Centre Forward

Beardmm

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

duck me! If we get Sharp in after loosing Chris Martin, it’s time for all of our recruitment team to resign! We need a striker who can hold the ball up and bring others into play. 

Sharp is your poacher and very much in Marriott’s mould. He thrived in Wilders side in the champ because of the sheer amount of opportunities The team created. 

The new lad who comes in needs to contribute to our build up play, something I can’t see sharp doing.

Hopefully Cocu knows someone as our recruitment team don’t seem great. I’m sure it’s them who recommended Darlow, Paterson, Hamer and Clarke as I can’t see Cocu knowing a thing about them, plus he came late in pre season so not much chance to watch. I know Clarke turned out great but the other 3 were disasters. 

And literally can’t remember the last decent foreign import we had. Hopefully MTW turns out to be class, but sitting here I literally can’t think of the last one. 

Hiya guys, as the name suggests blade in peace here. Just my input regards sharp, think he'd be a top signing for you guys, hold up play is excellent, not the fastest player on the pitch but has the knack for finding the back of the net inside the box. Just like to ask your guys opinions on Bogle and Lowe? 

7 minutes ago, Bladeinpeace said:

Hiya guys, as the name suggests blade in peace here. Just my input regards sharp, think he'd be a top signing for you guys, hold up play is excellent, not the fastest player on the pitch but has the knack for finding the back of the net inside the box. Just like to ask your guys opinions on Bogle and Lowe? 

We desperately need the ball to stick up front so anyone that can do that is going to improve us. Always liked Sharp but always assumed he was more of a master poacher than a focal point. Happy to be wrong of course.

Re Lowe and Bogle. The strengths of both are probably as attack-minded fullbacks/wing backs rather than as out and out orthodox defenders. Most would probably say that Bogle was seen as the more talented but I suspect that we still didn't see the best of him last year. He certainly likes to get forward but maybe we hoped to see a bit more by way of assists. It has felt likely for a while that a top flight team would take a punt on Bogle but in truth I'm slightly surprised by Lowe. We've seen some good things at times from him but he didn't seem like the obvious choice for an upgrade to Premier League team.

18 minutes ago, Bladeinpeace said:

Cheers for your feedback on Sharp. This is my personal opinion on your two new signings, bearing in mind it may vary from others opinions. Whilst both are talented players they are far from the finished article but I suspect your recruitment team will have already seen this and they are probably a punt on their potential. Bogle is a very skillful player and can be a handful offensively although his final delivery needs working on. His defensive side also needs working on but age is very much on his side to improve on both. If he does improve then you have certainly bagged yourselves a bargain. Max Lowes main attribute is his reading of the game in respect of nipping in and intercepting the ball. He was very impressive filling in at right back for us last season even though he is predominantly left footed. I have to say with him being older than JB then I have reservations as to whether he has what it takes to up his game to Premier League level. Good luck for the season and I genuinely hope both turn out to be successful for you.

Wing back roles might suit both.

Bogle was criticised for his defending but it was more a case of when he went forward, no- one else covered.

lowe is comfortable on the ball but lacked concentration. Often beaten on the far post. Never had a great engine. Used to trot back. Always felt there was lots more to give than we ever got. But would still have been my first choice LB. he needs games. 

49 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

We desperately need the ball to stick up front so anyone that can do that is going to improve us. Always liked Sharp but always assumed he was more of a master poacher than a focal point. Happy to be wrong of course.

Re Lowe and Bogle. The strengths of both are probably as attack-minded fullbacks/wing backs rather than as out and out orthodox defenders. Most would probably say that Bogle was seen as the more talented but I suspect that we still didn't see the best of him last year. He certainly likes to get forward but maybe we hoped to see a bit more by way of assists. It has felt likely for a while that a top flight team would take a punt on Bogle but in truth I'm slightly surprised by Lowe. We've seen some good things at times from him but he didn't seem like the obvious choice for an upgrade to Premier League team.

He's one of the best players I've seen (sharp) at holding the ball and putting himself between the defender and the ball, at times in our promotion season his ability to hold up play for our wingbacks and cbs was vital. He's an absolute fox in the box, and even now we're in the premier League, if there's one player I feel comfortable about scoring inside the box it's sharp. Heard a lot about Bogle, from what I've read on this forum he seems good going forwards and not so good defensively. But I think that'd suit him as we play to his strengths, and like the wingbacks up the pitch in attacking positions. Lowe is one I've not heard much about if I'm honest. 

I think if your style is quite 'front foot' then Bogle might be a good fit then, his natural instinct is to get forward. I'm not overly surprised that you don't know much about Lowe tbh. We sent him to Aberdeen for a year to get some football as we couldn't guarantee that. I think we hoped that he'd make the shirt his own when he came back. He's never seemed to quite be able to do that though despite some good performances along the way. He also did a really good job filling in on the right when asked so he's flexible. I guess the Lowe part of the deal was small change really so no real risk to you.

Sharp is an interesting option. Some will no doubt raise an eyebrow at his age but if he's never been lightning quick then he's not had that to lose. We need someone who can lead the line and allow us to get other players up and around them and if they are a natural finisher with a proven goalscoring record at this level then all the better. Who knows.. we need something though as we just don't look like scoring.

Archived