New Highway Code rules - "Fun" Quiz time

Wolfie

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JoetheRam said:

7/10.

Cyclists should apparently ride in the middle of the road and not keep close to the kerb (as would surely be common sense) and I should now wave pedestrians across the road in front of me in slow moving traffic.

Those were the two I got wrong - both dangerous ideas and likely to end up with folk getting killed. 

If you ride a bike in the centre of the lane and a vehicle appears (particularly at pace) you’ll need to move quickly out of the way which is far more likely to result in an inexperienced cyclist wobbling about or worse falling off - if the cyclist is riding in the correct position the issue doesn’t occur....

As for the waving pedestrians across - ridiculous - what if a following vehicle (particularly something like a motorcycle) doesn’t see the pedestrians and thinks I’m fannying about so goes to overtake - you’ve suddenly waved the pedestrians onto the very bit of road that a vehicle is about to accelerate onto. Pedestrians should cross when they have a clear piece of road and it’s safe to do so, not when a random driver decides to encourage them onto the road....

What a load of old rowlocks. Knowing what the rules of the Highway Code are and actually applying them are two totally different things. They should have added a rule about middle lane motorway hoggers being chemically neutered when caught. Or people driving at 30 mph in a 40 zone when there is absolutely no traffic whatsoever around is a clear day and perfectly dry conditions.

I think the only one I don't really understand is the pedestrian one.. If it is not busy (ie it is safe to stop or slow to let pedestrians cross) then what's the point because they would easily be able to cross after you've driven past them? 

Cyclists should ride in the middle when it's quiet because the gutter area is worse. 

It was always my understanding that pedestrians crossing a side road have right of way over traffic turning in but I don't trust angry drivers not to kill me unfortunately. 

Again, if I'm cycling I would not trust a driver not to turn into me if I undertook it knowing they're turning left. The amount of times you get cars overtaking you to immediately turn left.... 

3 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

7/10.

Cyclists should apparently ride in the middle of the road and not keep close to the kerb (as would surely be common sense) and I should now wave pedestrians across the road in front of me in slow moving traffic.

1 hour ago, Gaspode said:

Those were the two I got wrong - both dangerous ideas and likely to end up with folk getting killed. 

If you ride a bike in the centre of the lane and a vehicle appears (particularly at pace) you’ll need to move quickly out of the way which is far more likely to result in an inexperienced cyclist wobbling about or worse falling off - if the cyclist is riding in the correct position the issue doesn’t occur....

As for the waving pedestrians across - ridiculous - what if a following vehicle (particularly something like a motorcycle) doesn’t see the pedestrians and thinks I’m fannying about so goes to overtake - you’ve suddenly waved the pedestrians onto the very bit of road that a vehicle is about to accelerate onto. Pedestrians should cross when they have a clear piece of road and it’s safe to do so, not when a random driver decides to encourage them onto the road....

Same two wrong for me as well.

I got 9/9... but only because I got a heads up on these so called new updated amendments a couple of weeks ago, and speed read through the main points!

I’ve been trying to get in the habit of using the Dutch Reach since I read about it then.

Unfortunately, I’m in big chunky  mpv, with a big chunky pillar over my right shoulder (to take a big chunky electric sliding rear door) and immediately beyond that pillar, is the darkest tinted window I was allowed by law (apparently it’s formerly 90%, but now “Limo tint” according to VW when I spec’d it up?)

That poor cyclist stood more of a chance when I was allowed to rely on my door mirror, before opening my door!  

Besides, as a cyclist myself, I still prefer to give parked cars a wide berth (more than a car door width, obvs!) rather than rely on a driver (and/or rear seat passenger) thinking to check for cyclists before opening their door!  

14 hours ago, Gaspode said:

It must be the numpty who wrote the article framing the situation in an odd manner. There's no way it can be written like that in the highway code. If your first obligation, before even checking your mirrors, is to wave pedestrians across the road it will end with people getting injured and people getting sued.

1/9

There I was happily choosing all of the wrong answers, entirely on purpose, when out of the blue it reveals that some joker has decreed that pedestrians should just walk out into the road at any point (quick, concrete over those pelican crossings!), safe in the knowledge that all drivers & cyclists are mind readers with 360 degree vision who will slow down to a stop for them.

On 08/09/2020 at 20:49, Tyler Durden said:

What a load of old rowlocks. Knowing what the rules of the Highway Code are and actually applying them are two totally different things. They should have added a rule about middle lane motorway hoggers being chemically neutered when caught. Or people driving at 30 mph in a 40 zone when there is absolutely no traffic whatsoever around is a clear day and perfectly dry conditions.

Nothing wrong with that. If it's clear and there's no traffic, you can overtake.

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Nothing wrong with that. If it's clear and there's no traffic, you can overtake.

I was coming more from the point that you're meant to drive at an appropriate speed according to the road conditions which people don't seem to classify as being a driving offense just as speeding is.

I've never in my experience known of anyone pulled up by the police for driving at an absolutely inappropriate slow speed and given points and an endorsement accordingly. 

On 08/09/2020 at 19:34, Gaspode said:

I don't believe that is what it says.

For a start, it's in 'slow moving traffic'. Opportunities to overtake aren't exactly frequent in a traffic jam and motorcyclists also need to be aware and responsible for their own safety and the safety of others. Nobody should just wham the brakes on and let pedestrians across.

I love driving a little slower when on the home stretch, windows down, waiting for the 9 minute rock song to reach its final bars before pulling up onto my driveway. If people want to overtake me that's up to them.

Sometimes I've even known people drive up alongside me, look my way and start singing along to the music before speeding off ahead, clearly it has an energising effect on them although I'm not sure why their faces are often so red, and despite their best efforts they clearly don't actually know the lyrics.

Archived