2020 said:

Wrap George Thorne in cotton wool for the whole duration of his Derby career. Huge shame in the end as I don’t think we’ve had a more talented midfielder on the books over the last decade. 

Just simply nobble the player who nobbled him, in that preseason friendly, before he could nobble him. 

Sliding doors moment, if he’d made it through that friendly, he’d have been fit all season and we’d have walked the league...

36 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Just simply nobble the player who nobbled him, in that preseason friendly, before he could nobble him. 

Sliding doors moment, if he’d made it through that friendly, he’d have been fit all season and we’d have walked the league...

It was a contactless ACL wasn’t it? 

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Money certainly could have been spent better, but I still think that was the best squad in the division. We somehow managed to simultaneously have a shocking manager and a shocking recruitment team. It didn’t exactly start well for Mel.

Hang on a minute...

I know you like to be relentlessly negative but how can we have had the best squad in the division and a shocking recruitment team?

17 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Hang on a minute...

I know you like to be relentlessly negative but how can we have had the best squad in the division and a shocking recruitment team?

Because with the money we spent, we still should have had an even better team. The division was weak that season, so best squad in the league wasn’t as much of an achievement as it has been in other seasons. And, more importantly, we should have built a more long term team. Signing ageing players like Shackell and Johnson on pretty long contracts has hurt us financially even up until now, even if they were decent players over short periods of time. The strategy hurt us that summer, not just the individuals.

22 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Mentioned that the other day.  We were a Wise, Crook and Townsend from a probable title tilt, who we were in for- till  Maxwell decided to lend Spurs a million quid to buy Lineker. An effort to butter up the purchase of the club he ultimately never got.

We would probably have had to stay lucky with injuries and Liverpool still had a very good team then imo. But it was definitely there for the taking.  Would have been a better story than the Leicester one from where we came from over 5 years.

Absolutely. The confusing thing here was that we had Pickering waiting in the wings, who genuinely wanted to pump money into the club. By the time he got his hands on it, we were second tier & he spent big on Kitson, Johnson, Short etc & achieved nowt. Not sure what the crack with Maxwell selling up to him was.

Its the most frustrating near miss in my lifetime as not only could we have won something but also would have been box office around the time of SKY getting their hands on the top division & moving the perception of football (and its most successful clubs) into another stratosphere. Think our profile as a club would've been very different.

Archived