The perfect analogy of Derby and Forest

Mafiabob

Spotted my first new  F***** away shirt yesterday , worn by a lad running for the bus i was on , when i realised the driver wasn,t going to wait for him , i burst out laughing ,  on my own , on a bus , in a mask , that,s how football gets you , it,s irrational , everyone hates the team up the road , wherever you go in the world , best not to over analyse it ! i thanked the driver as i got off 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Thats a risk. Bloke I worked with left his son to long to indoctrinate to the red shirt and being at a school in Derby he was converted by his mates on the quiet.  The hysterics when he handed the 7 yr old the carefully wrapped red shirt were something to behold. Almost as bad as his dads hysterics returning it and having to get him a shiny white one to be like his mates.

Ultimately it will be their decision at the end of the day but reading “When I grow up I want to play for Derby County” to her since the age of 2 is working so far!! ?

18 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Aren't Derby and Forest now the top 2 teams with regards to longevity in the Championship. Would explain a lot. At least we got to a couple of playoff finals I guess.

We are the joint longest serving teams in the Championship atm, but Derby have now overtaken Ipswich to hold the record for most Championship seasons in total at 16. We do have the joint record for most playoff appearances as well though (and playoff failures), so thats nice at least.

18 hours ago, David said:

Forest are rivals, we're not obsessed it's a rivalry, we're going to look out for their scores as they are us. When the fixtures are announced they are the first games we look for, let's not pretend we're above all that.

Does it make our game any better? No, but I won't lie I take some comfort in their defeats as with Leeds. 

You mean Leeds' Derby are insignificant to us' Utd. This tit hired a plane to fly over Derbyshire we bother them that little. Rent free

4 hours ago, hales300k said:

Spotted my first new  F***** away shirt yesterday , worn by a lad running for the bus i was on , when i realised the driver wasn,t going to wait for him , i burst out laughing ,  on my own , on a bus , in a mask , that,s how football gets you , it,s irrational , everyone hates the team up the road , wherever you go in the world , best not to over analyse it ! i thanked the driver as i got off 

In fairness to you and the bus driver, how long would you have been expected to wait? It really cant be thay easy to run when your knuckles are dragging along pavement.

Take great pleasure in beating the red dogs. Leeds are certainly my second hated team now, back in late 90s onwards it was Leicester. 
We never seem up for the Leicester matches anymore when we were playing them a few years back. Quite enjoyed the late 90s rivalry there, players never seem up for it either! 
Derby Forest with no fans just isn’t the same.

46 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Proud of you for not passing off a Tweet as your own for once!

I give them acknowledgement, they get more presence because of my social status. They know I influence.....

3 hours ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Take great pleasure in beating the red dogs. Leeds are certainly my second hated team now, back in late 90s onwards it was Leicester. 
We never seem up for the Leicester matches anymore when we were playing them a few years back. Quite enjoyed the late 90s rivalry there, players never seem up for it either! 
Derby Forest with no fans just isn’t the same.

Exactly this. There was real needle between Derby & Leicester throughout the 90's - started with us taking Kitson off them, the 1994 playoff final & of course we both went up together in 95/96 and were vying with each other for European spots by 1997/98. And don't think many will forget Burley trying to throttle Robbie Savage. Sure I also read Gerald Mortimer once saying the Foxes were our natural rivals, not Forest.

The Derby/Forest thing has definitely got worse over the last 15 years & the frustration of consistent failure on both sides is probably driving it as there is very little outside our squabbles to engage the fans. When you think back, until this era we often dovetailed with Forest - i.e. when we were very good, they were useless or vice versa. I think this was the nub of Mortimer's argument as we tended to be around Leicester in football terms - that of course changing dramatically in the last 5 years.

I agree with you on many things @LeedsCityRam but I'm not with you on Leicester. I've never really been bothered about them.

The penalty dive was more about Savage than it was Leicester. 

I was actually delighted when they won the Premier League to stuff it up the "big boys".

Nah, to me, the number #1 rival was, is and always will be Leeds.

In the 70s, it was also Liverpool.

Later, it intensified with Forest and I do agree that gets bigger each year.

I remain indifferent to Leicester.

15 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I agree with you on many things @LeedsCityRam but I'm not with you on Leicester. I've never really been bothered about them.

The penalty dive was more about Savage than it was Leicester. 

I was actually delighted when they won the Premier League to stuff it up the "big boys".

Nah, to me, the number #1 rival was, is and always will be Leeds.

In the 70s, it was also Liverpool.

Later, it intensified with Forest and I do agree that gets bigger each year.

I remain indifferent to Leicester.

Fair enough fella - I think you mentioned previously you'd lived in Wakefield so totally get the Leeds thing. Despite meeting a few of the idiots up here, I've grown to tolerate them & I also refuse to feed their ego by buying into the 'everyone hates us because we're important' narrative.

Personally I found Leicester's title win unbearable but each to their own. Think age plays a part here - I started following Derby around 1987 as a Northern lad so the 90s seemed more about the Foxes than Forest. By the time we were playing Forest regularly, we were both crap so I now associate them & the rivalry with them (as the OP suggests) with the stench of failure.

8 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Fair enough fella - I think you mentioned previously you'd lived in Wakefield so totally get the Leeds thing. Despite meeting a few of the idiots up here, I've grown to tolerate them & I also refuse to feed their ego by buying into the 'everyone hates us because we're important' narrative.

Personally I found Leicester's title win unbearable but each to their own. Think age plays a part here - I started following Derby around 1987 as a Northern lad so the 90s seemed more about the Foxes than Forest. By the time we were playing Forest regularly, we were both crap so I now associate them & the rivalry with them (as the OP suggests) with the stench of failure.

Nah, the hatred of Leeds predated my time in Wakey.... It's from the Clough-Revie rivalry in the 70s.

2 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I actually dislike Leeds more and not because of the Clough thing either. With Forest is just bants and bragging rights really though clearly I'd be happy to seem them relegated.

Same. 

Forest are rivals and we have that traditional rivalry, but Leeds, ugh, I won’t lie my dislike stems from the spygate issue, but just their fans, they make the club so easy to dislike more with how they behave and they are everywhere like a case of head lice at school. 

I have a mate that’s a Leeds fan, could only give him an evening invite to my wedding as I can’t bare to spend any more time with his company.

On 12/09/2020 at 18:39, Mafiabob said:

You’d be hard pressed to see a better one

i think these two might work as well. 

Neighbours, constantly trying to get one over on each other, both thinking they are better than each other and both have their best years behind them.

cissie.jpg

It was only a few weeks ago that our season finished like a squib that was so moist, it was dripping down it’s own leg!  And yet I, along with many others on here, couldn’t sleep that night, due to the sheer joy and constant guffawing at the way the Chien Rouge finished their own season in a far more entertaining way!

So yeah, there’s a rivalry as far as I’m concerned, but I wouldn’t say there was any hatred on my part.

#banternotbitter 

Archived